Appleseed Alpha/Ex Machina Briareos

publicenemy001

And what do you guys think of his sniper rifle? would it be easier than the armor?

Slightly easier: According to the IMFDB, Briareos' main rifle is actually a customized M107 which is technically a variant of the M82:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Appleseed_Alpha#Barrett_M107

Main problem (besides adding the extra bits) is finding a M82/M107 mod that has open permissions.

Edited by dangman4ever

And what do you guys think of his sniper rifle? would it be easier than the armor?

Slightly easier: According to the IMFDB, Briareos' main rifle is actually a customized M107 which is technically a variant of the M82:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Appleseed_Alpha#Barrett_M107

Main problem (besides adding the extra bits) is finding a M82/M107 mod that has open permissions.

Found the only decent Barret 50 cal mod on the nexus. I left a comment asking for permissions. Let's hope he responds.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46432/?

Rifle's interesting. Looking at it, I'm thinking that you could lift most of it from the Bozar and get the right look; the only strange bit is that... thing running underneath the barrel (I really like its aesthetic effect, but have no idea what it's actually for - anyone with more knowledge about guns tell me?). The muzzle could be taken from the GRA anti-materiel rifle, and the Gauss Rifle scope would suit quite neatly.

Looking at the Appleseed Alpha trailer, the thing's huge, too - it'd probably be getting on for the six foot mark (assuming Briareos to be a little over seven foot, which seems about right). I'd really love to see it in-game - about time we got a heavy weapon that's correctly scaled for use with power armour.

Stat-wise, I'd guess that around 120 damage per shot, ten-round capacity, semi-automatic, day-night scope, 100 guns and 10 STR (although I imagine that the cyborg parts would already push the player up pretty high with strength - maybe +3 STR, -2 AGL, -3 CHR?). Maybe ask ApocalypticGirl if you can borrow her firing sounds - the firing sound for the ROAM 510 (a fifty-cal semi-auto from her Supplementary Uniques mod) is beastly.

Anyway, Devin, on further consideration, I really do prefer your idea for Briareos' body to mine. Hell, maybe even work in a short quest - the player goes somewhere, gets blown up, wakes up in the Brotherhood of Steel bunker plugged full of mechanical augmentations, then goes through the process of upgrading the cyborg parts with pre-war tech.

Anyway, for armour, I think that the 'Tailor Maid'-esque suggestion is probably the best one, since it lets you have a lot of variety without too much hassle (lots of mix-and-match combinations feasible). I'd also like to see some sort of custom full-body set of heavy armour for Briareos (mostly because I love playing 'walking tank' characters), but that's just a matter of personal taste.

Oh, and one last thing - would it be feasible to add some sort of recoil reduction bonus? From what I remember of Appleseed XIII, Briareos was an incredibly skilled marksman, as his mechanical limbs offered unparalleled firing stability. I'm trying to think of a way that could work... maybe using an NVSE function of some sort? It'd be very handy to have, since you could add it to power armour as well for greater immersion. Know if it's possible?

Edited by MarchUntoTorment

Found the only decent Barret 50 cal mod on the nexus. I left a comment asking for permissions. Let's hope he responds.

Newermind43 is a good guy, he's let me use his dino mod, and ok'd permission with another asset request (xena). It might take some time, but I suspect the permission will come through.

running underneath the barrel (I really like its aesthetic effect, but have no idea what it's actually for - anyone with more knowledge about guns tell me?).

I'm not a gun expert, so I probably shouldn't be commenting on this, but.......there's no real function it could serve in our modern day guns, other than as a under barrel rail for the bipod. There may be some cyberpunk/sci-fi explanation though. Say a electronic recoil compensator that works similar to a rail gun. A weight inside is magnetically (like a coil/gauss gun) accelerated (in the opposite direction of the round) the moment the .50 round is fired, reducing recoil. Or something else equally crazy. They (we) do have hydraulic compensators built into the butt of some weapons, which would be sort of a lower tech version of the above.

