From Day Dreams of a Spaced Out old Man comes

Deleted54170User

Chapter 5

In the tunnel I saw lights about six feet up on the sides of the wall twenty yards apart. It was too dark to see if there was anything going the other way. I headed into the light.

The tunnel lights gave the place an eerie yellow glow. As if my day wasn't bad enough having to scrounge down here when it's probably sunny and mild with dead bodies basking in the Sun up top side. The service tunnels walls and floor were tiled with tiles I remembered the bathroom had in the home where I grew up.

The tunnel seemed awfully clean.

I traveled a city block before I started to wonder why there weren't doors to other stores.

I saw a flickering of light coming from something on the floor ahead. Something was causing the light to fade and return. I got close enough to see it, I blurted. A tablet! It must have gotten washed down the drain with the water. I picked up my pace to get to it.

When I reached it I realized what was causing the light rays flashing. Rats.

I thought of how vicious rat attacks were in the movies. I toed at them gently. One rat scurried away. Then another. As soon as I touched the tablet I saw that they weren't gathered there using it to surf the Internet.

I was close enough to see the drainage. I saw the rats for the first time close up. They're always such terrors in movies.

As soon I had the tablet in hand. I stood up and followed their example. In my hurry I stepped in a puddle. I pulled my hiking boot up and saw some goop that moved like molasses. I pressed on the tablet's on button. I stood on the dry tiles and waited to see if the tablet had any life left in it.

The seconds passed. I began to worry it's battery was dead. Suddenly it's station symbol popped into view and played the lead music for the company. I looked at the battery symbol to see how much of a charge it had. Half.

It asked for a finger print to open it. I went back to the place I found it and picked up the hand the rats had been gnawing on. I tried the forefinger on the scanner. The tablet opened. The thought of carrying the hand around grossed me out. I thought about wire cutters I used to have. A pocket knife I used to have. A chainsaw. I was seriously going off the deep end when it occurred to me I could change the tablets ownership since I was already in. I dropped the hand.

It only took a moment to personalize the tablet. I flipped my finger down on the top edge. Settings and the symbols showed what apps it had. Flashlight, flashlight, FLASHLIGHT!. Yay!

I tapped it. The light came like a camera bulb flash and lit up so the tunnel became visible momentarily for several yards.

Rats. Lots of rats were coming toward me. I stepped backward instinctively and the boot sank into the goop again. I held the camera so I could see. Not water.

I moved around the puddle to the opposite side of the tunnel from where the hand was. I didn't know rats well enough yet, and didn't want to find out if my gooey boot would be an invite to dinner. I started to run back the way I came.

Thinking about the rats moving in a group like they were made me want to keep running. After I had passed two lights, nearing the next light I turned to look behind me as I got under it, and just passed it. The rats hadn't followed.

I stopped. I gave my predicament some thought. I was probably just going to end up back in the fast food joint if I kept going back. I took a strip off one of the top shop sized paper towel rolls I took from the store's supply room. Wiped the blood off the tablet. Wiped the blood off my boot as well as possible too. The tablet went to sleep while I was running so I pressed the On button once quick to restart it, to see how much battery power it had remaining. It was still about half. Checked the weather report.

Sunny and warm!

I was correct. I started to grumble but thought better of my self, remembering all those unlucky people out there. I started searching for a TV app. No, nope, none. Went online. Found a free one. Installed it. Once it was on, installed, and working; to save battery juice I surfed directly to the channel to check to find out if the woman was still broadcasting on it.

She was still there. Reporter, or no, she was better then no one at all.

After listening for a minute; learning nothing new, I turned off the tablet to save power.

I considered my options with the rats. I had some alcohol, lots of paper, and a stick I could make into a torch. I started by making preparations. There was nothing in the Atomic War aftermath simulation about making torches out of shop towels and other janitorial items. Got all set to start pulling the parts off the pack, when it hit me. Matches.

No matches. Next option! Sneak by and run. Right!

I stayed pressed to the wall opposite where they would be. I crouched and moved, stopped, moved, stopped, moved... Until I could see from the bend in the tunnel.

They were gone. I looked around cautiously as I passed where they had all been. Suddenly reassured I was going to find a way out of the tunnels without anymore incidents; I stood and walked.

About fifteen minutes later the tunnel turned. I crouched and moved, looked around, and saw a grate blocking the tunnel further. After a short examination it became clear it would keep me from going further. Banging my head against the dusty old tiles I thought. Ah! The joy of living in a fast food joint.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 6

I walked fast almost spilling the backpack. I slowed to keep it from sending it all splashing down onto the tunnel's floor. A few minutes later I arrived at the stairs to the store. I took out the tablet to check on the gal reporter at the TV station. Since it was darkest at the position I turned the face of the tablet away from me to keep it from causing my eyes to lose focus from the light that blared out when it booted. The tunnel was lit up. At that moment I saw the dark shaft ahead was more tunnel.

Slapping my palm on my forehead I thought, Of course! The lights are just out, that way. My stomach growled dulling my excitement, because of what might occur next if I did not find a bathroom made the journey less important.

All washed and refreshed I went into the room with the TV blaring still. Grabbed the remote. Turned down the volume on the TV and ate my meal in the company of the lady quietly sitting there sipping out of her cup between sobs.

While I did I thought up the ideal plan.

Use the tablets camera flash, every so often, as I wandered the tunnel feeling my way along the wall in the dark.

I tried to contain my excitement, but it was a powerful as an eager child to discover the world beyond.

Out I went, back into the tunnel, turned the flashlight on to see how far the tunnel extended that way. I thought, how lucky I am that the lights were off in that direction before I found the tablet with a flashlight app. I thought, there must be a breaker switch ahead, somewhere. I tapped the flashlight app off.

After a two minute self confidence check I decided to chance it, over becoming a bit of wind swept piece of slime outside; adding my life to the record as becoming a smear on the street.

