Skyrim CTD, although I changed nothing since last time it worked

Morjik

Hey,

the last time I played Skyrim was 4 days ago. I didn't install any new mods, didn't update them and basically didn't change anything related to Skyrim. Today I wanted to play again, but every time I try to load a game, Skyrim doesn't respond anymore (after a few seconds). However, I can hear the music and sounds of being in game. I already tried to create a new game, but it's still the same, so it's obviously not a corrupted save game (I also tried other save games which worked perfectly before, and I didn't change any mods). The only thing I changed on my computer during this period was installing DOTA 2 yesterday, but I don't know how this can cause my Skyrim to not work anymore.

I also tried starting a new game without any mods installed (only my ENB), and it worked again, however it still doesn't load my saves (which I guess is normal if you try to load a modded save game in an unmodded game).

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? As I said, I didn't change anything on my system except for installing DOTA 2 and I can't even start a new game in my modded Skyrim anymore, so I don't think it's a corrupted save game.

I also ran DXSETUP.exe, dotnetfx35setup.exe and vcredist_x86.exe, but to no avail. I also disabled the mods which I installed during the last 2 weeks (those were only some minor retextures, nothing game changing) to see if that would change anything, but it doesn't.

I hope somebody can help me :(

Thanks!

Hey Morjik,

Do me a favour and download Mod Organiser, but during the installation untick the box that allows it to handle NMM Files (otherwise you're in for trouble). Once it's installed, run it as Admin and on the right side of the program box you'll see a tab that says Saves. You should be able to click a save and view the mod list that was used, use MO to reactivate the mods and load the game. MO should really take care of everything and load the game the exact way it's needed to run for that save. If it works compare your Load Order to NMMs and see if anything has changed or moved.

MS

Hey, thanks for the response.

I always use Mod Organiser instead of NMM, but I did what you asked for and now I am stuck in an infinite loading screen (Skyrim is installed on an SSD so I cancelled the loading screen after 5 minutes, since it usually doesn't take longer than a few seconds). But at least I was able to start a new game without a CTD (that's really weird, since I wasn't able to do that before, although my mods were exactly the same).

So, after starting a new game worked again, I tried one of my older savegames, and that one loaded correctly. If my new one is somehow corrupted, it's not that bad, since there is only a difference of about 3 hour play time between those two, but do you have any idea how I could try to fix the new one? I already ran this program, but I was still stuck in the infinite loading screen (I also have a backup).

Thanks! :)

Are you using all the tools we have that make a Heavily modded Skyrim Work? Using 250+ mods and my GPu's are at a constant 2.8 GB load. Soooo...

3 Things make for a stable Skyrim...

SKSE 1.7 w/ SKSE.ini ...(See link in my SIG)...Memory Managment. replaces SSME.

ENBBoost....many many fixes, also handles Memory management. (the current version 254 of ENB comes with ENBBoost) so get it from ENBdev.com.

Stable Ugrids to Load.

Using the above 3 you should end up with a stable Skyrim. A lot of people will also recommend another ..'"Safety Load" i have not used it, or had the need, the game loads in at 2.4 - 2.8 GB texture load , am level 16 now with over 257 mods. (Wrye is hiding a few for me)... :smile:

Looks like i am missing a link in my SIG...lol...OK this will fix that problem..lol

======================================================

SKSE 1.7 Alpha or above w/ SKSE.ini will replace the SSME patch (AKA Sheason's patch).

IN the SKSE folder (Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE), create a new blank TXT document. Rename the file ....> SKSE.ini < say yes to windows because you really do know what you are doing. (make sure the file is not called ..."skse.ini.txt" if hide known extensions is on, you wont see or know this it just wont work.)

​Paste what is in the Quote into the file and save.

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

i tint.....allows for greater texture maps for War paint and scars

Clear invalid.... us for SKSE to Keep invalid Scripts from piling up , this is not an instant fix it takes time to get started.

Default heap ..IS Memory Block 1

Scrap heap ....IS memory block 2

TO verify if it is actually working find SKSE_steam_loader.log Located in your MY docs folder in the SKSE folder...>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SKSE, open the file...>skse_steam_loader.log

The bottom of that file tells it all.

steam exe
dll = E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_1_9_32.dll <<<<SKSE loading
old winmain = 0069D1D0
runtime root = E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\
config path = E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE\skse.ini <<<<<looking for the SKSE.ini you created
overriding memory pool sizes<<<<<<<Done..Thank you to Sheason and the SKSE team !!
default heap = 768MB (effective 512MB if not preloading animations)<<< Memory Block 1 (we see the reason for the 256 MB overhead)
scrap heap = 256MB <<<<<Memory block 2
OnHook: thread = 25908
calling winmain
You now have the SSME patch using SKSE.
Edited by camaro_69_327

I currently have about 70 mods installed, most of them are just mods that improve graphics and sounds, arrow tweaks, etc and my GPU has 3GB of VRAM, but I took a look and it only hovers around 2GB of usage.