Rifle's interesting. Looking at it, I'm thinking that you could lift most of it from the Bozar and get the right look; the only strange bit is that...The muzzle could be taken from the GRA anti-materiel rifle, and the Gauss Rifle scope would suit quite neatly.

Good to know the parts and pieces are there, don't quite have a chance to look them over at the moment.

Looking at the Appleseed Alpha trailer, the thing's huge, too - it'd probably be getting on for the six foot mark (assuming Briareos to be a little over seven foot, which seems about right). I'd really love to see it in-game - about time we got a heavy weapon that's correctly scaled for use with power armour.

That's not too unusual for the .50BMG chambered weapons, it's a monstrous round and the weight helps to make it manageable (the M82 is around 30 lbs). But it's not meant to be fired offhand (bipod only), that's a NV thing. So they tend to be pretty big;

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/serbu-firearms.jpg

To put the round in perspective a 44 mag has around 1200 ft/lbf, a 45-70 (which is a long *ss cartridge, around 2800 ft/lbf and a .50BMG has around 13,000 or 14,000 (none of the three are hot loads). That is a whole order of magnitude larger, over 10 times more than a 44mag....kind of insane.

Anyway, for armour, I think that the 'Tailor Maid'-esque suggestion is probably the best one, since it lets you have a lot of variety without too much hassle (lots of mix-and-match combinations feasible).

It is a bit easier to rig single items, with the trade off of a bit more clipping if there's outfits of different sizes (but that's not really the case in this instance). With some mix and match combinations and maybe some trickery on the pants (maybe swap texture) we probably have the best variety we can hope for in this case. A choice of vests/combat harnesses will help out a lot.

Hell, maybe even work in a short quest - the player goes somewhere, gets blown up, wakes up in the Brotherhood of Steel bunker plugged full of mechanical augmentations, then goes through the

process of upgrading the cyborg parts with pre-war tech.

I guess it would depend on how close one would want to stick to appleseed lore or fallout lore. The cybernetic tech from appleseed is more advanced than pre-war fallout in many aspects, and even more so than what the BOS has access to (power armor is about the peak/pinnacle of their augmentation tech). There is some dermal armor implants in game, and of course some crazy OWB augmentation, so it's hard to know how the two visions (appleseed & fallout) of tech compare.

A possible option might be to go with Briareos almost exactly as he is in appleseed (except with massive system failure, so you can go on some quests to restore abilities), and leave the lore about how his pre-war origin shrouded in mystery.

I'd also like to see some sort of custom full-body set of heavy armour for Briareos (mostly because I love playing 'walking tank' characters), but that's just a matter of personal taste.

You mean on top of his cybernetic armor? He's essentially already outfitted with a custom suit of power armor. It would be kind of like a player wearing power armor, with another custom suit of power armor over it.

Oh, and one last thing - would it be feasible to add some sort of recoil reduction bonus? From what I remember of Appleseed XIII, Briareos was an incredibly skilled marksman, as his mechanical limbs offered unparalleled firing stability. I'm trying to think of a way that could work... maybe using an NVSE function of some sort? It'd be very handy to have, since you could add it to power armour as well for greater immersion. Know if it's possible?

For the visual side of things? Yes, with NVSE it's possible, it's all about the animations. For the stat side of things it's just decreasing the spread of a weapon.

It's great to hear the Newermind43 might be willing to let us use his models. Also I really appreciate the time everyone is putting into this thread and I can't wait to see the final product. All of you have way cooler ideas than I'll be able to come up with, so let's see if we can compromise all of them and make an awesome mod.

OWB tech appears - to me - to be about on par with Appleseed tech. Maybe the player's exploring the Big Empty when they get injured? It could certainly make sense (the Think Tank cyborg'd the player once, after all - why not again?). Due to the enormous power of Briareos (his abilities appear to be at least on par with a fully-armoured Brotherhood Paladin), I think it'd be better if this were run through a quest with a minimum level of 30 or so, to avoid the player being absurdly overpowered in the early-game.

On the subject of the armour - I was more thinking just additional armour plating to act as bonus protection for heavy-duty combat missions. Not another suit of power armour - that would be rather silly. Yo dawg, I heard you like power armour...

