Appleseed Alpha/Ex Machina Briareos

publicenemy001

And what do you guys think of his sniper rifle? would it be easier than the armor?

Slightly easier: According to the IMFDB, Briareos' main rifle is actually a customized M107 which is technically a variant of the M82:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Appleseed_Alpha#Barrett_M107

Main problem (besides adding the extra bits) is finding a M82/M107 mod that has open permissions.

Found the only decent Barret 50 cal mod on the nexus. I left a comment asking for permissions. Let's hope he responds.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46432/?

The M82 from this mod is actually closer to what you want:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35770/?

The Barrett 98B (the link you provided) is a bolt-action whereas the M107 and the M82 are semi-automatic.

Re: Deunan Companion: I'm actually about a third of the way through building my own companion mod at the moment based off an OC from a Fallout RP I'm in (ex-Enclave operative, major psychological trauma, heaps of fun) that's going pretty well. It's kinda time-consuming (result scripts are hell), and I haven't messed around with custom packages yet, but I'm getting there. A big part of it's just waiting on permissions from other authors for his armour and weapons, although I'm thinking that I might just use Remnants armour and the LMG for the initial release and add in custom gear later. I find that I quite enjoy companion work compared to other types, largely because I'm a writer and I enjoy working with characters.

As for the armour, Devin, it's pictured somewhere in Ex Machina (can't remember exactly where - ages since I saw it). It's basically an additional set of plating over his augmentations that he wears for firefights. Image:

http://superheroesbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/briareos6.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig06/10067943a2.jpg

EDIT: Was just rewatching Appleseed XIII and saw this, which is a pretty damned cool set of armour. You'd need a custom mesh, though - I can't think of anything in-game which would resemble it. Maybe ask BrotherShogo if we could use something from one of the armours in his mod? They're a bit closer to the aesthetic we're gunning for. (Plus, some of his guns would be pretty sweet-looking when Briareos is toting them - the Peacekeeper 20mm autocannon seems about his speed.)

I'm thinking that we could work the various appearances into the player's quest to upgrade Briareos. The player starts with just a camouflage vest for clothing (see the OP of this thread), and later, upgrades to high-tech armour plating (bringing Briareos' total DT up to around 45 or 50 - the max possible for a Courier with the best possible armour and all perks in vanilla NV is 47, from memory). The way I see it, our Briareos should be roughly equivalent to a well-perked Courier in full power armour.

I'm liking your solution for the weapon scale - scaling up Briareos' model and leaving the setscale function well enough alone. 1.15 sounds about right to me for his scale. As for fubaring the headware, I don't really see that being an issue - just block the slot and call it a day (his weird head shape would make hats difficult to wear anyway, so we can hand-wave that one). The grip weirdness shouldn't be too noticeable. It'd also be pretty neat to have some custom weapons that are ordinarily two-handed wielded one-handed - maybe a custom specced-out Assault Carbine that uses one-handed SMG animations (he uses something similar as his dual-wielded sidearms in the films).

Also, if we're having a cowboy hat, can we give him a set of Formal Wear? Pleeeeaaase? He wears one in Ex Machina and it is pimpin'.

I'll leave porting to you, then, Devin. I don't play FO3 on PC (TTW for the win!), so I can't speak to that.

Edited by MarchUntoTorment

Re: Deunan Companion: I'm actually about a third of the way through building my own companion mod at the moment based off an OC from a Fallout RP I'm in (ex-Enclave operative, major psychological trauma, heaps of fun) that's going pretty well. It's kinda time-consuming (result scripts are hell), and I haven't messed around with custom packages yet, but I'm getting there. A big part of it's just waiting on permissions from other authors for his armour and weapons, although I'm thinking that I might just use Remnants armour and the LMG for the initial release and add in custom gear later. I find that I quite enjoy companion work compared to other types, largely because I'm a writer and I enjoy working with characters.

