DarkSouls-style equip load

CharmicsMods

I found Dark Souls a while ago, after spending way too many hours playing Skyrim, and proceeded to spend way too many hours playing it instead. However, I now play them both actively, each being a great game in their own right. However, I got to thinking...

http://puu.sh/aUq6S/65c7c71b1e.png

(image by http://www.funnyjunk.com/user/mymiddleleg)

Dark Souls bases 'encumbrance' on the collected weight of everything you have equipped, not on everything you carry. You could, if you want, carry every single item in Dark Souls without being encumbered. While certainly not quite as realistic as Skyrim, it has undeniable advantages:

• Leveling stamina (carryweight) is more appealing and has more immediate effects.
  • You never have to leave valuables behind.
  • A bigger sword is heavier and therefore not only swings slower and burns more stamina, but you have to be able to carry around this massive hunk of metal in the first place. Arguably, in both games you can carry around many massive hunks of metal, be them armor or weapons, but
  • The idea of managing only the items you want to use versus dealing with the ones you only carry to sell makes much more sense.
  • It actually makes sense for someone who wants heavy armor and weapons to level stamina more often than someone who wants light armor and weapons, and mages now have less reason to.
  • More stamina can now be more effective at saving your life than health(heavier armors)!

What is really cool is that everything in Skyrim already has (mostly) logical base weights, and all that would need to be implemented would be a new system for burden and carryweight mechanics. That, on the other hand, is difficult enough that I can't do it myself, so that is why I am asking here.

Note(s): If you have any constructive thoughts, I'd love to hear them, but if you just wanna hate, please move on. Mods are options. This does somewhat remove the appeal of certain mods like Bandoleer, I know that, but I see those are workarounds for other problems. Also, if a mod that does this exists already, and I do not know of it, please forgive my ignorance, and give me a pointer! If it is possible to do this without extensive modding knowledge, possibly utilizing things like SkyTweaks, please help me out there, then! I can make my way around the Creation Kit, but so far as core game mechanics...

Edited by ColdHarmonics

Things you got equipped definitely still count towards encumbrance. There is a perk that reduces equipped armor weight though, I suppose you could make a perk that adds weight to equipped gear instead and then modify every item in game to be weightless.

Although I have practically no experience in this field and could be thinking about this entirely wrong, my thoughts were that it might be possible to change the "Burden detection" system (or whatever it is that totals weights) to only count things which are equipped, and then modify the values for how much CarryWeight a player has and how much it increases when leveled, so that the item weights already ingame would not need modifying, and those perks would still be perfectly usable. Again though, I have no idea what I am talking about, and this is all speculation.

I found a mod that does alter encumbrance and although I have no interest in using it, I am interested in how it works. So I decompiled it, and took a look. While admittedly I have *some* programming knowledge, I could not make sense of it. Will continue looking, but if someone who actually knows what they are doing (and would be willing to do it!) stops by, I am sure that it would be much more painless.

Mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21211/?

Decompiler: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35307/?

Edited by ColdHarmonics