Need Help From An Expert Scripter

JetSteele

Hi,

I am making a custom (sort of) forge system to unlock powers that are found specifically in my mod. I am making it similarly to how the greybeards learn new words of power by meditating.

Some background info. The player will unlock a spell that will allow him to meditate, when the player does this a forge system will open where he can "craft" the powers with unique ingredients found in the mod (soul fragment, dna, ect.) The forge system works fine but the second event to remove the "forge" once the player exits it doesn't fire. This issue leaves the furniture (marker) on the floor where any NPC can activate it. I used the power like crazy in whiterun market and when I went back there most of the NPC's were meditating.

I know I could remove the furniture from sandbox but then if the player uses it enough times then there will be so many meditation spots in the world that will cause lag and possibly crashing. That said the forge works perfectly, the only issue is the second script doesn't fire when the player leaves the forge to remove it from the world which will also eliminate the chances of the power reacting badly with the game.

Here is the script:

Scriptname AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker extends ObjectReference  

Quest Property AdamantiumDLCMeditate Auto

Spell Property Meditate Auto

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActionRef)
	Debug.MessageBox("Hello, world!")
	if ((akActionRef as Actor).GetSitState () >= 3)
		if ((akActionRef as Actor) == Game.GetPlayer())
			(AdamantiumDLCMeditate as AdamantiumScript_MeditateQuestScript).GetUp()
		endIf
	endIf

endEvent

Event OnGetUp(ObjectReference akFurniture)
	Cleanup()

endEvent

Function Cleanup()
	Game.GetPlayer().DispelSpell(Meditate)
	Delete()
endFunction

Don't mind the debug.messagebox. That's only there because I want to see when it fires.

If anyone wants to see the other two scripts (Quest and Magic Effect) that are connected to this then I could post them. But those ones work fine, its this one that I can't get working.

Its the OnGetUp event that doesn't fire. Also I tried specifying what akFurniture was but I kept getting an error saying that ObjectReference can't be linked to Furniture.

Anyways, anyone who can help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the giant wall of text, just wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Furniture. Its a duplicate of the greybeards meditating seat

I think I know the problem then. It's not firing because OnGetUp uses the reference the script is on for it - an actor. The furniture never gets up, so it won't work. So attach it to a PlayerAlias in a dummy script and it will fire when the player gets up. This will also allow you to use the If AkFurniture == MyObjRef condition.

Edited by Matthiaswagg

ok but on the creation kit wiki it said that akfurniture was used for a specific object and I don't have that. The object is made when the spell is cast. The easiest way to explain this is: its like a conjuration spell. It makes the chair at the player and then needs to be deleted once the player is finished with it.

Can I use OnGetUp if its on an object that needs to be made everytime you cast the spell or do I have to use another event? Maybe change Object Reference to Furniture and akFurniture to akActionRef?

So it would look like this:

Event OnGetUp(Furniture akActionRef)

if akActionRef == Player...

would that work?

ok but on the creation kit wiki it said that akfurniture was used for a specific object and I don't have that. The object is made when the spell is cast. The easiest way to explain this is: its like a conjuration spell. It makes the chair at the player and then needs to be deleted once the player is finished with it.

Can I use OnGetUp if its on an object that needs to be made everytime you cast the spell or do I have to use another event? Maybe change Object Reference to Furniture and akFurniture to akActionRef?

So it would look like this:

Event OnGetUp(Furniture akActionRef)

if akActionRef == Player...

would that work?

No. You could try something though. In the magic effect script that spawns the meditate thing, add a property called ObjectReference Property MyMeditateFurn Auto, and then set the cast furniture to that property through the script. Then you create a property in the alias script that references the other script, and call on the MyMeditateFurn property. I could explain this a lot better if you showed the script on your spell. Edited by Matthiaswagg

Scriptname AdamantiumScript_MeditationEnter extends activemagiceffect Conditional 

Quest Property AdamantiumDLCMeditate Auto
Quest Property MeditateQuestBegin Auto

Furniture Property MeditateMarker Auto

Event OnEffectStart(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)
	if (akTarget == Game.GetPlayer())
		(AdamantiumDLCMeditate as AdamantiumScript_MeditateQuestScript).GetUp()
		(AdamantiumDLCMeditate as AdamantiumScript_MeditateQuestScript).MeditateStart(MeditateQuestBegin)
	endif

((akTarget as Actor).PlaceAtMe(MeditateMarker, 1, true, false) as ObjectReference).Activate((akTarget as Actor), false)

endEvent

The archetype of the spell is set to script

Alright. Change the content of your player alias script to this:

Adamantium_MeditationEnter Property ASME Auto; property name be whatever you want, but we're going with ASME cuz it's short
ObjectReference MedMarker = ASME.MeditateMarker; this is just so we can refer to the chair faster- it's NOT a property, just a var 

Event OnGetUp(ObjectReference AkFurniture)

If AkFurniture == MedMarker          

Debug.Messagebox("Player got up from MEDMARKER")   
          Cleanup()     

EndIf

EndEvent

Function Cleanup()     

;do your function stuff

EndFunction
That should work. If there's an error with setting the var, just get rid of the variable and use If AkFurniture == ASME.MeditateMarker instead of the one I wrote. And in your function where you use delete() do MedMarker.Delete() if using the var, or ASME.MeditateMarker.Delete(). Edited by Matthiaswagg

Compiling "AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker"...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker.psc(8,33): no viable alternative at input 'ASME'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker.psc(8,37): required (...)+ loop did not match anything at input '.'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker.psc(8,16): Unknown user flag ASME
No output generated for AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker, compilation failed.

I get this error when compiling the script with your changes and I get:

cannot compare ObjectReference to furniture when compiling the script the second way you suggested

Compiling "AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker"...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker.psc(8,33): no viable alternative at input 'ASME'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker.psc(8,37): required (...)+ loop did not match anything at input '.'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker.psc(8,16): Unknown user flag ASME
No output generated for AdamantiumScript_MeditateMarker, compilation failed.
I get this error when compiling the script with your changes and I get:

cannot compare ObjectReference to furniture when compiling the script the second way you suggested

Try doing If AkFurniture == ASME.MedMarker as Furniture