I realized all my sincerity for the others was gone for that moment. I started thinking about all those people. I could almost imagine myself as part of that scene, and the old simulation game gave me a start reminding me of another situation.

I imagined myself a body nearly scraped of flesh, toasted nearly dry on the outside by radiation, limping along, looking for a doctor. A ghoul.

Anybody OUT THERE!

I sank back into a defensive pose after I realized my burst of confidence might attract more than just a friendly vendor selling their wares. I thought, What if there's someone really crazy heard me shout. Someone lurking in the dark that would jump out and attack me without a second of thought.

I listened. No breeze, no feet walking sounds, and no breathing sounds; except my excited own. I stepped out into the darkness. There was barely an echo when I started to listen to my own soft soled foot steps. I thought, how strange; for a tunnel.

I stopped thinking aloud.

I tried pretending someone caring and kind was waiting for me beyond the dark tunnel.

Reality check! Check Please! The thought of going into the mouth of the tunnel of SERVICE, braving a tunnel with no lover of virgin males, I got a little fear rush.

The tunnel's darkness was much darker then I imagined it would be. I wandered deeper into it. Before panic could set in I did a quick flick with the camera flash. After breathing deeply several times, I realized I had not been counting my steps.

Two steps, three, four. I stopped counting aloud and moved on.

If I didn't run into anything every sixty steps, or so, I thought, that would be nice. I pointed the camera flash on the laptop so it might temporarily blind anything and anyone I met. And, like so many announcers telling us about the miracle product I forgot, momentarily, and I said aloud; And it would save the batteries life for longer use too!

After the first camera's flash into the dark I noted my body registered worry. I was getting really concerned only after sixty steps. I worried that I would not find an exit point. I could tell I was really worried because I sweat when I really worry.

After quite a long ways. I was not able to reason with the moistness of my shirt sticking to my chest. I checked my count. Exactly a total from the first check point to here, was ten, equaling ten steps passed the 60 I already took. Total: seventy steps.

I mumbled. I hope I find some place else soon. I braved the way from there and got up to one thousand and ninety four steps. The battery was half full when I started. It was a quarter of that after the last flash and a quick news check on the TV lady before I turned off the tablet.

Grumbling softly under my breath. I felt along the wall. After I felt a short turn occurred I decided to stand up and check, because there might be a fork in the tunnel. I stood up and hit my head on something hanging down. Shrieking like a little girl blasted the silence out of the tunnel so even my ears hurt from it.

It must have been heard far down the tunnel like a train whistle when it is blasted. I recovered a little, after few good cuss words to threaten myself so I didn't make anymore unnecessary noises. I excused myself for this time, because of the shocking encounter with the sudden pain.

I hurriedly turned the tablet back on.

I thought, It's antiseptic time!

The tablet lighted up. I hurt.

If this is bad... I don't know if I can keep this up. I prepared to see the worse. Tapped On the flashlight.

Rubbing my hand on forehead. I slowly brought it down and I held it in the light to see if I needed a bandage. I saw no blood. I raised my fist to shake it at what ever it was I ran into. I hit it again. Ow!

I held the light up. Some part of a cylindrical shape was hanging down. Sticking out just enough to stop me in my tracks. I walked aside and looked around it. It had a gaping opening at the edge of the curve. It's center opened into a short stair case. I jumped for joy. The weight of my backpack held me down. I noted it kept me from hitting my head again.

I felt the excitement overtaking my pained forehead.

A service entrance! YES!

Chapter 7

A short staircase.
I climbed up the stairs. The sway of the backpack caused it to bump into the walls on both sides, as I climbed. It wasn't broad. I thought the hall seemed kind of narrow for a service entrance. Maybe they only used it as a escape tunnel?
When I neared the top I saw a door with a little green light on a code pad thingy..
Just for fun, before I decided to try to pry off the case I punched in my favorite numbers. 211919. A beep, but nothing else.
Well I guess that isn't it. I wondered if anyone was a gambler. Kenny, kenny rogers, and many peoples favorite, "God". And then I tried the secret password that all the secret locking mechanisms had that came with them as their default.
The light changed to green and door's latched popped.
I started pushing the door open. The door was smaller then the hall, so I stepped sideways to get my right arm in. I got my head in so I could look around before entering by pushing sideways, Sideways so the pack would fit through.
A woman's scream pierced my ears.
I heard a growl that furniture makes when it is shoved across a tile floor. I felt my neck and right shoulder get pinched inside the room with the door's edge jammed against my shoulder and neck pinched against the door's frame.
Stuck tight.

