Why do you care so much about lore-friendly mods?

Joedpa

I just sometimes think like that: The creators of the Elder Scrolls world put so much Effort into the historical, magical and metaphysical workings of the TES universe. There's an abundance of examples for almost every quirk you could ever come up with.

You want spaceships? Apparently the Direnni Tower originally was one.

You like Asian culture? Slap an "Akaviri" tag on it.

You want a friggin GENOCIDICAL HOMOSEXUAL ROBOT FROM FUTURE? Pelinal, my friend. Pelinal.

Almost any creature on Nirn exists as a "Were-" form, too.

You can become anything that's ever lived by Mantling it.

If you need to become a god, there's about six different ways Vivec tells us about.

If it's simply Immortality you're seeking, you can go for (1) Divinity (see above), (2) becoming a vampire, (3) becoming a Lich (Undeath: most awesome Lore friendly mod I've seen to date), (4) fulfilling a Prophecy and probably a lot others I've forgotten.

The history of Nirn has cults, religions, Saints and gods for almost any ridiculous purpose and personal taste.

Heroes of all sorts are to be found in every corner of Tamriel.

What more could you possibly need?

(yea, light sabers, of course)

Now let's go back to your issues with lore. So for you, the lore is a boundary, and not a framework?

It's just that sometimes I feel that when someone makes a quest mod that it's not 100% lore-friendly then they automatically dislike it in some way instead of ignoring it.

I mean, it's a MOD after all, and you can do anything you want with it.

You are not the creator of the game, nor your mod is going to be included in the next TES game (or is it?...)

Sometimes I feel disappointing when people just don't want to have fun outside the lore. It's like they feel it's their work and duty to stick with it. But it is not, it's an option, maybe a very popular one, but it is still something they do for free and because they like it.

I think it's the other way round (apart from dissent for mis-reporting your mod as lore-friendly when it obviously is not) - the uniform praise for one's work comes only from the small circle of friends and family, while for general audience it might be "meh"-inducing. Unless it features some disitinct quality. Being compatible with the setting is one of such qualities; there are others...

If we narrow this to quest mods, then total conversions suits better lore-undfriendly stories; but total conversions can be harder to make, and - moreover - if you aim for a total conversion, you may choose different engine (or even write your own), so in the end we don't get so much of them here.

It's just that sometimes I feel that when someone makes a quest mod that it's not 100% lore-friendly then they automatically dislike it in some way instead of ignoring it.

I mean, it's a MOD after all, and you can do anything you want with it.

You are not the creator of the game, nor your mod is going to be included in the next TES game (or is it?...)

Sometimes I feel disappointing when people just don't want to have fun outside the lore. It's like they feel it's their work and duty to stick with it. But it is not, it's an option, maybe a very popular one, but it is still something they do for free and because they like it.

Well, think about where you are posting; a SKYRIM forum. Why isn't this just a GAME MODS forum or FUN MODS forum? Particular characteristics lead particular people to all sorts of "favorite" things; friends, art, movies, colors, food, activities. Its all subjective. People who like lore will express their negative opinions of lore-unfriendly mods, whether its in Skyrim, FNV, or any other game. People who don't care about the lore aspect will express counter opinions. Different people have different tastes; its not a conspiracy to automatically denigrate mods based on lore. The mods you deem to be "fun" will not be so to others, regardless of any free-form artistic license used in the creation of those mods. If you could determine the source of your confusion here, I daresay you should be in politics, or advertising.

Edited by Lord Garon

@Joedpa

Obsessive people are compelled to express their negative opinions on any bloody thing,doesn't matter what it is.

Modders that create mods contrary to the obsessive views of these people can expect to be bombarded with post after post of inane babbling.

Don't let it get under your skin,in fact, report them because they aren't supposed to be commenting on mods they're not going to use.

I see.

Then what is the percentage of people who preffer lore-friendly mods?

Like... 90%? XD

Minorities are almost always the most vocal, so it's difficult to judge percentages based on what people say.

Based on the most endorsed and most downloaded mods, the overwhelmingly most popular mods are gameplay ones. These are rather a moot arguement because they aren't really lore breaking or friendly.

Following them, there are the retextures, again not really lore breaking of friendly.

When you get into content mods, there seems to be a roughly 50/50 split in popularity... The overwhelmingly most popular mods which I would call 'lore breaking' are aesthetic mods designed to make, primarily females, look pretty.

Overall, I would say that at most 50% of mod users prefer Lore friendly ms, but even a small percentage of those are so dogmas ic that they won't touch anything else. And am even smaller percentage will go out of their way to condemn people.

I don't really care about the Lore. I play the game and enjoy it. but that said I still do tend to lean on Lore friendly mods. I installed a Monster mod a little bit ago, it has a Lore friendly and a regular version, I tried the regular version but switched to the Lore Friendly version later in my play through because I felt the dinosaurs were out of place and detracted from my enjoyment.

The mods I use are usually gameplay mods, I like a more involved crafting/enchanting system I like to remove the tedium of things while still making things fun and challenging. I don't fault people for not liking the same mods I do. nor do I fault people who want to have dragons look like Toy trains.