From Day Dreams of a Spaced Out old Man comes

Deleted54170User

Chapter 22

He struggled with the pain. Bent over holding his head. He could barely see anything. He stumbled. Got up! Stopped thinking. Took a couple deep breaths. A couple of people approached.

I heard there's a girl in 308 that is from 2018.

Woe! That's over hundred years ago.

She's not from here. Unfortunately.

That's going to give the director a headache.

When is the last time any unfamiliar found their way here from their time?

Not since that guy in 203. Calls himself Napoleon. A real general; the book says. I just got back from a few years since his rise in power. Took a bayonet in the shin. Took twelve days to get my leg back to normal.

Any more accidental arrivals and this place will start turning into a nut house if they don't figure out a way to send them back to their own time.

They noted Dave as they passed.

You should have seen the mess his body was in when he arrived. They paused beside him to help. Someone spoke from behind them. They straightened up and moved along.

Dave leaned, his right hand palm pressed against the wall.

A woman approached.

There you are.

Looks like I better get you to the doc. How bad is it?

He tilted his head so he could look at her. The look on his face said it all.

She took his left wrist in one hand and his elbow. Good thing it's close.

Is Eleanna here? Ow! ****!

Let's get the monitor off you first so you can think clearly, then we'll talk.

She can't go back?

We've got options. Best we talk later. The collector appears to have all your data. You'll be able to think without interruptions once it's removed. Now! Shush!

Her command was kindled with affection and comforting. He shushed and let her lead on.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 23

Welcome back Mr. Basque!

The woman turned to face the doctor. Hey! Jill.

Mam.

The director led Dave to a tall backed chair.

Jill stood walked behind it and started work. As soon as she was finished she turned and walked around to face Dave.

Dave the data merm was successful. Sorry about the headaches.

Did the events that happened get changed by some org that used time travel?

Time travel had something to do with it. A book in our data library banks by H. G. Wells gave some insight to the fact it was thought of long before we discovered a link to the past that had our merms could connect to. Anyone who used the technique from several studies we have in the library describe how, from his writings and what we knew about from others would have known, meddling with the past could drastically alter the future. Thus, in your merm, the case was an effect of making an alteration to where the blast forces were directed. Someone sent them through a time warp.

That's what your merm shows us what caused the catastrophe you experienced. The records are all good. The data will clear up recorded history of the mess our ancestors wrote. Always writing with sensationalism. Selling papers did give them the incentive to fictionalize it a bit, too much.

What about the girl he saved?

She was able to get back to her own time. Unlike you she was actually present there. The body you connected with through the merm was the private in the Marine Corp we have in cryo. Now that we have his memories we will be able to determine what details were required before they would have had him activated to receive treatment.

Chapter 24

Doctor Basque!

Yes Mam!

You've reached your max of mental usability. Ten. As you know any more like this last one, may mar your brain. You remembered details, which means you've gotten so you can override the merm. It's meant to keep the brain from interacting as a burb. It's only to collect history record. The young man out of time in the cryogenic tank was saved because of you. Some interesting facts you might like to know. He was one of the last to test the latest upgraded Cryo-system. Previous systems failed. Views from the mind of the cryogenic preserved man showed up that someone accidentally solved the preservation tanks problem. A person stuck a wad of chewing gum in the drain pipe sealing it temporarily. When his tank persevered keeping him from suffering from defrosting it was discovered that in other machines it was causing the person insides death from repeated refreshed freezes.

They put a plug on the end of the pipe and it kept it from letting any accidental warm air to get in. They designed and put a permanent plug on it and his tank was the last they ever experimented with.

We wanted to be assured he was not carrying a contagious disease. I just wanted to remind you our merm friends are careful not to miss any detail of events.

Where the chewing gum held plugging the pipe it kept any warm air from rising into the pipe slowly warming up the tank.

Something else. You've log nine without a single memory overload. Remembering the gal, remembering the location, a show the lad wanted to see, and parts which are irrelevant to our program puts you out of the collector group. You can teach, sharing your experience with future candidates.

There is one mystery. The young woman appeared to be from another time. The time warp may not have been the cause of her having been there. Since she did materialize in another time, at our official site, we know she survived because of a merm focusing through you on the time there. I didn't want to tell you this, I wanted you to recover your own personal life memories totally, without any lingering merm details. She disappeared before anyone noted. A time warp reset maybe? We don't know.

The young man in the cryogenic tank... We discovered while your mind was aiding the merm collecting his history, that he had no health problems. He had fallen for a girl at a delivery he made, he was so smitten he appeared so even when he delivered the vanilla envelope with his transfer papers to another gal working in the large office space with several desks at the naval office. Another man who was romancing the second gal, the gal that received the envelope, thought he was going to ruin all the work he had accomplished ending his romance.. He had pull at the base with the science officers running the study program, and forged a bit of the pvt's medical records.

We are going to be waking him up. Thanks to your assistance and clarity of mind during the moments; the Merm was able to get several more small, but significant finds.

Jill, thanks. You're welcome Mam.

And to the last order of business Dr. Basque.