Chapter 8

Don't try anything! I've got a gun and I will shoot you! Who are you?
I could only see a shelf's side blocking my view to the left. The room was dark enough I could not see much. I could hear her heavy breathing. I figured she must be near with her back to the shelf pressed up against the door. Heavy breathing like that; she must be stressed out. Probably scared still. I remembered a suggestion from a simulation system. Don't fight the calm looking people first. There are others that will attack from the crowd, the scared ones and the heroic type are more dangerous a threat. Get them first. I thought; she was most likely the woman who screamed. Scared.
My name is Dave. I can't move. I'm pinned in the door.
She shouted. What are you doing here?
I swallowed hard. I'm trying to find out what happened so I can figure out what to do next. I got lucky and escaped from... whatever it was that killed a lot of people outdoors. I got the idea to use the tunnels after a woman I saw on a TV station suggested it might be the best way.
I stopped talking and waited. I imagined the the woman might be crazy with fear and might shoot me while I was stuck. I couldn't get loose, couldn't defend myself. My right arm was pinned at the shoulder, and was my neck was pressed against too. I couldn't bare the waiting. "Don't kill me! Please don't shoot me! I'm completely defenseless. I don't even have a pocket knife. I'm stuck. I can't even move!
I raised my right arm and waved my right hand, hoping she would see it. See! I'm stuck. I drew my hand back fearing someone else might be with her, that might grab it and wrench my wrist and arm. I dropped it to my side.
The room grew silent. I could hear her breathing again. I could tell by the way she was breathing that she was still a bit panicked.
She probably doing the same thing I was many times before I arrived. Thinking.
You're stuck? Can't move? Can't move at all?
The door is pinching me in so tight I am lucky my shoulder blocked it when my head was through. The sudden pressure might have broken my neck when I slipped my head in far enough to see.
I heard her voice right in front of me. I felt my eyelids go wide. My muscles jerked and twitched against the trap.
Don't Move!
I blurted, Sorry. You frightened me.
She was far enough away I couldn't reach her. Right in front of me, in the room, where I couldn't see her, among the dark shadows when she spoke. She moved around to the right of me checking to see what was on the other side behind me.
She must have looked at me with wide eyed fear once. I thought I saw them glisten for a second. She raised up on her toes to look over my head. She whispered. I've been trying to get that service door open for almost a half an hour. I found the password and tried it. But it didn't work. I thought I just made a mistake, went back to check, and tried it again. And here you are.
My ego melted a little. My little hacking scheme may have stopped her from unlocking the door. Not as smart as I thought I was. She probably entered the code while I was playing hacker.
She interrupted my thought. I want to let you in, but I afraid that I don't have the strength left to move the shelf I pushed up against the door. In my fright I... well it seems I got a lot stronger all of a sudden.
I looked at her shadowed features. Well, we might as well get acquainted while we try to figure a way to get me out of this.
She looked at the stuff on my pack pressed in close behind me. What I can make out in this light makes it looks like you might be a janitor.
Yeah? Did my fancy tidy roll dispenser bar with 4 rolls of shop sized kitchen towels give me away?
She laughed.
My right knee bent so I sank a couple of inches. I propped my knee into the gap to support my weight as I stood there stuck in the door. Seeings as I was in a predicament she peered at me from a short distance out of my free hands reach. I began to sweat.
After a moment passed she laughed.
I signed with the right hand palm up questioningly for help.
She moved away. Tried to move the shelf again, but couldn't.
I wanted to make her aware I was going to need to disarm myself of my backpack to see if I might be able to squeeze through with it off.
Softly I said, I need to take off the backpack I am carrying. It's full of food and emergency stuff. I am going to unbuckle the pack. Okay?
She came back toward me.
When I get it off my other arm I might be able to drop it. Then I can try and wriggle out of the trap.
She leaned in to take a closer look. Okay.
I worked with my left hand to release the buckle in front of my waist. I fumbled around for several minutes trying to untie a knot on the loop around my right shoulder. I got the knot loose and the straps slipped dragging the back pack down to the step behind me. I wriggled a little to back up. I felt my shoulder would come loose, but my head was too big. Let's try; I push, while you tug.
After a moment we gave up.
It looks like we'll have to find a way to pry the door open an inch or two.
She turned to look around. I'll go look around in the other rooms. She walked into the darkness.
While I was dangling there I remembered reading about people who had a moment of adrenaline and did impossible things. Lifting a car off of someone and such.
She must have had a moment of adrenaline and strength like that. I remembered the way the shelf growled moving across the floor and how it scared me. She must have moved it like it was a cardboard box. I tried getting angry at my trap. I shoved at hard as I could. I hung there.
I could hear her as she shuffled around outside in another room nearby. For a time, I heard her walking about, some noise that may have been stuff crashing occurred worried me that she might have been hurt. Ms. Are you alright?
I'm fine!
Then all went silent.

Chapter 9

While she was gone time seemed to stand still. While I stood there with most of my body weight on my right leg I got uncomfortable. I bent the leg down, fidgeted with my left leg to try and find way to take some weight. I settled my left knee down on the top step. In the position my neck and right shoulder were stuck there was just no way I found was comfortable for long.

I stopped fidgeting. I noticed the room was easier to see into. I reached up with my right hand and rubbed my eyelids to squeeze out my fear tears. I opened my eyes.

I saw her among the shadows. Her blurred dark shape was blocking light from the other door. She moved slowly.

I couldn't really tell If it was her, because of the odd shapes about her. Rather then spend time worrying that it was some new comer with no knowledge of what was going on.

Ms! That you?

Yup!

Find anything useful?

Maybe?

I hoped she at least found some useful strong steel to pry with.

When she got close enough I recognized a metal folding chair she was lugging along and a box under her other arm. Maybe a box? Something in the other hand. A bar? I couldn't see anything she had that might help.

A folding chair, some cord or rope, a box, and a short bar.

She laid the chair's back against the wall near me, brought the other item around and took the box, with the cord or rope in it, from under her arm out and dropped it down next. She held up what she was holding in her hand and grabbed it with both hands in front of her and made moves with it like she was measuring the situation.

She looked at me with a serious glare. Got it.

She picked up the folding chair, flatten out; laid it on it's side, then shoved the head up inside under my right knee. She used the thing she was measuring with again. Put it through so it was between the rungs at the back legs. She spread the legs of the chair. i felt the seat folding out under me.

She spread the legs as far as she could. I stared in wonder at her construct. I mumbled a little, was about to inquire. She shushed me.

Just wait!

She had the chair's legs set as far apart as as they would go. She put the box between the legs so they could not shut closed.

I stared at what I could see of her set up. She tied up the back legs to the front legs with some cord so the box would not come out from between the legs. I could feel movement from the seat under me.

I could feel the chairs head was inside the door frame right next to my right ankle. I guessed the back of the neck of the chair's head must have been pressing into the door's frame. I could see there was some space between the chair's back legs and the outer wall.

