Why do you care so much about lore-friendly mods?

Joedpa

I understand the desire to install a mod while maintaining the true feeling of the game. Install something that does not change the story too much and so still enjoy playing it.

But what is the purpose of mods then? Appart from including things that the original creators could not include in the final release of the game, it should also be about playing somethin new inside the same game.

For me, a good mod is the one that gives you:

- Something you would love to see inside the game. (no matter what it is)

- Includes something new. (not something that was lacking, something new)

- Makes you continue playing even if you finished the game already.

I already beated up Skyrim on PS3 and got all trophies, so I mod my game in order to have a different experience while still playing the same game.

That's why I love mods that adds powers, quests, transformations, and other fantasy things. That's my taste. But I also like mods that give you a new feature inside the game that does not have to be lore-friendly. Like "Familiar Faces".

Quest mods that does not need to be tied to the backstory of the Elder Scrolls, just that feel good and uses the gameplay at it's fullest.

I mean, once you already played the game, why would you not want to innovate and break your limitations?

Edited by Joedpa

For me, I only mod games I like. There are some things which make any game unique and fun for the player. At some point, "innovative" mods no longer seem to support whatever basic interest I have in that game. In this case, I like mods which merge into my "idea" of Skyrim and the TES series. There are an almost infinite number of things to mod in any game without moving away from what makes that game unique.

Had a long discussion on the Brodual video of Dwemertech.

Apparently modern dwemer are supposed to be using steam power and nothing else, because they did in the abandoned cities on Nirn 4800 years earlier. Otherwise it wasn't lore friendly. :sad:

Edited by EnaiSiaion

For me (with Morrowind anyway, I am playing Skyrim mod free right now), the only mods I would create and play would be lore friendly. If you put something to outlandish in the game it 1 takes away from the true feeling of the game. If you install a mod that makes you the High King/ Queen of Skyrim, you would be interfering with a huge part of The Civil War questline. Unless the modder made included it, there would be no Moot, and you would be automatically made High King. Whats the fun in that? The Dragonborn is to be a War-Hero. Not the High King. 2 makes the game so different (or easy) to the point to where the game isnt fun anymore. There is a mod (forgot the title) that makes it to where you hit 700 damage per hit. Im level 27 and I hit 43 with The Mace of Molag Bal, and that is one of the better weapons of them game.

But anyway, I digress and I got off topic. Sorry about that

But to answer your question, if its not in lore and to outlandish to be believable, or its too powerful, its takes away all the fun for me.

Mainly because the "un-lorefriendly" category of Nexus looks like it came out of an anime for schoolgirls... a style I don't particualrly care for.

That being said, I like "coherent" stories. So while having Laser Swords in a game is fantastic, it does give me a "w t f" moment and kinda disrupts form the story, if they appear in a medieval-ish setting like Skyrim's.

Had a long discussion on the Brodual video of Dwemertech.

Apparently modern dwemer are supposed to be using steam power and nothing else, because they did in the abandoned cities on Nirn 4800 years earlier. Otherwise it wasn't lore friendly. :sad:

Well, I don't care XD. And I'm just about to play your quest mod. Just let my mage get there :smile:

Btw: I love quest mods, so I love you...

It breaks continuity. It breaks immersion; it ruins the coherency of the in-game 'universe'.

Well, I believe there is a difference between doing something different and doing something ridiculous, lol.

it does give me a "w t f" moment and kinda disrupts form the story, if they appear in a medieval-ish setting like Skyrim's.

But still makes the game fun. True, maybe it does not belong to Skyrim. But you have to remember this: "It is a mod". It doesn't matter, it does not have to be perfect. For me it just has to be fun and make you think "man, that looks cool, I'm going to stick with it".

-----------------------------------

I have 5 characters, and I'm pretty sure if you check my signature that they do not feel too Skyrim-like, haha. But as I said, sometimes you just have to ignore that in order to feel good with your experience even if it not belongs 100% in there.

And... you know... if you already completed the game.

Edited by Joedpa

When I am exploring mods, I definitely consider lore (though I am not that well versed in TES lore, I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim) that being said, I will use a mod that looks interesting and could also deviate from 'strict lore' adherence....If it doesn't spin the story off in a totally different direction, or conflict, or mess up the lore aspect completely.

In other words, I think that "Lore friendly" is different the "lore obsessed". JMHO.

Plus, it seems to me that with every TES game that is released, different aspects of the story arise. I mean, if the next TES episode is ever released, who knows what it will add to lore? Rather than adhere to a strict lore code of honor (as far as I can garner) on my tenth play through, I may deviate a little to rehydrate a game that may be getting a little stale...

Nothing the OP describes is actually "Lore Unfriendly"

A "Lore Unfriendly" mod is usually a stupid mod that does something daft:

EG

1. changes Skeevers into Care Bears

2. rewrites history so the Warp in the West and The Cataclysm never happened

3. makes Boris Johnson Jarl of Whiterun

4. Makes Adolf Hitler the leader of the Stormcloaks

5. Turns Dwemer constructs into Lego Transformers

6. Turns the Dragonborn or the Nerevarine into a 60 foot tall, mini-skirted, Japanese Manga school girl with stockings, suspenders, frilly knickers and a satchel

7. Replaces weapons with lasers and firearms

8. has space ships instead of dragons

9. changes Imperial Armour to Apollo Space suits

10. Dresses the Greycloaks in rubber bondage gimp outfits

Etc.

There are less extreme examples that have things different for the timeline, setting and history, but that does not really include magick spells, new skills, perk tree overhauls etc.

I have not seen this mod, but it is already "Lore Unfriendly" in that there ARE no modern Dwemer on Nirn.

So if you want to make a mod where there are still living Dwemer, and you want to update the technology to use fractiles of coherence condensed by probablistic progression of Earth Bone harmonics via transcendental tone migrations of lightning and animus gradient depression to force the mundus to adopt a positive retrotangential dispersion of energetic globes, that's your business.

Any one who says it is not Lore Friendly "because it does not use Steam Power" is an idiot. You have changed history already, so go for it.

On the other hand, if you are travelling back into the past before the Battle of Red Mountain, then they would have a point.

And what do they think powers the lightning weapon effect of the Centurions? And why are all those broken soul gem fragments lying around, and what is that wispy, misty stuff trailing from the soul gem when you kill one?

"Steam", my arse!

~