I'm beginning to find it harder to hate the Thalmor...

Kestrellius

Well yeah, I agree they got the short end of the stick in ancient history, but I lose all sympathy for them once I see how cruel and despicable they are in Skyrim. You've seen the dungeons in the Embassy and in that one fort you have to rescue Thorald from. Never mind how f*#@ing arrogant they are whenever you talk to them.

I must admit I do take a certain dark glee in provoking them into attacking me so I can whip their yellow asses and get off scot-free. And that Thalmor dude in the Mage College? Ice Form shouted him and T-bagged him. Revenge was sweet.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No that's not at all what that means.

What it means is that the path we choose may lead to an outcome opposite of what we expect.

And really, this is the moral the Thalmor will learn. They do everything right, as they see it, and they still fail. In fact, the only ones who survive the apocalypse they create are the Dunmer and the Khajiit.

I become increasingly sympathetic to the Thalmor too. Not because I agree with their policies. I'm sympathetic and joined them with a mod (the Aldmeri Dominion strengthened) because someone said they remind them of Zionist so I joined them. In case your wondering I'm a real-life Zionist (not Jewish by the way Agonistic) so I joined them for that reason and reflect this by using a human character who works as an agent for the Thalmor like Gissur. Also Altmer women aren't too bad looking and remain will remain youthful throughout your life, so might score some if you work for the Dominion. Also evil is just so sexy and fun and those Thalmor jackets and armor are "swag".

Edited by theconquistidor

At the end of the day, I'm pretty anti-apocalypse. I know, I know, it might not be the most conventional opinion this day and age, but the idea of everything ever created in the beautifully unregulated petri dish of whatever universe cause-and-effect is residing in coming to a sudden and complete end kinda bums me out. I like my life and the world around me, thank you very much. I'd like to keep it. If that makes me shallow, I'd rather be shallow and romantic than deep and suicidal.

Also, the "turn back time to start anew" is a terribly old logical fallacy. Just because you start over does not mean the situation will not devolve again, nor does it mean it will be any different. If something can go wrong, something will go wrong, such is the way of infinity. Turning back the clock is just prevention of the inevitable, and it's at the sacrifice of all gloriously unique creativity and effort spent by billions of minds and hands over a vast period of time. To take agency over all of that is incomprehensible, and I do not see any situation whatsoever where it is just or fair. It is no one's place, let them be man, mer, or god, to have say over the unique and creative influences of all living existence; past, present, and future. So, I can't support the Thalmor's ultimate goal under any circumstances. I see their cause as despicable, self-serving, and abhorrent. They're bullies in the largest way possible.

Also, on a practical level, they're just straight-up jerks. Militant religious views and extremely cruel and inconsiderate practices do not inspire sympathy. They only care for their own advancement and ideology, even if they convince themselves that their overarching goal is preferable for every creature to have ever lived, they just don't know it yet.

I sympathize with the plight of mer, and I understand their motives and desires. However, that does not mean I find any of their actions acceptable, nor do I find them to be much of an underdog. Pretty hard to love, really easy to hate.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty anti-apocalypse. I know, I know, it might not be the most conventional opinion this day and age, but the idea of everything ever created in the beautifully unregulated petri dish of whatever universe cause-and-effect is residing in coming to a sudden and complete end kinda bums me out. I like my life and the world around me, thank you very much. I'd like to keep it. If that makes me shallow, I'd rather be shallow and romantic than deep and suicidal.

Also, the "turn back time to start anew" is a terribly old logical fallacy. Just because you start over does not mean the situation will not devolve again, nor does it mean it will be any different. If something can go wrong, something will go wrong, such is the way of infinity. Turning back the clock is just prevention of the inevitable, and it's at the sacrifice of all gloriously unique creativity and effort spent by billions of minds and hands over a vast period of time. To take agency over all of that is incomprehensible, and I do not see any situation whatsoever where it is just or fair. It is no one's place, let them be man, mer, or god, to have say over the unique and creative influences of all living existence; past, present, and future. So, I can't support the Thalmor's ultimate goal under any circumstances. I see their cause as despicable, self-serving, and abhorrent. They're bullies in the largest way possible.