I assumed the metal rod she put in through the back legs was up inside the door with the folding flap of the chair seat. She stepped back, sat on the floor, laid on her side on the floor, planted each of her feet, one on each leg of the chair. She tapped them, wiggled around, and said, When I say go, push.

She took a deep breath.

Go!

With all her might she gave it a shove. I was so unsure anything would happen, I paused. Shock struck a note to go. I pressed my right arm into the wall forcing my chest into the door. I saw her body as it slid away. There wasn't anything behind her to stop her.

For that second I was watching, before I reacted, time seemed to suddenly explode.

My head was freed. My left foot slipped though. A little too much spring in my right leg sent me backwards.

I began flapping my arms to regain my balance and ended up slapping the door with my left arm hard first. Then the hallway with my right arm slammed into it hard.

I spun around. Flying.

My left foot caught the backpack. The shin and left knee drove into the soft pack as I spun. Then I began to dive face first arms sticking out in front to stop me from falling down the stairs.

I am going to die!

Soldier, relax, roll with it, or you'll break your fool neck one of these times. With his six foot muscled frame he grabbed me. EXHALE! RELAX! TUCK AND ROLL! YOU GOT THAT SOLDIER?! Then tossed me over the wall into the land of barbed wire I had to crawl under. Before the ratcheting machine gun fire shattered the air, I heard him say. Gotta be the dumbest kid I've ever trained. I hope he dies a swift death. At least... BANG! BANG! BANG!

I tucked and rolled; bouncing down the steps.

When I reached the bottom I had spun and was falling backwards. I spread my arms straight out as my back floated really fast toward the floor below. Palms down I slapped the tiles. Thump.

I hit the cold tiles. My fingers and palms stung. I laid there for a moment checking my backside. I began rubbing my palms to speed up their recovery.

I remembered the move from Judo class. Wow!

The judo lesson did the trick to keep my head and back from harm when I was slammed down on the mat. I remembered I never told the sarge I was trained a little bit before he met my miserable self. In boot camp I grew more accustomed to the hardship of leaving Mothers apron strings and showed more nerve. He was actually happy on graduation day to see me leave. After all of what I went through to grow out of my Mom ma's boy yellow streak.

No broken fingers, no back ache, and my heads fine. Okay. I got up and tested my legs. The left knee was sore and hurt when I stood. My right shoulder tingled more then my left. Suddenly, just like a child, I desired to run home crying for help. I thought better of my predicament and like a Marine; raised my arms to shout for joy. Ouch! My right shoulder's pain was intense.

The gal called out. Are you alright?

I'll make it. Yeah. Bumped a knee a little to hard.

I limped up the stairs

After a tryout to squeeze through the gap failed the two of us made the rig she built to do the work for us.

Once we got the gap big enough I pushed the pack inside.

I pressed through.

Dragged my left leg in behind me. Set my left foot down. Ouch! I collapsed to knees on the floor.

I gathered my strength. As I got to my feet I felt the short hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Chapter 10

As I emerged from the tunnel she stopped me in my tracks and stared at me. A threatening tone in her voice caught me completely by surprise. You're not a psycho, a rapist, or anything like that; Are You?!

Standing up, balancing precariously on my right foot, I sank back to the floor. We were only a few feet apart in that dimly lighted room. From my new position down on all fours I looked up at her like a slave praying to their master. I saw her eyes better. There were danger signs in them.

Since I was unable to swiftly escape her attentions I spoke softly. Scared and yet a little defiance rose with my fears. I wanted the strange way the world was; to end, one way or another. Maybe she felt the same way. I couldn't tell.

Ms... I never got to go over seas and find out what people do in the old world. I was stuck state side while all the lucky guys got to go searching for places to spread their wild oats. So I guess if you want to get kinky, with me and my bum knee as it is now; I think the word is still "kinky" these days... I paused. I'll crawl back through the door, or you can beat me to death, and then you can wait until someone more to your liking comes along.

She suddenly sank to the floor like a Raggedy Ann dancing doll. I slipped forward as fast as I could, spun around onto my rear. My left knee ached. I caught the back of her head in my lap before it met the floor. I looked down at the mysterious face in the shadowy room. Waved my right hand like a fan at her face to push air at her. I tried prying her eyelids open. Out cold.

Not having had any luck with women in the past. My expressions may have been mixed with the stare of sudden shock, maybe of relief, and definitely of disbelief as I sat there.

Humoring myself I said, I guess the honey moon is over.

I fidgeted and squirmed around until I got her head off my lap and gently laid it down on the tiled floor. Mixing my moves to try and get up I must have looked like a dog turning around and around before deciding to settle down before I stood up on my right foot.

I applied the military training, harsh humors, and cussed silently each time I stood on my left foot. After a several pained attempts I finally figure out how to manage what I was thinking about doing with her.

The woman was one hundred and ten... maybe one hundred and twenty pounds, of five foot seven inches of limp rag doll. I had never carried a woman that was unconscious before. I knew the fireman carry would work. Thankfully I had carried my baby sister a time, or two, in my short lifetime. That would work better, I thought. I picked her up.

Dragging my left leg behind me, setting the foot down gingerly, and pressing down until I had support, I clamped my teeth, and I moved the right foot up quickly.

One pained hop after another was making the going slow, but sure, to make it to the door to the next room.

It might have been two minutes, but it seemed allot longer, when I stepped up to the door.

What I saw seemed to put a rush order on my heart. My mind moved me faster so my left knee really burned. I saw through squinted eyelids before the sudden hugeness got me to open them wide at the jaw dropping sites size. I stopped moving balancing on my right foot and balancing the person in my arms.

My left knee ached really bad. I turned to look around so I could find anything to put her down on, as quickly as I could. I spotted a couch to my left. I grumbled. Had to be the left!

I turned on my right so it was in front, dragged my left foot up to my right, pressed down, and hopped off my right a foot ahead very quickly.