As for the armour, Devin, it's pictured somewhere in Ex Machina (can't remember exactly where - ages since I saw it). It's basically an additional set of plating over his augmentations that he wears for firefights. Image:

http://superheroesbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/briareos6.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig06/10067943a2.jpg

EDIT: Was just rewatching Appleseed XIII and saw this, which is a pretty damned cool set of armour. You'd need a custom mesh, though - I can't think of anything in-game which would resemble it. Maybe ask BrotherShogo if we could use something from one of the armours in his mod? They're a bit closer to the aesthetic we're gunning for. (Plus, some of his guns would be pretty sweet-looking when Briareos is toting them - the Peacekeeper 20mm autocannon seems about his speed.)

I'm thinking that we could work the various appearances into the player's quest to upgrade Briareos. The player starts with just a camouflage vest for clothing (see the OP of this thread), and later, upgrades to high-tech armour plating (bringing Briareos' total DT up to around 45 or 50 - the max possible for a Courier with the best possible armour and all perks in vanilla NV is 47, from memory). The way I see it, our Briareos should be roughly equivalent to a well-perked Courier in full power armour.

I'm liking your solution for the weapon scale - scaling up Briareos' model and leaving the setscale function well enough alone. 1.15 sounds about right to me for his scale. As for fubaring the headware, I don't really see that being an issue - just block the slot and call it a day (his weird head shape would make hats difficult to wear anyway, so we can hand-wave that one). The grip weirdness shouldn't be too noticeable. It'd also be pretty neat to have some custom weapons that are ordinarily two-handed wielded one-handed - maybe a custom specced-out Assault Carbine that uses one-handed SMG animations (he uses something similar as his dual-wielded sidearms in the films).

Also, if we're having a cowboy hat, can we give him a set of Formal Wear? Pleeeeaaase? He wears one in Ex Machina and it is pimpin'.

I'll leave porting to you, then, Devin. I don't play FO3 on PC (TTW for the win!), so I can't speak to that.

Oh yeah that formal wear was beastly! That would actually be a really cool addition. The SMG looks pretty complicated to make though, aside from the assault carbine model.

That's why I was proposing just an Assault Carbine model, maybe with a little customisation (shoulder stock removed) instead of a full conversion to the SMG. I figure that we'll probably only end up making one Appleseed gun, and I feel that it should be Briareos' heavy rifle.

Well his rifle is the cooler looking firearm he uses and probably the most effective as well.

The M82 from this mod is actually closer to what you want:

OK thanks Dangman, I'll take a look at it and contact the author if it seems promising.

Yeah I don't think I could, unless a similar armor model could be found (in the base game or on nexus).

Maybe ask BrotherShogo if we could use something from one of the armours in his mod? They're a bit closer to the aesthetic we're gunning for. (Plus, some of his guns would be pretty sweet-looking when Briareos is toting them - the Peacekeeper 20mm autocannon seems about his speed.)

Go ahead and give it a shot, but I don't think I'v ever been able to get in touch with him. His works is definitely the closest I'v seen to that anime style on nexus.

I don't know it seems a bit on the crazy powerful side, I'd probably lean more toward a dt similar to power armor.

Maybe we should pin down if we're aiming for a crossover (Briareos is clearly from a cyberpunk like universe and his tech shows it) or a shared universe (more lore friendly, essentially a fallout version of Briareos). It won't really change the visual appearance (I'll be using the same meshes/models), but it's crucial to his back story and how we lay out any quests.

Thoughts/prefereances Publicenemy001?

If we do a crossover the framework is going to be a lot looser (will have to be) because your dealing with tech that isn't in fallout.

If it's a shared universe it's more restrictive but a lot more lore friendly, and you can have a lot of tie-ins with technology and even history. But it will change Briareos to some degree. In the same way there are alternative versions of batman (whether alternate world versions or different time period incarnations) Briareos would be fallout-ized for FO's universe.