Glad to hear it's possible to reduce the recoil - I think it'd be great for immersion with this mod. Another idea I had would be to apply a separate model scaling script to most weapons - given Briareos' size, the majority of weapons would be quite small on him, and it'd be very immersion-breaking for weapons to get a 50% size increase when he picks them up. Dunno how you'd go about doing that, though - that said, didn't irswat make something along those lines for the mecha project? Failing that, a great way of balancing out Briareos' augmentations would be to restrict his weapon choice heavily.

Oh, also, I'll strike you a deal. If you actually manage to put this together, I'll make a Deunan companion to go with the mod. VA work would be a problem, though... that said, don't you have connections for that sort of stuff?

OWB tech appears - to me - to be about on par with Appleseed tech. Maybe the player's exploring the Big Empty when they get injured? It could certainly make sense (the Think Tank cyborg'd the player once, after all - why not again?). Due to the enormous power of Briareos (his abilities appear to be at least on par with a fully-armoured Brotherhood Paladin), I think it'd be better if this were run through a quest with a minimum level of 30 or so, to avoid the player being absurdly overpowered in the early-game.

On the subject of the armour - I was more thinking just additional armour plating to act as bonus protection for heavy-duty combat missions. Not another suit of power armour - that would be rather silly. Yo dawg, I heard you like power armour...

Glad to hear it's possible to reduce the recoil - I think it'd be great for immersion with this mod. Another idea I had would be to apply a separate model scaling script to most weapons - given Briareos' size, the majority of weapons would be quite small on him, and it'd be very immersion-breaking for weapons to get a 50% size increase when he picks them up. Dunno how you'd go about doing that, though - that said, didn't irswat make something along those lines for the mecha project? Failing that, a great way of balancing out Briareos' augmentations would be to restrict his weapon choice heavily.

Oh, also, I'll strike you a deal. If you actually manage to put this together, I'll make a Deunan companion to go with the mod. VA work would be a problem, though... that said, don't you have connections for that sort of stuff?

Do you think maybe we can make the Briareos model the same 1.0 scale as normal humans? Or maybe 1.1 or 1.2? I mean he isn't massive. He's just built like a heavyweight boxer, similar to Ryu from Street Fighter. And also how hard would it be to port over a mod like this to FO3?

From what I recall, Briareos is around seven foot post-cybernetics, considering as Deunan looks tiny next to him - I'd guess his scale would be 1.15 or 1.2. (Actually, just checked that - he's 7'2", according to Shirow's official artbooks. There we go. Not sure what that'd translate to in setscale terms, though... maybe Devin can help?)

That said, it'd be a simple matter of typing in 'player.setscale 1' if you wanted to cut down his height to a normal size. Depending on the scaling script, you might have to edit the script too, but I'd be happy to do that for you (it's just a matter of adjusting the height scripts).

As for porting... I'm not quite sure. I don't think we have a way of scripting this without using NVSE, so porting might be hard. I'm not familiar with the relationship between NVSE and FOSE. Devin's the better person to ask about that, although you'd really want a dedicated script guy for it.

Also I really appreciate the time everyone is putting into this thread and I can't wait to see the final product.

I can't promise anything as far as a ETA, I just finished setting up my system on a recently KO'd ssd raid (still a *lot* of software to install, but at least I'm off of the mechanical platters), and I have a bunch of backed up requests to attend to, as well as more than half a dozen projects I'm working on in piecemeal fashion. Just wanted to throw that out there, so your not under the wrong impression.

All of you have way cooler ideas than I'll be able to come up with, so let's see if we can compromise all of them and make an awesome mod.

Sorry, run that one by me again brother? I don't think we're at odds on anything, we're just exploring ideas and conveying info.

OWB tech appears - to me - to be about on par with Appleseed tech. Maybe the player's exploring the Big Empty when they get injured? It could certainly make sense (the Think Tank cyborg'd the player once, after all - why not again?).