I groveled until I got my left leg to slid forward, I gently lifted, slipped my right foot forward instead of hopping. I was so eager to get her to that couch I almost jumped when the pain in my left knee set my teeth against each other. Sliding my right foot forward a couple of inches at a time, caused less... Arrgh! Less pain. Better. I moved forward slowly as fast as I could.

I gently put her down on the couch. After making sure she wouldn't roll off of the couch I sank to the floor. Both knees throbbed, the left more then the right. I tried rubbing the left knee. I think I broke a tooth clamping down on them. I resolved to rub my right knee.

I needed some of the stuff in the pack; bad. Without her weight on me I was able to limp, slide, limp, and slide faster farther. I made my way back to the pack.

I dragged the pack back. I discovered holding my left leg up bent at the knee, and just putting my shoe's toe to the ground didn't hurt me as much. I lifted and limped back into the room, and put my gear beside a heavy cushioned chair.

I turned around just in time to see her turn a bit to get more comfortable. She was likely as worn inside and out; as I felt at the moment. I needed the sleep. I felt my body demanding it. Since she was turned so I could, I looked at her face.

There was better light so I could actually see her face. My body suddenly tingled all over. I felt like someone's spirit just passed through me. It was like seeing someone that was thought to be on a different planet and suddenly we shared the same space.

I fell back onto a large cushioned chair.

I stared at her until my knee reminded me it needed attention.