I use the most up to date SKSE (currently 1.7.1) and also the most up to date ENB (254). I have set Ugrids to load to 5, which worked perfectly stable.

I have tried Safety Load, but I got a CTD instead of an infinite loading screen. When I looked at the logfile, there was only

"load.

SafetyLoad is always enabled."
written in it.
I also looked at the Papyrus log. It says:
"[08/09/2014 - 02:55:49PM] Papyrus log opened (PC)
[08/09/2014 - 02:55:49PM] error: Native function GetUseSound in empty state does not match existing signature on linked type Potion. Function will not be bound.
[08/09/2014 - 02:55:49PM] Update budget: 1.600000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 500.000000ms)
[08/09/2014 - 02:55:49PM] Memory page: 128 (min) 512 (max) 76800 (max total)
[08/09/2014 - 02:56:05PM] VM is freezing...
[08/09/2014 - 02:56:05PM] VM is frozen
[08/09/2014 - 02:56:05PM] Reverting game..."
I'll try the other fixes you provided later, don't have the time right now. I'll edit my post with an update!

Hey Morjik,

Congrats on solving half the problem dude. Your save file isn't corrupted so no need to worry. I actually came across a similar issue a while back. Basically I had too many things trying to sort my load order and they were ever so slightly changed on each program after I ran them. You say you're getting an Infinite Loading Loop? May I ask if you have Alternate Start installed? If you do, can you drop it to the very bottom of your load order on your prefered launcher (NMM, SKSE or MO) and attempt a load. If this doesn't work load up all your Mod Organisers and put it at the bottom and attempt to load the save with each. Let me know what you find. Unfortunatly I can't comment on Camaro's post as I play with a lot of mods installed and have never had to use the methods he's given, though I've known others who have mentioned the same thing.

Ms.

Yes, I have Alternate Start installed. I put it at the very bottom, but I still got the inifinite loading screen. But the good news is, that the autosaves now work again and I luckily have an autosave that's almost as new as the save with which I get the infinite loading screen (I just walked to the next city and saved there, so that's all I'll have to do to get back to my newest save). Both saves were made during the same session within maybe 5-10 minutes difference, so I have no idea why one works and the other one doesn't, but whatever, I don't need any further help :smile:

Thank you for helping me MysteriousSquall, and also thanks to camaro_69_327!

Just in case anyone is having the same problem: I also installed "FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script" (FISS) while trying to solve the problem, because in one of my older Papyrus log a mod seemed to try to access FISS, but it didn't find it. I don't know if that did anything helpful, but at least I don't have any further errors in my Papyrus logs, so that's good too.

Edit: By the way, does anyone of you know a minimap mod for Skyrim (something like having the local map constantly open in one of the corners)? I searched Nexusmods and other websites, but except for some betas on Youtube (which are unavailable to the public), I didn't find anything.

Edited by Morjik

• 1 month later...

Hey :)

So I took a break from playing Skyrim, but the game didn't want to start again :( I couldn't start a new game or load an old one. After a few seconds of loading, the game just freezes and becomes unresponsive, no matter for how long I leave it open.

Here is my modlist (mods on the bottom load first, mods on the top load last. Sorry it got exported like that.):

+Immersive Fallen Trees Mod

+ABT - Arrows and Bolts Tweaks

+UltraHD - Stormcloak and City Guards

+Weapon Retexture Project - WRP

+Perfect Legionnaire - Imperial Armor Reforged 5-0 fix2

+Perfect Legionnaire - Imperial Armor Reforged 5-0 fix1

+Perfect Legionnaire - Imperial Armor Reforged 5-0

+Nightingale Pride - Bow and Blade Reincarnation Ultra

+Nightingale Prime HD Leather

+Beards High Res

+Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures

+Better Females By Bella Natural Edition No Makeup Normalmaps

+Better Females By Bella Natural Edition No Makeup

+Immersive Patrols

+Bandolier - Bags and Pouches

+Reduced Ragdolls and Force

+No More Blocky Faces

+The Eyes Of Beauty

+Skyrim Flora Overhaul

+DCF plugin

+Vibrant Auroras

+Enhanced Night Skyrim

+SkyFalls + SkyMills

+Calientes Female Body Mod

+Smoking Torches

+Realistic Smoke and Embers

+Stable uGridsToLoad

+Glowing Ore Veins 300

+Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB

+Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel-V3

+The Skyrim Distance Overhaul Beta (S.D.O.)

