Need assistance with new armor replacement

mate926

I have spent the last few days learning how to use 3ds max and nifskope in order to create a change to an armor that I have enjoyed using since the game was released. The armor that I have tried improving is the male Ancient nord armor, and have added some armor pieces and pants to the model. So far I have had success in creating what I had envisioned. I have created a _0.nif and _1.nif for the armor and have just finished up adding textures in nifskope. The problem lies in adding the armor to the game. When I add the .nif files to my skyrim directory and start up my save where my character is wearing the armor, it immediately ctd's. I am unaware in what I am doing wrong, and I hope someone has the time and know-how to help me solve this problem so I can release this armor to the public.

Here is a picture of what I have created so far:

Edited by mate926

Edit: I deleted the morpher from the armor in nifskope and was able to load my save. After messing around in nifskope some more, the textures of the pants are normal coloured and the armor is rigged to my characters body, however the armors texture is pitch black. Hopefully this aids someone in helping me.

Edited by mate926

Just by looking at the pic you posted I can tell it is wrong. Everything should be child of the scene root. Don't collapse the skin modifier and the dismember in to the stack. Export it as is.

I exported the scene as an .obj to my desktop, then exported it as a .nif again. I've once again added shaders and textures and all looks well in nifskope as everything is under the root scene. However the game now ctd's again once I load up a save. Is this because there is no BSdismemberskinInstance or skin partitions now?

Also, thanks for your time Dizzasterjuice, I appreciate it.

Edited by mate926

26-29 are not a child of the scene root and more importantly, there are no bones. You can copy and paste a skin modifier from the stack of the body as a shortcut.

Here's a complete tutorial that will help: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19249/

I have completely redone the armor thanks to your assistance, however there are still a few problems. the armor looks great in nifskope. However, when in game, the armor looks a little skewed on my character and when walking and jumping, parts near the hip and knees distort and look extremely strange. I will add images of what I am talking about. Hopefully after fixing this, the armor will be finished. Again thank you for your time Dizzasterjuice.

https://imageshack.com/i/f0rrn5pEj

https://imageshack.com/i/iqM3v3wFj

https://imageshack.com/i/kp81XnMTj

https://imageshack.com/i/ezzTvO7Yj

Edited by mate926

From the pics it looks like your verts are off between the 0.nif and the 1.nif. To check this in game set your character's weight to 0 and see if that fixes it.

player.setnpcweight 0

The easiest way to get your morphs right is this:
1. Open vanilla mesh_0.nif
2. Delete BSDismemberSkin Modifier
3. Add new modifier "Edit Poly" and drag it below Skin and above Editable Mesh
4. Make all your changes on Edit Poly - you can delete polys and/or push/pull
5. Make new BSDismemberSkin Modifier
6. Export modified mesh_0.nif
7. Import/merge vanilla mesh_1.nif
8. Copy Edit Poly from mesh_0 and paste it to mesh_1
9. On mesh_0, add new modifier "Morpher" and drag it below Skin and above Edit Poly.
10. In Channel Parameters click "Pick Object from Scene" and select mesh_1
11. In Channel List set the top setting from 0.0 to 100
11. Make new BSDismemberSkin Modifier for the mesh_0
12. Export modified mesh_0 and save it as mesh_1.nif
You now have 2 meshes that are identical in vert order but one is small and one is large. DO NOT FORGET to DELETE the morpher in nifskope on the mesh_1 or it won't work. Follow the tutorial for cleaning up the mesh in nifskope.

From the pics it looks like your verts are off between the 0.nif and the 1.nif. To check this in game set your character's weight to 0 and see if that fixes it.

player.setnpcweight 0

The easiest way to get your morphs right is this:

1. Open vanilla mesh_0.nif

2. Delete BSDismemberSkin Modifier

3. Add new modifier "Edit Poly" and drag it below Skin and above Editable Mesh

4. Make all your changes on Edit Poly - you can delete polys and/or push/pull

5. Make new BSDismemberSkin Modifier

6. Export modified mesh_0.nif

7. Import/merge vanilla mesh_1.nif

8. Copy Edit Poly from mesh_0 and paste it to mesh_1

9. On mesh_0, add new modifier "Morpher" and drag it below Skin and above Edit Poly.

10. In Channel Parameters click "Pick Object from Scene" and select mesh_1

11. In Channel List set the top setting from 0.0 to 100

11. Make new BSDismemberSkin Modifier for the mesh_0

12. Export modified mesh_0 and save it as mesh_1.nif

You now have 2 meshes that are identical in vert order but one is small and one is large. DO NOT FORGET to DELETE the morpher in nifskope on the mesh_1 or it won't work. Follow the tutorial for cleaning up the mesh in nifskope.

I tried setting the characters weight to 0 and it looks even worse lol, like something out of a horror film.

https://imageshack.com/i/kn3ehYgMj

When you say open vanilla mesh, what do you mean? The mesh I made is made out of 3 separate armors from which I have taken bits of each. Which one do I choose?

edit: You are correct about the verts being different from _0.nif and _1.nif, checked in nifskope.

Edited by mate926

I tried doing what you said but the only thing that changed was I was able to use the weight slider, the armor still looked weird. I realized that the new parts of armor had no BSdismemberskin modifier on them, so I added them. Unfortunately, now those two parts of the armor are completely invisible, leaving a half naked npc. I have checked the texture paths to see if everything is ok, and I have checked off "has vertex colors" with yes. I have also faced the normals, nothing seems to be working.

Edited by mate926