Also, on a practical level, they're just straight-up jerks. Militant religious views and extremely cruel and inconsiderate practices do not inspire sympathy. They only care for their own advancement and ideology, even if they convince themselves that their overarching goal is preferable for every creature to have ever lived, they just don't know it yet.

I sympathize with the plight of mer, and I understand their motives and desires. However, that does not mean I find any of their actions acceptable, nor do I find them to be much of an underdog. Pretty hard to love, really easy to hate.

Now THIS I agree with. The Thalmor (and Thalmor apologists) go on and on about how: "Oh, we're not really killing anyone. We're simply causing Mundis to never form. How can you kill someone who never existed?"

I call total bulls*** on that. That's just arguing for the sake of theoreticals and causalities of effect.

Even if it's true...

A) Mundis exists now.

B) If the Thalmor succeed, Mundis doesn't exist. Ergo, WE no longer exist.

You can paint that anyway you like. It still adds up to wiping out thousands of years of history and the accumulated lives of billions of sentients.

And now, on a lighter note...

Frakkus Godot: "Here's a dossier on the Klegdixal."

Buck Godot: "Thanks, Uncle. Can you give it to me in condensed form?"

Frakkus: "They're jerks."

Buck: "Thanks."

Qvakk: "You really going to see the Klegdixal?!"

Buck: "Yep. It's the only lead we have on this virus."

Qvakk: "But the Klegdixal hate humans. Why should they talk to you?"

Buck: "Ah, you just have to understand the underlying nuances of Klegdixal thought."

Qvakk: "They're jerks!"

Buck: "See? That wasn't so hard..."

-Buck Godot, Zap Gun for Hire (The Gallimaufry Series)

Just substitute "Thalmor" for "Klegdixal". Ironically, the Klegdixal end up becoming allies to Humanity. Hey, this is in the Spoilers section, so we're good, right?

Edited by LeddBate

I become increasingly sympathetic to the Thalmor too. Not because I agree with their policies. I'm sympathetic and joined them with a mod (the Aldmeri Dominion strengthened) because someone said they remind them of Zionist so I joined them. In case your wondering I'm a real-life Zionist (not Jewish by the way Agonistic) so I joined them for that reason and reflect this by using a human character who works as an agent for the Thalmor like Gissur. Also Altmer women aren't too bad looking and remain will remain youthful throughout your life, so might score some if you work for the Dominion. Also evil is just so sexy and fun and those Thalmor jackets and armor are "swag".

Really? Reminds you of zionists? They remind me off nazis to be honest. They think they're superior in every way to the other races and seek to destroy everyone who worships talos. The inquisitors are nothing but nazi razzias, seeking to wipe out anyone from a specific religion.

It is also part of lore that Auri-el actually showed the steps to ascension to the aldmer when he ascended himself. - At least according to the wiki

If so why don´t the Thalmor take the more challenging path and actually work for immortality. Instead of undoing everything that was created since their fall and everything that will be created in the future.

The nord in Sovngarde at least did so.

And it wasn´t always the mer that got the short stick, the monomythos mentions how they lost Aldmora to the humans but I don´t think we know if that wasn´t also a rebellion of human slaves as with the Ayleid, furthermore the schism between men and mer was caused by the mer when they chased out the lesser elhnofey from Aldmeris.

Ahh, is that why substitute Akatosh with him?

Well the Dawn Era is a historical nightmare anyway, but can we be sure that Magnus and the Magna-ge fled before Lorkhan was punished at the Direnni Tower? Even if the Monomyth and Before the Ages of Men slightly contradict each other, I don´t think that Lorkhan had his heart wrenched from him twice. But perhaps his punishment happened only after a war?

Be that as it may, there are several examples where mortals, at least with the help of aedra, can achieve immortality.

I rather believe that the Thalmor simply see immortality as their birthright and don´t want to work for it as the chimer did.