XCOM Long War crashing/freezing issues

Zanikinaz

Hello. I've been playing the Long War mod for EW for a while now. Yesterday, I decided to download and install the latest version, just to make sure my game was up to date. In hindsight, it was unnecessary (I was already on Beta 13). Ever since I did that, my game has been experiencing serious problems with alarming frequency. I'll list them below, in order of frequency.

1) Game freezes during missions while saving. The "Saving..." pop up appears once, goes away, appears a second time as normal, but then the game abruptly stops working. In fact, it stops responding completely; I can't even tab out without using Ctrl+Alt+Delete. This happens regardless of what type of save I'm attempting (autosave, quick save, or manual save)

2) Game stops responding during the end-of-mission loading screen, the back shot of the skyranger in flight. Like above, the game won't respond and must be forcefully closed, though the animation loops and the sound of the skyranger flying continues infinitely.

3) Game freezes on start up, while the "Loading user profile" pop up is on the screen. Same as above, must be force closed.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling four times now, using different versions of the mod (Beta 11, 12, and 13), adjusting in game settings, etc. The original, unmodded game is completely unaffected by the freezes. Nothing else has worked, and I'm quickly losing hope of playing the mod again (or until Beta 14 comes out with a fix of some kind). Anyone else getting this?

Edited by Zanikinaz

• 1 month later...

Hello. I've been playing the Long War mod for EW for a while now. Yesterday, I decided to download and install the latest version, just to make sure my game was up to date. In hindsight, it was unnecessary (I was already on Beta 13). Ever since I did that, my game has been experiencing serious problems with alarming frequency. I'll list them below, in order of frequency.

1) Game freezes during missions while saving. The "Saving..." pop up appears once, goes away, appears a second time as normal, but then the game abruptly stops working. In fact, it stops responding completely; I can't even tab out without using Ctrl+Alt+Delete. This happens regardless of what type of save I'm attempting (autosave, quick save, or manual save)

2) Game stops responding during the end-of-mission loading screen, the back shot of the skyranger in flight. Like above, the game won't respond and must be forcefully closed, though the animation loops and the sound of the skyranger flying continues infinitely.

3) Game freezes on start up, while the "Loading user profile" pop up is on the screen. Same as above, must be force closed.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling four times now, using different versions of the mod (Beta 11, 12, and 13), adjusting in game settings, etc. The original, unmodded game is completely unaffected by the freezes. Nothing else has worked, and I'm quickly losing hope of playing the mod again (or until Beta 14 comes out with a fix of some kind). Anyone else getting this?

Same problem here. I'm going to post it over in the Feedback Thread

• 3 weeks later...
Same problem here. First time it happened, a few months ago, I couldn't find a solution so I end up uninstalling the mod and the game... A few days ago i tryed again and after a while the same problem started to happen again.

Its a save corruption problem. For some reason ( I suspect many realoads in the same stage) the save end up corrupted and after that it will crash/freeze avery time you try to save or even the autosave during the missions. Also the saves size jump from 150k+- to 1.5mb.

In addition to running the Steam app in "offline" mod, try disabling Steam "Cloud Sync" of save games.

1. Restart the Steam client.
  2. Right click XCOM on your Games library and select Properties.
  3. Go to the Updates tab.
  4. Uncheck the box marked "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for XCOM: Enemy Unknown."
  5. Now try starting the game again.

Other than that, suggest you check the above mentioned threads in the "XCOM File Discussions" section.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

In addition to running the Steam app in "offline" mod, try disabling Steam "Cloud Sync" of save games.

1. Restart the Steam client.
  2. Right click XCOM on your Games library and select Properties.
  3. Go to the Updates tab.
  4. Uncheck the box marked "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for XCOM: Enemy Unknown."
  5. Now try starting the game again.

Other than that, suggest you check the above mentioned threads in the "XCOM File Discussions" section.

-Dubious-

Thanks for the reply, I just tried all that and I am using the Beta 14 and still get the same error. It says something about my NET framework version at the end of the install but I've updated it to 4.5 and still get the error. I've searched the forum and have not found anything concerning this type of problem. That's the only thing I can think of but updating hasn't worked.