YEah they pretty much ignore physics in that zaney fallout way, but even if they didn't they are arguably the most (or at least one of the most) advanced bastions of pre-war science left. There are probably others that might fit the bill (ie the institute....if they were involved in military contracts, they would have some extensive knowledge of cybernetics), but in FONV proper, they'r probably the best choice if we don't want to burn a lot of time crafting a new worldspace, faction etc etc.

Due to the enormous power of Briareos (his abilities appear to be at least on par with a fully-armoured Brotherhood Paladin), I think it'd be better if this were run through a quest with a minimum level of 30 or so, to avoid the player being absurdly overpowered in the early-game.

Yeah balance is certainly an issue whether he's a home grown NV version of Briareos or a crossover, but either way having him build up his systems (both soft/hardware and wetware) from a barely functional state can make the "power curve" less extreme. At his weakest he (as in the armor) may not be any more powerful than standard power armor...at least to start with.

Is that something that he has/does in the comics or anime? Does he have an assault or combat armor? If he doesn't I'd probably steer away from that (since his built in armor has the potential to be pretty powerful). If he does, than link me and I'll see what I can model.

Another idea I had would be to apply a separate model scaling script to most weapons - given Briareos' size, the majority of weapons would be quite small on him, and it'd be very immersion-breaking for weapons to get a 50% size increase when he picks them up.

No, no real function like that I can think off. That's done in blender (or nifskope, 3ds max etc). If you want to go that way with the weapons I'd scale him up (around 1.15, that's Lanis's scale and he's over 7'), then weapons will be smaller on him, *but* it will probably fubar the hat/headwear (they'll be too small to fit over his noggin) and I'll block the slot. Not that it's a huge deal though, as I can make him a few custom models (you really have to have a cowboy hat as a nod to FONV in general). And weapon animations (just the grip) *may* be off....or maybe not. I'd have to crank out the model (or a test model) first to see.

Dunno how you'd go about doing that, though - that said, didn't irswat make something along those lines for the mecha project? Failing that, a great way of balancing out Briareos' augmentations would be to restrict his weapon choice heavily.

Not that I'm aware off, that's why he's was requesting I crank out various models in the thread. Another mod I need to get back too, although it will probably have to wait until I get a handle on xml for the HUD.

Are you sure you want your first published mod to be a companion? They're not hard if you follow a tutorial and just crank out the basics, but they are tedious and if your throwing in some unique packages or other goodies they can get to be a advanced project very, very quickly.

Do you think maybe we can make the Briareos model the same 1.0 scale as normal humans? Or maybe 1.1 or 1.2? I mean he isn't massive. He's just built like a heavyweight boxer, similar to Ryu from Street Fighter. And also how hard would it be to port over a mod like this to FO3?

Sure, either way can be done (scale in game, scale in model) with advantages and disadvantages to both (this post, and the one before it that detailed teh hats pretty much sum it up). Porting isn't a problem if we don't use a mesh that isnt solely in FONV. FOSE has the functions we need, and although I'm not sure about this (ie didn't read it specifically), I'v always assumed FOSE and NVSE are in parity, using pretty much the same code base except for FONV's new functions.

Also I really appreciate the time everyone is putting into this thread and I can't wait to see the final product.

I can't promise anything as far as a ETA, I just finished setting up my system on a recently KO'd ssd raid (still a *lot* of software to install, but at least I'm off of the mechanical platters), and I have a bunch of backed up requests to attend to, as well as more than half a dozen projects I'm working on in piecemeal fashion. Just wanted to throw that out there, so your not under the wrong impression.

All of you have way cooler ideas than I'll be able to come up with, so let's see if we can compromise all of them and make an awesome mod.

Sorry, run that one by me again brother? I don't think we're at odds on anything, we're just exploring ideas and conveying info.

Yeah man I'm definitely no expecting a mod like this to be created anytime soon. Since I'm pretty new to the modding community myself, I was just surprised that there are actually helpful people on the forums and I just wanted to express my gratitude even if the mod isn't 100% guaranteed. Also, I know that no one is at odds with any ideas, I was just saying that if this mod was ever created, everyone who contributed to the thread had part of their idea in the mod. But seeing how this idea is pretty much on auto-pilot thanks to you great people, I don't see the need to worry.