Do alpha brushes work in GIMP?

AxlDave

I downloaded some alpha brushes and was wondering if GIMP 2 supported them? If so, does it require a plugin and could someone provide a download link? Also, which folder do I place the brushes in? I have GIMP 2 installed in Program Files (not Program Files (x86)).

--EDIT--

Okay, I found out where GIMP keeps its brushes. New problem: The brushes I have are file extension .PSD and .ZBP. GIMP uses .GBR or .GIH. Is there an easy way to convert these, like an import option or something?

Edited by AxlDave

From all the videos I've been watching trying to learn UV mapping I do believe it does support alpha. You have to use a format capable or storing alpha information such as PNG format, however.
I COULD be wrong (almost positive it does though), I personally have never used GIMP. I learned everything I know about texturing and photo editing in Paint.net. As for plugins and that stuff, I have no clue. Hopefully someone else more familiar with GIMP will be able to assist you with it.

I apologize, but I don't have any clue where you can find one. I only knew about it from all the tutorials I've been watching on texturing and uv mapping. GIMP seems to be pretty common with modders though, so hopefully someone else more familiar with the program can help you out.

[Edit]: If no one can help you, I would recommend trying paint.net. It's another free program like GIMP and it does support alpha texturing. It's the only image editor I've used for years. It supports PNG format as well as DDS which is what most games use anyway. :smile:

Edited by Snowman1944

.ZBP are Zbrush brushes.

Ok cool, so what would I need to open them?

.PSD is PhotoShop Document, which can be opened in GIMP. Open it and save it as a brush (http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/)

See, I tried that and it said there was an error:

Opening 'C:\Users\Axl Dave\Downloads\Alpha Brushes\XMD_Drag_Brushes_Set1\XMD_Blob_D\XMD_Blob_D.PSD' failed: Error loading PSD file: Unsupported color mode: MULTICHANNEL

Not sure what that means... I'm guessing it's packaged in a way that GIMP can't handle?

It uses multichannel colour mode, instead of RGB.

To be able to open it in GIMP you have to convert it into RGB color. I accomplished this by using a software called ImageMagick: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows

Here is a tutorial on converting: http://www.openmutual.org/2011/08/converting-cmyk-psd-files-for-use-in-gimp/

If you're new with using commands;

Press Windows key + R to bring up Run and type in "cmd" (w/o quotes) and hit enter, it will bring up a command prompt

Now navigate to the directory where your .psd is located (e.g. \Pictures). To change directory type "cd Directory\Subdirectory\etc", in your case, cd "Downloads\Alpha Brushes\XMD_Drag_Brushes_Set1\XMD_Blob_D\"

(with double quotes in-between directory)

now type the command shown in the tutorial (TIP: copy the command, then right click the title bar in your command window > edit > paste)

Remember to replace input.psd with the name of your psd.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Edited by imu333

Cheers man, I'm gonna give that a go, see what I can do.

--EDIT--

Okay, so the converting and everything seems to work, cheers for that. The brush isn't quite what I think it should be though... But I've never done this before so I'm not sure. When I use it in GIMP, it doesn't seem very textured or anything.

Edited by AxlDave

Cheers man, I'm gonna give that a go, see what I can do.

--EDIT--

Okay, so the converting and everything seems to work, cheers for that. The brush isn't quite what I think it should be though... But I've never done this before so I'm not sure. When I use it in GIMP, it doesn't seem very textured or anything.

An alpha is used in sculpting software such as Zbrush to give the surface a texture in form of geometry. This is handy when making worn surfaces, or adding screws to your mesh etc. the whiter parts of the brush are deeper and darker areas not as deep or even flat.

Oh okay, kind of a monochromatic heightmap or something? So then how do I apply an alpha brush to create depth in a texture? Specifically, I want to be able to make three claw mark gouges as an impact decal, so there would be one for wood, one for metal etc.

Also, the wood or whatever needs to look torn and mangled where the depth of the decal is, I'm assuming that's not something this brush can do? Can you get other brushes that do that?