The grip weirdness shouldn't be too noticeable. It'd also be pretty neat to have some custom weapons that are ordinarily two-handed wielded one-handed - maybe a custom specced-out Assault Carbine that uses one-handed SMG animations (he uses something similar as his dual-wielded sidearms in the films).

It's hard to say, until I actually export the model. At worse it could be a small amount off (15%), but it may not be off at all. I think it depends on how the weapon model is centered on the hand by the game engine. If it's done a similar way to prn or the way a piece of armor is rigged to a single bone, it will still be right on target....pretty much.

Sure I think we could do that. I did a tux for a ghoul and it turned out pretty good. I was able to preserve the physique (or rather lack of, as in emancipated) pretty well. I'm sure I can do teh same for Briareos.

PIC;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/ScreenShot735_zps23ee0759.jpg

Yeah TTW is a blast, I made a mod/fix for it back in the day (when you get to nuke the crawler), but they've probably moved well beyond that now, and don't need it anymore. That was back when it was hosted on nexus. I'll have to go check it out again.

Just finished installing all my software on the ssd (steam, NV, Skyrim, blender, gimp, geck etc), so as of now, I'm back in business, and maybe I can do some actual modding in the next few days or over the weekend.

@Armour: Alternatively, there's probably a heap of very well-suited armours for Skyrim that could work for that mesh. I might take a look around the more popular Skyrim armour mods, see if there's anything we can use from there.

@Lore: I'd like to see some sort of Fallout-ised Briareos, although it's not my call. I prefer things that can at least be construed as lore-friendly. If you want help writing up a backstory for Fallout!Appleseed, I'll be happy to do it. I always love throwing together a bit of lore, myself.

@Brothershogo: I PM'd him about permissions for my own companion mod, so if he replies, I'll take the opportunity to ask him about the armours as well.

@Guns: If we're going to have him start out with basic gear, his pistol from XIII would be a good place to start, mostly because I love it. The size and appearance could be pretty easily-rigged using a 12.7mm pistol (which would also be a good calibre for it, come to think of it), and it'd suit him to have a hand cannon on him. But I'm just throwing ideas at the wall there.

@Formal Wear: Awesome!

@TTW: Man, the project's come a long way since the Nexus days. After they handle reputation in the next build, they'll basically have the whole thing fully-integrated. I understand that they're not more than a year off releasing a beta.

Oh, and Devin, great to hear that about your SSD! I know how much hard drive crashes suck, so it's awesome to hear that your'e finally back in business.

I don't know it seems a bit on the crazy powerful side, I'd probably lean more toward a dt similar to power armor.

Maybe we should pin down if we're aiming for a crossover (Briareos is clearly from a cyberpunk like universe and his tech shows it) or a shared universe (more lore friendly, essentially a fallout version of Briareos). It won't really change the visual appearance (I'll be using the same meshes/models), but it's crucial to his back story and how we lay out any quests.

Thoughts/prefereances Publicenemy001?

If we do a crossover the framework is going to be a lot looser (will have to be) because your dealing with tech that isn't in fallout.

If it's a shared universe it's more restrictive but a lot more lore friendly, and you can have a lot of tie-ins with technology and even history. But it will change Briareos to some degree. In the same way there are alternative versions of batman (whether alternate world versions or different time period incarnations) Briareos would be fallout-ized for FO's universe.

I would personally like to see the way the player obtains the armor and rifle more NV lore friendly, but still keep the tech and models foreign. I like the unique cyberpunk look to it, but the story matters to me as well. But I'm fine with whatever you can do.

Alright, so looks like we're in agreement on the lore thing.

I'll start drafting a backstory. I've got a little while free tonight, and I'm in a mood to write. I might also work on a draft for a short storyline thing for the quest (the idea of writing Deunan+Briareos story in Fallout really appeals to me).

Oh, and shall we talk masters? We'd obviously want OWB as a master for this, and I feel that Lonesome Road would have some useful assets too for Briareos and Deunan's gear.

Edited by MarchUntoTorment