+Safety Load

+RealLike Enb

+Realistic Clouds

+Weather Master

+Revamped Exterior Fog

+No bethesda Intro

+Project Parallax Remastered

+Real Ice

+Guard Dialogue Overhaul

+Borderless Window

+skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds

+Immersive Settlements

+Inconsequential NPCs

+Birds of Skyrim

+Splash of Rain

+Enhanced Distant Terrain 2 - Dragonborn

+Enhanced Distant Terrain 2

+Enhanced Lights and FX - Dragonborn

+Enhanced Lights and FX - Dawnguard

+Enhanced Lights and FX

+Locational Damage

+Arrows in the EVERYWHERE

+A Matter of Time - A HUD clock widget

+Realistic Water Two

+Enhanced Blood Textures

+SkyUI

+Wet and Cold

+Immersive HUD - iHUD

+A Quality World Map

+Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2

+RaceMenu

+Static Mesh Improvement Mod Update 1.3

+FileAccess Interface for Skyrim Script - FISS

*HighResTexturePack01

*HighResTexturePack02

*HighResTexturePack03

+Skyrim HD - 2K Textures

+Static Mesh Improvement Mod

+Falskaar

+Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

*Dragonborn

+Unofficial Hearthfire Patch

*HearthFires

+Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

*Dawnguard

+Unofficial Skyrim Patch

And here is the load order (mods on the top load first, mods on the bottom load last):

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

Dawnguard.esm

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

HearthFires.esm

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp

Dragonborn.esm

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

Falskaar.esm

ClimatesOfTamriel.esm

HighResTexturePack01.esp

HighResTexturePack02.esp

HighResTexturePack03.esp

SMIM-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp

Babette.esp

EnhancedLightsandFX.esp

SMIM-FarmhouseFlickeringFix.esp

EpisodeParallax.esp

Beards.esp

AOS.esp

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp

dD-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp

AOS2_CoT3_1_patch.esp

AOS2_EBT Patch.esp

ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp

ELFX - Dragonborn.esp

RaceMenuPlugin.esp

ELFX - Dawnguard.esp

SkyUI.esp

RevampedExteriorFog.esp

FISS.esp

AMatterOfTime.esp

Dr_Bandolier.esp

Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp

WetandCold.esp

AOS2_WetandCold Patch.esp

iHUD.esp

AOS2_GDO Patch.esp

Locational Damage.esp

Perfect Legionnaire - Troops Re-equipment.esp

RaceMenu.esp

SDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Complete.esp

SMIM-DungeonsCliffsIceSkirts.esp

SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp

SkyFalls DB + FS Small Waterfalls.esp

SkyFalls + SkyMills Falskaar.esp

RealisticWaterTwo.esp

Birdsofskyrim.esp

AOS2_RealisticWaterTwo Patch.esp

RealisticWaterTwo - Falskaar.esp

Smoking Torches.esp

SplashofRain.esp

dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp

dD-Dragonborn-EBT Patch.esp

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp

skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp

SDO Full-LOD - Waterfall Effects.esp

Inconsequential NPCs.esp

WeatherMaster.esp

RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp

Immersive Whiterun.esp

Immersive Dawnstar.esp

Immersive Riverwood.esp

Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp

Immersive Falkreath.esp

SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp

Immersive Rorikstead.esp

Immersive Patrols II.esp

Immersive Morthal.esp

Immersive Ivarstead.esp

Immersive Dragon Bridge.esp

SFO - Dragonborn.esp

Immersive Shors stone.esp

Immersive Karthwasten.esp

Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp

Immersive Darkwater crossing.esp

Immersive Stonehills.esp

Immersive Kynesgrove.esp

RealisticWaterTwo - Dragonborn.esp

SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp

RealisticWaterTwo - Dawnguard.esp

ArrowInTheEverywhere_Med_Longer.esp

fallentreebridges.esp

ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +50%.esp

ABT - Faster Bolts Improved +50%.esp

ABT - Recover +50% Arrows and Bolts.esp

I hope someone can help me, I have no idea what the problem is! I sorted the load order by using BOSS.

Sorry for the formatting. I can't seem to make full breaks anymore (I tried pretty much everything). I also can't seem to edit my post anymore, since it says "Error: Cannot read property "getText" of undefined". Can someone help me on how to format that properly? I made full breaks when I wrote the post, but somehow they get deleted if I click on "Post". It may be that my internet connection is currently just too bad, since I only got ~16kb/s from my ISP today (usually I have 100 mbit/s). I will try to format it again when my connection is working properly again!

• 3 years later...
[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

What determines these numbers? Curious if I could set them to something better to get better performance boost.

This is my PC's stats that I could find. Any help would be appreciated!

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.94 GB

Available Physical Memory 4.35 GB

Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 11.6 GB