I'm beginning to find it harder to hate the Thalmor...

Kestrellius

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone wants clarification of my original point: the Thalmor are utter dicks, yeah, but I can sympathize with their ultimate motive of destroying Mundus. If I could destroy our universe, in real life, I would. This is partially because I'm a basket case, and partially because mortal existence sucks ass.

Also, I normally only really hate things that few other people hate. My hatred-engine runs on overratedness and lack of recognition. I can almost never muster real hatred for any type of character that's designed to be hated. You know, an abusive father or something. Yeah, no kidding, he's evil. It's just...everyone knows that. There's no point in hating that type of character.

I think I might start a new thread at some point on the whole man versus mer thing, because it's kind of muddled to me, where TES is going thematically. Are we going to wind up with it basically being "heroic sword-swinging magic-hating barbarians versus snooty elves"? Because screw that; that's been done a million times and it was stupid the first time. What I mean to say is...Who's on whose side here? Why is it even the mer who want to unmake Mundus, and the men who want to preserve it? What's the difference between the two groups? The Aedra seem to be on the preservation side...why? Is Sithis aligned with the Thalmor, or what? How do the Daedra fit into all of this; would Mehrunes Dagon want a piece of the universe-destroying action? For that matter, what's the deal with the Dunmer; whose side are they on?

Who are the heroes, and who are the villains?

what about the tower stones they have no other purpuse than hold the towers in place?

They seem more like... Keys, I guess? They keep the Tower operating, and seem to be more vulnerable than the Tower it's self... If you can identify and find it. But, with enough power, you can just tear the Tower down too. It's kinda like... Your car won't run without the Key (generally) but if the key gets destroyed, your car is still there. You could also just wreck the car, which renders turnkey useless.

As for Kestrellius... Pilots of questions there... I'll take a brief stab at them, and elaborate where I can if anyone is interested...

Why do men want to preserve Mundis, and Mer destroy it... First, its only SOME Mer.mostly the Altmer, though the Maormer, Falmer and Dwemer seemed to be on roughly the same page... And it's all because of Creation and the Ehlnofex war. The Future-Mer sided with those who hated and feared losing their power, but could not escape, and the Future-Men sided with Lorkhan and believed him when he promised potential beyond what they had. Basically, everyone was trapped, and it was just a schism between those who were hitter, and those who wanted to make the best of it.

The Aedra are on both sides. They are comatose, thoughtless entities who shed new personalities based on the worship of their mortal children. Akatosh wants to preserve Mundis, Auri'el wants to destroy it. They're two independent personalities of the same Aedra, viewing the situation through the lens of their respective worshipers. The Divines as we know them are the most widespread religion, and have the strongest worship, so those personalities are the most likely to 'act'.

Sithis is... Weird. Most indications are that he doesn't 'want' anything, and is a personality and intelegence -less concept of misanthropy and destruction. But there are some... Weird bits that raise questions... End of the day, we don't know.

The Daedra likely don't really care one way or another. We only we their interactions on Mundis, but they're mostly doing their own things and ignoring Mundis.

Dragon ONLY exists to destroy Nirn. Because Alduin made him do it. If Mundis is undone, his current incarnation would be as well.

The Dunmer actually like Mundis, and their entire culture is centered around the rejection of Altmer beliefs and practices. They aren't exactly on the side of Man, but they're definately against the Thalmor.

Thalmor: This world is a cage, it binds our immortal selves.

Men: This is where we live, leave it be!

Dunmer: wtf this is where we practise. We need this place to grow stronger.

Dwemer: THIS IS ALL LIES, MAKE IT GO AWAY, NUMIDIUM!

If you ask me, the Dwemer are right, the Humans are who I understand, but it's the Dunmer whose point most player characters follow.

The Thalmor have my pity and my mace to the face.

Exactly! Srew the lives lost, but how dare the Thalmor take away our playground!

What did big ol Al do to Dagon to destroy Nirn?

And to Kestrellius last question: it is the beauty of TES or at least Skyrim that none of the great factions are totally evil they are all grey! After all if the next quest would be to help out the Thalmor and they give us enougth incentive and teary eyed backstories how the evil men killed they 3000 year old family members and how they are suffering on the mortal plan and just want to achieve their past glory, many will do the quest according to the will of the Thalmor.

Nonetheless, it might be fullfilling a stereotype, but ambushing the Thalmor patrolls is one of my more amusing pastimes in game.

What did big ol Al do to Dagon to destroy Nirn?

OmNomNomNomNom Planets. He eats it. Literally.

** Oh! Totally misread that...

Dagon was responsible for helping the Greedy Man hide parts of the world every time Alduin came around to eat it, and then tacking them on to the new world when the Kalpa reset. Alduin caught them, and while the Greedy Man escaped, Alduin punished Dagon by cursing him never to leap again (he was the Leaper Demon King) until he had found every part of previous Nirns and destroyed them.

Sometime later, with the assistance of Meridia, Dagon was either given, or forged into The Razor Mehrunes, finally becoming Mehrunes Dagon.

Edited by Lachdonin