Chapter 11
TV?!
My mind raced. I suddenly felt excessive pains shooting signals to my brain. I was thirsty, hungry and all at once I got sick to my stomach. I turned away and saw a garbage can two long steps away. I dove forward and hurled. The garbage can caught most of it.
After coughing up what my body rejected I felt better. I began to turn and slipped on my right foot. I flapped my arms and managed to stay up. I turned looking at the chair near the garbage can. I did my new dance steps back to the chair.
I grabbed the pack. Sat down. Took several heavy paper towels off one roll, pulled up the bleach bottle with the clean water in it, and opened it. The smell of bleach hit my nose. I gagged. I thought, I cleaned it out! What the... I figured my sense of smell must have hit maximum sensitivity. I shrugged.
I pulled my trouser up on my left leg to view the damages. It was swollen. Black and blue. I definitely bruised it good. I poured cool water on a paper towel. Laid it on my knee and very gently wiped it. The cool water felt good. I poured some cool water on another towel laid it on it. I got out one of the big injury emergency band aides, soaked it good, and put it on the bruise I grabbed the paper towels without separating them and wrapped up the bandage.
I pulled down the trouser leg. I leaned back and turned so I could prop my left leg up on the back of the chair. Higher then my heart. I let my right hang over the opposite arm pad of the large cushy chair's. I leaned my head back onto the other pad.
I sat there waiting for the throbbing to subside. My thoughts struggled with the recent past event's. Dream sleep began to roll in like a movie slowly rewinding. I glanced over at her to reassure myself I wasn't dreaming. I was just sinking into sleep. I looked at her sleeping soundly and decided to do the same.
I knew I'd feel safer, probably sleep more soundly, knowing someone else was nearby watching over me. I realized the pain keeping me awake was losing to my even with no pain relievers. I was exhausted, possibly suffering from dehydration.
I pulled out a bottle of water. I drained it. I started fading fast.
The sense of dreaming before going to sleep happened. I groaned as it slowly took me. I fought it for a moment by thinking about what was of major importance. What questions to ask her when we were both awake. Reminding myself of the mess we were both in got me to thinking and looking around the room. I looked for anything that would give me an idea where I was at this moment.
The comfort of the chair invited me to sleep. As my eyes passed over her on the couch I looked longingly at the couch, which looked big enough so I could fit on it and sleep right next to her. I thought better of that. After our last little tiff I figured the chair was going to be comfortable enough. I looked around.
I yawned.
Where do you think you're going soldier? Somebodies got the watch. And it ain't me! STAY ALERT! Your watch will be over in two hours and you can sleep then. Remember! STAY AWAKE! In War time sleeping at your post is treason. Treason! Remember that! It might not happen now, because we aren't a war. It could get you a few nights in the brig where... I've heard they frown on guards that sleep at their posts during their guard duty. Know what's going to happen if you fall asleep?!
I opened my eyes. Raised my head. Darn it all to heck!
One thing was certain, I, we were going to have to make the choice between which of the two ways to go to get out of here. Where ever here was?
I yawned again. My curiosity slipped away again. I found a bit of strength. I had to stay awake! I assured myself if I did she would sleep better. As long as I stay awake. I reminded my self of her threat. Maybe I won't wake up with gun to my head. A couple of hours? That's all.
I kept awake, noting my left knee throbs were lessened. The pain took my attentions away from wanting to see all there was in this building. Thinking about going back down into the tunnel kept me alert to my knees condition. I mentally marched in around all my thoughts. I unscrewed the cap on the bottle I drank from. A dribble left inside spilled onto my eyelids. When I reopened them I looked up. A map!
I could see the information desk map. I studied the map of the building.
I leaned my head back on the shoulder pad. I... found myself looking at a map in my lap. I raised my head to see where I was. Inside the 1954 car Dad bought used to save money.
Mother was up in the front seat. My sisters and brothers were strangely still and quiet as I took in the view. A year that cars were really good on gas on the highway, Father said. I turned to the left. Looked at the moving scenery. The family car, in the back seat, moving along, headed for the highway. The car turned to head south. I turned to look out the back window. Off in the distance I could see the really tall Smoke stack. Second tallest chimney around the world. The car headed south. I could see the smelter's chimney from the back window of the car. I heard my big brother say. It really does look like it sinks into the ground! My second oldest brother turned and looked. It really does! Just we all I heard tell it magically got shorter little by little as the car moved south, until it disappeared completely.
The car slowed to a stop at a stop sign's insistence. Dad stepped on the gas and turned left. I felt the motion suddenly upset my stomach.
The scene swam. I felt car sick.
I drifted. A giant donut appeared next to a huge coffee cup that was a diner, then a Big Blue Ox with a giant lumber jack stood towering over another gift shop. I drifted. I felt myself walking.
My view turned to gaze on a mural with a map of the area. I could see faces side by side on it too.
A tourist guide map. Mt. Rushmore. It was just ahead; passed a tourist gift shop and restaurant. Before I could get moving to see the real deal on the mountain side a guy appeared. All decked out in a tan leather suit with a bunch of feathers sticking up out of his head.
I looked down. There was my little dark brown cased camera. I was about to take a picture of the guy. I heard him shout, "$2.00 or no picture!"
Another voice, my Father's, spoke to the man wearing the war bonnet and buckskin hide leather outfit. I sensed he was reasoning with the guy, trying to let me take a picture for less. Dad turned toward me.
By the look on his face I realized his little plan didn't work. No picture son. Another voice rose to the occasion. A woman's.
You were watching me! Not now while I was asleep. I mean. You were watching me on TV!
I opened my eyes. Facing the map of the building. When she spoke again I felt my body try to sit up straight. Ow! I realized I had fallen asleep for a few seconds. I thought. Then remembered where I was, and turned my head on the arm of the chair to look over to see her.
What? I saw her sitting on the couch holding the tablet. Uh huh! I caught your act on a TV at the store I stayed in. A store I got into later from outside it. Just before... All that time I was cornered there last night and most of the morning... I spilled all I knew, as if she was my last hope. I stalled a second, looked at her.
I'm not from here, so I don't know where I am here, nor where this place is. While I watched you on TV you mentioned the service tunnel. I was glad you did. I wasn't going back out there... I turned my gaze to the front doors. Not up on the roof either.
I waited for her to respond. Noting she was not quick to respond I asked. You wouldn't happen to have any pain pills; would you?
She looked at me. You saw it?! She nodded toward the door.
What?! Oh! Out there! I saw way too up close. I felt my right ear rubbing against the cushion. I prayed she wouldn't ask me to go into details.
She continued. We both saw what happened. I didn't expect to see what was there this morning though. I was driven so... by the fear. I almost lost it. Since I saw... Upstairs the light over the TV station was on. I went inside to see if they were doing the six thirty news. But there... there wasn't anyone... Nobody.
She looked at me silent for a moment. I'm sorry if I hurt you. I was so scared. I didn't know if I figured out how to get the station camera working. I didn't know if anyone would see me on TV. Then you...
She looked like she was going to burst into tears. I worried as looked at her. I thought she might have some sort of mental issues. I realized she didn't have anywhere to hide her gun. Maybe she just said that to protect herself.
I heard her talking again. Then you showed up and... I went crazy alone like that. Before I could speak she asked. Do you know anything about television equipment? I think it I would have gone insane if I had not used it to get in touch with the world. My phone, all the phones are useless.
I... Not knowing what to say. I asked. Ms???
She stared at me like I caught her in some unspeakable act. Oh! Sorry. I guess it's about time I start trusting you. I'm Eleanna.
You're hurt! Oh, my god! I didn't know... How bad is it? Is it really bad? She could see the wrapped up knees bandage bulge there under the trouser leg. Is that your knee?
I was half asleep still. My name was on the tip of my tongue. In all the rush I too barely remembered all that protocol stuff. I vaguely remembered telling her who I was at the door. I looked at her. Maybe she forgot in all the turmoil.
I spoke self assurance growing as I did. I was a Marine until recently. I felt an anecdote may lighten up the room. I was called Private allot. Dave... that's my name.
She looked at me. So, you're a diamond in the rough. That's better then no diamond at all.
I wiggled in the chair. Ow! I fought the pain. Yeah! I never thought about it that way. I turned my head. Laid it back sideways on the arm pad, tilted my hazel green eyes to look up at her. Has a nice ring to it! Don't you think?
Eleanna forced a laugh. And you're funny too.
I laughed. Oh! ooo. I'm in a lot of pain. My knee took one hard. I really could use pain relievers. I stayed awake, keeping guard watch.
She pointed at the couch. I caught her meaning.
I turned my legs to get them off the chair. I put my feet down, began to stand. Jeezus!
She dashed across the floor. Here let me help you.
She supported my left arm on her shoulders. Walked with me to the couch. I felt a twinge of fear. Considering recent events. She must of sensed my concern, but not the reason. She said. The place is safe as a kitten. All blocked in by... Well, you know... Now you get some rest.
I will go see if I can find some pain relievers. When you're rested up we can talk.
She must have seen the worry in my eyes. She misinterpreted the reason and she said, Don't worry! I'll be fine.
I became worried about her. Just not in the way she might have thought. It was a big relief to see she had no gun.
I put my left leg up on the couches head.
She turned and looked back at me. I'll come back as soon as I find some pain relievers.
There's a pharmacy over there. I'll go check.

Chapter 12

I woke up. Worked to clear the fog from my head. I recognized the sound her shoes make as she approached.

She came up holding the tablet so she could view it's screen.

What time is it?

She looked at the time on the tablet. Eleven past ten in the morning.

It's morning. Great. Have you explored any of the other floors while I slept.

The pharmacy is closed. In all the excitement I forgot. All the shops are closed. I decided to stay down here until you rested.

I almost blurted. My eyes might have bugged out a bit, but I kept my thoughts to myself.

She pointed. There's a coffee Espresso' maker in the lobby staff room. If you like that stuff.

Thanks. What's the difference between coffee and Espresso'?

Quantity of water mostly. It's got little cups and little coffee pods that are already prepared. Just drop one into the machines filter. It is easy to make one. I'm sure you could do it if your interested.

