I'm beginning to find it harder to hate the Thalmor...

Kestrellius

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny. Reading this thread and understanding the deeper intentions of the Thalmor have made it infinitely easier for me to hate them. I never minded them much other than acknowledging them as the game's stock villains, but I now think I'm going to make it a point to kill every Thalmor I see in my next playthrough.

It's unlikely that anyone other than whatever secret cabal heads the Thalmor knows about their ultimate goal to unmake Mundus, as it is still a fairly radical idea even among the Altmer. I'd imagine all of the low-ranking Thalmor lackeys in Skyrim would subscribe to the racial supremacy narrative that the Thalmor have weaved, rather than their secretive endgame. The possible exception to this is Ancano, as he is competent enough to siphon power from the Eye of Magnus, and does mention having "the power to unmake the world".

Well yeah, either Ancano acted on his own or knew the Thalmor endgame but his personal goal with the eye was quite clear.

That the majority of the Thalmor are only bigoted racial supremacists makes them in my book even worse than those that at least have a higher goal - as crazy as that goal is.

Srlsy the sight of Alduin eating the world is something that I hope will be shown in TES... it could truly be a sight to see!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question Lachdonin:

correct me if I am wrong but I believe to have read a post from you on another thread where you wrote that "the prophecy fulfilled" would somehow liberate the "hero" from the reincarnation cycle?

And well I don´t understand how that would work :mellow:

I have a question Lachdonin:

correct me if I am wrong but I believe to have read a post from you on another thread where you wrote that "the prophecy fulfilled" would somehow liberate the "hero" from the reincarnation cycle?

And well I don´t understand how that would work :mellow:

Yeah. It's regarded by some (including myself) as the explanation for the Second Walking Way...

'I give you an ancient road tempered by the second walking way. Your hands must be huge to wield any sword the size of an ancient road, and yet he who is of right stature may irritate the sun with only a stick'

Based on the interpretation, anyway... Ancient Road indicates a Prophecy, Right Stature indicates the Hero, and irritating the Sun with a Stick represents the monumental feat that is achieved.

How it works is... not clear. The leading theory is that it's dependant on the Godhead recognizing an achievement so profoundly you're basically immortalised in the memory of the universe. This seems to only affect the Heroic persona, NOT necessarily the person... So the Nerevarine becomes immortal, but Sven Tremble who became the Nerevarine does not.

Thanks!

Though am I to understand if it´s one of the walking ways, his "persona" or legend becomes something akin to a spirit/god, physically immortal or does he simply not vanish from the universe and his data is stored somewhere to be called down in times of need like Wulfharth by the Nords?

I personally think the latter, as default, though the first can surely happen through mythopeia.

There's also a train of thought that it creates things like Ysmir, and the Hoon Dig. Immortalized hero-mantles which are picked up by mortals associated with various cultures.

It kind of sounds as if Indoril Nerevar would be the Dunmer/Chimer version of this concept and not only as Nerevarine, an old folk hero who comes/is formed again to save or "make way" for his race.

I know that the Nerecarine is said to be the reincarnation but perhaps mantling could have been misinterpreted here as such?

As the Dunmer are "ancestor worshippers" they might see it that way?

I just read "Whereabouts of Ysgramor the returned", has anyone ever counted the amount of names cited there? That text is more convoluted than a law codex!

Edited by monganfinn

The only issue with that is that we only know of Lord Nerevar and his Incarnate, and the Nerevarine does not die to allow for another Incarnation. That said, the reincarnation of Nerevar was rather contextual as opposed to being a cultural/divine phenomenon, instigated by Azura in order to punish the Tribunal.