Have a nice vacation Doctor Basque. See you in two weeks. Teacher.

Chapter 25

At the elevator Darius Angelo Vincent Edur Basque pressed the call button.

Teacher? Hmm? He liked the sound of that. Since the merm was removed he clearly knew where and when he was. A trickle of excitement filled his head. He looked at his right forearm and noticed he had goosebumps. He looked at the elevator counter. Eleven. The elevator had not moved. He was on vacation time and he was eager to get on with it.

He pushed the elevator button again. He looked about. The hall was empty with a few doors ajar sticking out into it. He saw the sign for the stairs. He thought about how many floors he was up and looked at the elevator number again. Taking long strides he sprinted to the stair's door. He grabbed the lever and pressed down.

Darn! Locked. The elevator door opened. He turned and ran toward it. Leaping to get there before the doors closed with one hand stretched out to stick in between the doors as he dove for it. A college came out of her office and walked to the elevator. She pushed the button. The doors opened. On his side laid out sliding along the shiny buffed floor he slid near to her. He turned his head so she could see the sheepish grin on his face. She stared at him as he got up off the tiles on to his feet.

Once on his feet he looked at her face. He saw that familiar look his Mother used to give him. Then he suddenly realized he was having fun. He looked at her. Then blurted out the words; I 'm on vacation.

They looked at each other. The faces reasoned with the thought.

Their laughter echoed in the hall as the elevator doors hissed and closed.

The road to Dr. Basque's cabin appeared.

If you were to look at the cabin from the outside it's logs all jointed correctly with a small door and wooden shutter halves closed both covering a three by two foot window, a little stone chimney sticking up a few feet from the peak in the wooden shingles on the roof with a trap door on the roof in case of a severe snow storm. A pile of split wood stacked neatly six rows high, next to the back door. A metal ash dump flap outside on the wall at the base of the fire place. In all it looks quite rustic and old fashion. Just a log cabin in the woods with a little dirt and stone walking path to the road and another path to an old wooden outhouse.

On the inside.

Picture windows camera on!

Enlarge thermometer readout!

Chimney 360 camera on!

Set car ramp and walk path heaters on! Monitor them on low melt heat!

Garage camera on! Show electric car's panel! Run diagnostics! Update check up!

I'll have eggs over easy, two slices of bacon, two slices of toast, and orange juice.

Be careful Doc. The table is extending from the wall. Setting breakfast plate, placing fork, knife, spoon on napkin, coffee saucer, toast plate, butter dish, small tumbler of orange juice... Would you like a bowl of granola cereal today?

Yes! Thanks. Table is ready, Doc.

Your coffee. Doc.

A robo-arm extends from the kitchen counter holding out the cup filled with 105 degree F. coffee toward him.

Thanks Sophie.

You might be wondering where the cabin is getting all the electricity to keep everything working. Look outside at the woods. There in the morning light you can see sparkly dew drops on the leafs covering the trees. I like the big one with a tree house in it. It's branches extend out fifty feet from the trunk. Wind moves the branches, leafs waving in the wind.
The branches gyration transmit electricity to the storage beneath the roof as the leaf on each branch collects the sun light. A gentle hydroponic pumping stations in the well gathers more from the rise and fall of the water in the well. The tree house?! You thought it might be the storage area for the electricity. Or maybe for children. Nope. I like the tree house just for what it is. A place to do my day dreaming excellent for crafts and a music section too.
The tree and tree house is modeled after the Swiss Family Robinson's little home, only with all the modern amenities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The work is never done.

zzzzzzz ZZZ Zzz!

What?!

Oh! Rolls over on one side. Looks at the stand where his modular phone is. Answer!

Dr. Basque?

Yes.

This is Maybell. You asked for a wake up call at 6:00 AM.

Ah! Maybell! Thank you. I was enjoying my vacation so much I felt like today would never arrive. I must have been dreaming just before you called. I had the most exciting feeling occur to me before I awakened. Oh! Darn. I can't remember what it was that I dreamed of just before I awakened now.

Oh! Wouldn't it be nice Maybell; if the days like yesterday would always be the same today as yesterday. Not a story with an end? There has got to be more to this. Maybe a moral like Aesop's Fables? Oh! Wait! That's what I was dreaming about, and today is the end of my vacation.

Thank you for calling Maybell.

You're welcome Dr. Basque. Enjoy your new job.

Is that Xmas music coming from your office Maybell?

Yes! Have a nice day! Goodbye.

Goodbye. Thank you, and I hope your holidays are filled with merry memories.

Hmm?

Get to the shower. Hm? So comfortable! Hm?

New job? Xmas?

Xmas?!

Shower. Need shower!

Throwing one leg at a time slowly over the edge of the bed Dr. Basque sits on the edge. He feels the space around him. Remembers how warm and cozy he was. He feels his mind letting go. His body begins to lean back into the warm blankets on the beds.

COFFEE ON!

Bouncing back up off the bed covers that were so tempting he springs to his feet. He looks down at his bare feet. Standing up! Move right foot. Onward! To the shower!