I got up. Stood up and my left leg buckled at the knee. She offered to help. Okay! Let's go to the there.

The Espresso' machine had a dozen little pods with coffee for every different taste. I saw Espresso. No real sugar or real cream, just fake stuff. I made an Espresso'. Two ounces of water filled the tiny cup. When I saw the little cups I thought of the little tea cups my sisters had.

I looked around the room. I took a sip. I looked at Eleanna. It taste like fresh bread. Not bad, but weird. I took another sip. I saw a coat rack by the door. At least I thought it was, because of the four rubber knobs on the metal ends with the rod up the middle. I took another sip of Espresso'. Raised eyes to examine the coat rack to see if it had any clothes hanging off it. Instead I saw it had a handle.

Hey! What's that? I pointed at it.

Eleanna looked over to the spot. It's a walking cane for the elderly. Hey! She looked at me.

Just my luck. Eleanna thought ahead of me, dashed over, and brought to me.

I looked at her. Thanks. In my training they taught us to look for essentials first. Fresh water first. Food. First aide, extra clothes.

Eleanna looked around. The building is a mall during the day. The Television studio is on the ninth floor. When I was up there... The studio is just below the tenth and a sign said there is a landing pad for a helicopter further up.

I wondered why she didn't leave me. I wondered if she did the mother hen thing. She could have gone through the building again, after all, she had already explored before I arrived. I looked at her. Great! Lets start in the infirmary. I mean, the pharmacy.

She looked at me. There's a doctors office on the eighth floor. The pharmacy is next to the exit here on the main floor. I tested out the cane. Got used to putting my weight on it. I finished the Espresso'.

We walked over to the pharmacy. I looked at the security windows and door. I looked at her. There's no way in there without a pass key. Maybe the janitors have an access key in their room?

I hobbled along. She walked along with me. We searched the map. We went to the janitors quarters.

Along the way I saw that all the shops had cage curtains of steel. All padlocked. I looked around for the janitors special tools. Found the tool to use in case we had to get into one of the shops. I saw his tool belt. That will be handy. I looked at it, put it on, hung the tool I found on it's S hook. I started to walk with the extra gear. I stopped. Eleanna, maybe you should put this on. She took the tool belt. I returned my gaze to the room and I saw keys on a ring. I looked at the tool I hung on the belt sagging down her thigh. I fingered through them. All different. Not just one master key, a bunch of them.

Eleanna came up. I know where there is a store. It's on the sixth floor. There should be pain relievers for sale there. If the pharmacy is a problem, that is.

I looked at Eleanna. Realized she was thinking we would need to pay for the pain relievers. I said, Good idea. Searching for the pharmacy key might be a waste of time. Aspirin, or anything that reduces the inflammation will be fine. I looked at the tool on her belt. She gave me a look. I realized she might think I was staring at her body. You have the master key for difficult doors there.

She looked down. Oh! Ah!

The pharmacy was too much. After exploring the key ring, and other ideas, I decided not to waste anymore time on it. The service elevator in the janitors quarters was close. We rode it to the sixth floor.

After a quick shopping trip in the store we headed up to the office of the television station's manager.

It had a fancy new lock. I lifted the janitor key ring. I looked for any brand new two edged keys. I showed it to Eleanna. The one and only. I shoved it into the lock. Yes!

I looked in hoping there might something to help.

Inside I looked about. There was something odd about the room. I stopped. No other door. No bathroom, a closet, a chest of drawers, no filing cabinet, and clean big picture windows.

Chapter 13

Hey! I found a Janes.

Eleanna looked at me, What's it for?

It's an instruction manual on how to fly a helicopter... I remembered seeing one before. This is an actual book though. The one I saw before was in a simulation video. The base commander where I was stationed was planning to install the new training simulation pod to train helicopter pilots with. No danger of losing a bunch of helicopters and green student pilots that way.

I thumbed through it to see if it had all the same stuff in it. Wow! I looked at Eleanna. Now if we only had a helicopter.

She looked over from the locker she was going through. Raised something up to show me in her hand.

She said. Looks like I found a flashlight.

She pointed it at me and flipped the button. It started making a familiar sound. I ducked. The laser passed over my head and burned a dime size hole in a curtain. The curtain burned up. The wall had a hole in the spot behind it where the beam hit.

I looked up. What the... Those aren't supposed to be real. Eleanna don't switch it again!

Eleanna looked at it. What is it?

It's a laser gun. A weapon that doesn't exist on Earth. At least it didn't, as far as I knew. Good thing I had been prepared for such in an STS: Simulator Training System. Let me see that?

Eleanna looked at the device. What's a training simulator? You seen one of these? She walked across the room and handed it over. Could I have killed you with it?

I turned it over a few times and examined it. I saw two contacts that suggested it has a charger. I walked over to where she found it and looked in. A holster with a backpack attachment for keeping it charged using a solar panel. I decided to take it and rig it up onto the backpack.

I looked across the room to where Eleanna had moved. She turned and looked at me. She pointed up at the ceiling and announced. I wonder if there is a helicopter on the roof?

I looked out the windows. I don't know. I suspect that, with the force of the wind the other afternoon, if there was one up there, last nights wind probably would have knocked it off the roof.

My mouth stopped moving. I looked at the big picture windows. WINDOW?! We're up nine stories. I just realized... The windows are intact. If they are on every floor??? This whole building must be a bomb shelter.

Eleanna paused at the window. Tapped on it.

She walked over to see what the laser gun did to the wall. Eleanna waved a hand to get my attention and gestured to the wall where she vaporized the curtain. I see something through the hole. It looks like a sliding door panel.

I walked over to her and looked. Let's look around and see if we can find a way that opens the way. A panel switch has got to be around here somewhere. You take that side of the room and I take this side. We met back at the desk, took five to eat.

