Adding a Companion to NWN2 OC

Xxtayce

An able learner is no bother. And I do want to encourage people in modding the main campaigns, because it isn't done very often. Be aware that if you attempt to save changes directly into areas, those changes won't show up if you've already been to the module that contains that area. That's why I do things through script -- because it works whether you've been there or not, and of course it makes for tiny mod distributions.

Can you show me what you're seeing with Valen's properties? A screenshot, perhaps, or by sending me the UTC file? You can export it as an ERF from the File menu if that's easier for you.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screenshot below, if I did it right :)

One other question - heavy flail was removed and replaced with just flail? I usually play variations on casters so I'm not as familiar with fighter types. I'm assuming that's why the default package is called NPC_Ft_WeaponMaster_Valen_CUT now? (So if I tried to use it, it would bug/crash since there isn't his default Heavy Flail any more?)

I remember there being a bit of a fuss about the nwn2 scripting being different from nwn1, but it's been so long since I was in the nwn1 toolset that it probably won't be too hard for me to learn the new way things are done for nwn2.

Eventually I'd like to have the companions be a small add-on in the override folder done via script as much as possible, so that it's redistributable. I doubt I'm the only one who misses some of the nwn1 chars, and if I ever have to reinstall or get a new machine, it's stored somewhere for me to redownload again.

Ah, okay. Use the conversation field under the Basics header of the first Properties tab, not the one in the Basics tab.

properties.gif

I also play casters and don't usually use flails, but I checked the feat list, and there's only one flail type mentioned there, and same for the item blueprints. No heavy flails in sight. I don't know what would happen if you tried to use that Valen package, but you could always edit the 2DA to make it use non-heavy flails.

I don't know what the fuss would have been about. I used LilacSoul's Script Generator early in my modding, and the NWN1 code it generated worked fine in NWN2. I've also adapted scripting systems from NWN1 to NWN2 with the only change being greater flexibility since NWN2 supports parameters in scripts. As far as I know, there are only a few constants that aren't used anymore like for special effects, since NWN2 uses a new kind of visual effect system.

Thanks :) It's a bit confusing finding things in several places. I'll try to remember to do so in the future.

The conversation editor for nwn2 is daunting, not gonna lie! It seems like not all sounds are available/easily found like they were in nwn1. Do I need to open up a file (like with 2da editor, or something?) to see which sound names exist? Or copy/paste sound names from nwn1 with a trial/error method to see if they work?

Re: Fuss - I may be misremembering, or it may have been a general 'wtf' of the community opening the new toolset and not finding anything they were familiar with. I tend to make things harder on myself than they need to be, so I never used the script generator and tried to figure out how to script things manually. Took twice as long and half of them broke when the final nwn1 patch came out :/

That's my last bit of bugging you for the evening, I swear.

Don't worry -- if I don't have time to respond at the moment, I'll respond when I do.

There are several ways of finding and previewing sounds/voices. First, I must recommend the toolset plugins Powerbar and Usability Tools. One of them, not sure which, adds (among countless indispensable tools) a browse menu where you can scan through lists of things like sounds and visual effects, and pick the ones you want. Another way, and I don't know if this is a part of the toolset or if it was added by one of those plugins too, but you can click on the dropdown menu for the sound field, filter through it with a search bar, and preview any of the sounds from it in that same dropdown menu.

For extra convenience, I copied all of the sounds from the data folder and converted them to mp3s so I can search/filter through them in Windows and play them in Winamp. Makes it very easy to find the sounds I want.

Hmm. Discovering that although Valen's voiceset seems there for the selecting, when you click play, nothing happens. I'm wondering if the SoU/HotU voices were stripped out of nwn2 for some reason.

That being said, I vaguely recall being able to pull out sound files from nwn1 some how. I have an old copy of the nwn viewer from before the vault vanished, but I can't for the life of me remember how to use it. I'm thinking i can extract the voices, make a .tlk file or somesuch for the override folder, and use it. The voices seem to still be an option so it's probably still referenced in .2da files somewhere.

See what I meant about making things harder on myself than necessary? I never go for the easy stuff, oh no.

Hmm. In looking at it, while it has all the companion voice commands, it's missing any of his storyline recorded voice. Can you point me at a link to instruct on how to get those out of nwn1? I'm thinking to crop out references to the Seer and the Valsharess so that he can have some spoken lines before you get him, and maybe have some interactive conversation between.

Side question - do I need to (or should I) convert the wav files into a nwn file? (Like a .tlk or whatever is used for audio files?)

Last side question for the moment - best way to add in a new NPC to be a companion? I'm wondering if making one of the doors in the docks district be usable to a new area would work, so that people who are already midway through the campaign could get him if they wanted? Or is that (once again) making things more difficult than necessary?

Edited by Xxtayce