She looked at me. It was exciting looking around for a switch. She sniffled a little as she finished some water. There's isn't anything that l could find. No secret buttons behind panels or sliding leavers.

I didn't have any better luck, as we both knew. Then I had a thought. Lets search again. Only this time you search where I did and I'll search where you did. I went to the lockers and chest of drawers. I opened the locker next to the one where the laser and it gear was.

Wow! There's a pilot's suit in here with some clothes that remind of one of my favorite TV shows. It was about helicopter pilots running errands and saving people when there were weather storms. WhirlyBirds! The boss must have had a thing for those old style clothes from the TV show.

After she finished searching where I searched and I finished where she search we gave up a second time. She sat down in the big desk's chair and put her feet up. I always wanted to be the big boss.

I looked at her posed relaxed figure. Me ooo! I mean! Me too!

I noticed a replica of a helicopter on the desk. I pointed at it. It's one of the helicopters from Whirlybirds. The boss manager must have been real helicopter fanatic. Like I was! Wow! It's been seven years since I watched that show.

Eleanna; I remember having one of these when I was little. From where I stood and how I felt, I slipped out of my adult composure. Feeling a little like that time when I played with toys like it. I decided a moment of childhood passion would not hurt now. No one would care.

I reached for it. Prepared to lift it up. I made sputtering noises. Followed with whir, whir, whir. I made the take off sound. Whirrrrrr. I lifted. I felt it resist my pull; then snap loose. We both heard a popping sound and turned to look to see where it came from.

We watched as the secret door opened. I checked the helicopter to see if it was connected to a cable. I saw it wasn't. I held it close to the spot on the desk and felt a pull. It worked from magnets. A magnet on the bottom of the little helicopter must have held the button up. It was the locks hold and release device. The next sound was a swishing of air sound and a clunk sound.

Eleanna looked at it. I knew it, It's an elevator door!

Still in my WhirlyBirds moment I looked at her. It appears to be an open invite for us adventurous souls. I put the little helicopter down to see what would happen. The door stayed open.

I grabbed our future warehouse storage supply pack, with the newly added laser pistol, and put it on board the elevator.

I looked at her, Shall we? I was feeling so giddy I swung the pack over my shoulder almost turned around, took the backpack, and got out. I felt like I had gone back to my childhood. Back when I had to make believe there were secret passages and hidden elevator doors behind walls that moved. When I looked at Eleanna I felt like I just woke up. Her presence made me realize there was a real person in my space. That space back when was all mine, all alone. Now here she was. She looked clueless as I backed up and stayed on the elevator.

I don't know why, but I got a sudden sense we were going to be coming around here again. Or more like we already have been around this way before. I kept the clunky gear with my paper towel tower on my shoulders. I didn't mention she wasn't part of my playroom enjoyment.

Eleanna clearly wasn't phased and pushed the elevator button.

Going up!

Chapter 14

The elevator sank down. I thought we were going up. I looked at the button and saw it was definitely going down. Barely a minute passed when it stopped.

I felt giddy again. My thoughts burst from me like a ripe Mellon dropped into a juice squeezer. Wow! No elevator music? Not even a one hit wonder? A one minute song? While I complained insanely the elevator door opened.

Eleanna was still composed and took a look out. There's a desk over there. There's something weird on it.

I looked out of the elevator. HM? Eyeing what she pointed at. That doesn't make me feel comfortable. I drew the laser pistol. Stay behind me!

Stepping out of the elevator together, as Eleanna came out hid behind me, I heard that familiar sizzling sound again. Just like the one she shared with me. I searched to find it. When the crackling sound reached full buzz I moved. I saw where little light was on the ceiling. It pointedly was making that noise. Coming from a upside down dome up on the ceiling. I saw the blink as it fired.

I moved sideways and Eleanna didn't. The laser shot right between us. I fingered the trigger on the pistol as I was moving, aimed the laser pistol as I stepped back in front of her. The ceiling laser fired as I shot at it.

I started to wonder if I had an new hole in me. Maybe a third nostril. A quick search turned up no more security weapons. I turned around to check on Eleanna.

She grabbed the back of the pack and said, next time I will move when you move.

Good idea!

She walked behind me slowly as we moved toward the desk. I searched the room for anymore defense devices. After each space check I announced; None, nada, zip, tt thea the ee a, That's all folks! I felt confident that there were no more, but my the way I was spouting off words worried me.

I looked at the desk. The corpse there gave my mind cause to stop loading and spouting words. I recalled the television cartoons I learned from. Cartoons with some little pig that stuttered at the end, a horse that walked on two legs with a dog sidekick that always got him out of troubles, and a mouse that could run really fast. The bones of the dead body laid forward from it's chair with ragged bits of cloth on the bones exposing the arms. Definitely dead! The skeletons eye sockets seemed to stare at me from as lay there with the left side of it, where it's ear was. Gaping sockets were the eyes used to be staring at me.

My mind fog cleared. The furniture, the laser cannon, and other designs worried me. I recalled the video simulation I liked playing like it was a game back at Memphis NAS. I looked at Eleanna.

I recounted recent events. In the bony right hand of the skeleton I saw another weapon from out of this world.I pointed at it. Gauss weapon. I suddenly thought, This is impossible. It can't be happening.

I shock it off and returned my gaze back to the Gauss pistol. Bad! She was still behind me. I picked it up, put it out for her to take, and handed it to her. Point it and squeeze this to fire it.

My mind started slipping. I started to think I was mentally deranged. It's like the S.T.S. I trained in. But that was a little computer monitor and desktop joystick. Did they experiment on me?!

I looked at Eleanna. She was not part of anything I remember from the simulation training system. I thought, this must be real.

I looked at Eleanna. Pinch me!

OW! You didn't have to pinch me so hard.

She apologized. I guess I don't know my own strength.

I slowly gazed around. I said to Eleanna; I don't think we're in the twentieth Century anymore.