From Day Dreams of a Spaced Out old Man comes

Deleted54170User

Today I was agitated when I realized I saw two trucks. One whose driver seemed determined to show off his same brand of vehicle that was much newer than mine. The second truck rounded the corner and slowed as I parked my old friend. It too was so new the driver appeared to be glowing in passing like a showing.

All that would have been needed to make me feel even more like the vehicles were being pushed for a sale, was a woman standing on a rotating table next to a similar style pick up truck to make it an offer to buy one.

I realized the two pick up trucks were identical. Even their color. The drivers were the only difference to either of them. I pondered the idea earlier in the day while I traveled to hunt for a source of water with no mineral content. Deionized water is what I found and it is without minerals or any other element that can cling to minerals. Without minerals water has only the two elements, two hydrogen and one oxygen.

Many times I thought, about a change of vehicle, Newer, with the style, make, and model of my present one. Too many variables that my T-Rusty pick up truck has the the newer models have not.

Yes! I can enjoy a few more options than the modern versions of the carriages they have today.

I tried my best to realize any uses I might gain if I bought one of the new kinds that appeared to rival my own pick up truck. I could not find any new ways to improve my life with a newer one.

T-Rusty and I will make due until T-Rusty's no longer able to provide or I am no longer able to drive. Those $60,000.00 pick up trucks I saw were both black. They were so clean, polished so they shined. A black so enchanting if I were to stare at it the color I could lose oneself in the endless drift of outer space. If not for the silver metal strips to remind us it is a truck, not an outer space vehicle.

Today I kept my T-Rusty vehicle. I trust T-Rusty will suit my needs until another time. I saved myself from having a lot of payments on a new vehicle I would have, could have. But, most likely I would have just driven around like a salesman showing off my new wares.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another pickup truck that looked like the other two I mentioned the other day; appeared in my rear view mirror. I could see it behind me over the land that was fairly level. It was a few miles behind my vehicle. I kept my vehicle's speed steady since there was no traffic to flow with or any reason to rush. There appeared a hill ahead and I kept the speedometer as close to the same speed the engine could manage. Almost at the top of the hill the speed was lower by five miles an hour. I hadn't sped up upon the approach to the hill and the lack of extra gas being pumped in, proved the engine wasn't so inclined to sail to the top speed suggested on the road signs.

Rolling down the other side of the hill I gained more speed. Sort of compensation for slowing my progress a bit in the climb. It gave me back the time I lost being slowed by the hill. Another hill was ahead, about 4 miles or so. I decided to give the vehicle peddle the pump to get the extra speed because the next hill was a lot longer of a climb. The vehicle made it to the top with the speedometer showing it held to the road signs suggested speed. As my vehicle reached the crest I noted that the pick up truck that was five or more miles behind before was moving up closer to my vehicle rather quickly.

As my vehicle started the descent from the top of the hill it picked up speed again even though I took my foot off the gas peddle. At the bottom of the hill I noted I had only traveled a mile. I did the casual mirror checks and when I did I saw that the big black truck with chrome to make it attractive was at the top of the hill. Already?! I thought. My! The driver must have pushed the peddle to the floor to get that distance their vehicle did from where I first saw it. The driver must have been pumping it up to at least 20 miles an hour faster then the speed limit suggested by all those signs along the way.

I felt unconcerned. Then the vehicle did something I didn't expect.

The driver could have passed me right there and then. The short lines for passing in the lane were visible and the road ahead was clear. I figured since the person driving the black pick up truck was going faster than my vehicle the vehicle would go right by like in a show off sense. Where a young person shows off they are healthier and quicker, in a foot race, than an old man headed for the finish line.

The pick up truck was eight or so car lengths behind my vehicle and it slowed. Didn't get any closer. The driver kept it at that distance for several miles. I wondered why the person driving drove all that way fast enough to get to where the distance to my vehicle was and slowed down. A bit further along my vehicle was speeding up as it went down a short down hill stretch of road. The truck behind me sped up too to keep up. I started feeling curious again. After a moment or two I started to feel haunted by paranoia. I wondered if I had done something in the past that was finally catching up with me?

I have traveled that two lane highway many times. I knew of three side roads I could take to get to my destination. One of which was about a mile from my present location. I felt like playing a game.

I thought. Should I take the turn off up next? Maybe the one ten miles after it? Possibly the next one? I saw the first turn off. My vehicle was going ten mph over the suggested speed. I chuckled. I began pressing down on the brake peddle.

The vehicle behind came up to two vehicle lengths. I flipped the turn signal on. The truck behind me did the same. The turn came up and I flipped my turn signal off and kept going forward. The bigger black truck slowed and took the turn.

I thought, What a surprise! That must have been where the other person was going to turn all along. I saw the driver clearly enough I noted the face. There was no notable surprised look on the face of the driver. I kept going.

It was fifty nine miles to the place where I was going to turn south west and steer toward to get to the grocery store I was going to. At a four way stop I saw that same kind of truck, chrome and all. I looked up at the driver.

Same person. The vehicle swerved across the dividing line toward mine just as mine made the right turn at the four way stop. Another foot or two and that big black truck would have slammed right into my vehicle. I thought. What luck!

A thought that crossed my mind then, was, it wasn't T-Rusty I was driving that day. Seemed to me that the big black pick up truck appearing again, with another driver I hadn't seen before, that, that was the spooky part of the occasion, but when I got to the grocery store it was closed.

If I had sped up along the way to keep ahead of that black pickup truck I might have gotten to the store in time. You see. I wasn't in any hurry though. I thought they were open for another hour. When I arrived the sign showed me they had changed the stores hours and now closed at seven pm.

I was correct feeling the ways I did while that black pick up truck barreled up behind my car. I just never thought that a spirit would see that my purpose would end in disappointment and send a spirit to act like a cattle chaser to get me to the market on time. That spirit could have just had me look on the Internet so I would see I needed to leave an hour earlier.

Such is life! Not always being so sensible because I enjoy the views along the open highway. I enjoyed the road trip just the same. After all that; today, I realized what I thought I needed from their stock, I could make it from the ingredients in the old woman's spices from the rack I remembered. I only noticed it when she was around making something good to eat from all the different ingredients she had there.

Seems like two spirits, at least, have been trying to help when I was out and about on a road trip, exploring like I like to too, going to get something someone else already thought up.

When I made the drink with the spice from on the rack and added the two ingredients to a bottle of soda stream pumped water it seemed to taste better then the store bought ones, just as if Mom had made it for me.

Hey! Here's a clinker for all I have written above. The End or the BEGINNING!

Wow! That drink I made with squeezed lemon juice and the secret ingredient someone put into those little plastic round lemon shaped bottles.

A legal secret ingredient.

Well... The stuff I found in the spice rack, that I put an eighth of teaspoon in ten ounces of water, made me feel better after drinking the home brewed one I made with the secret ingredient.

I won't tell, because it seems to have brought me back to being level.

The old man awakened. Startled by an alarm going off. Shaking off sleep he noted the quiet in the room. The alarm clock had not been used in years. He looked at the time. He hadn't had to get up at that hour since he was in the military. 4:25 A. M..

It must have been a dream. The mobile phone didn't make the noise. He picked it up. Looked at the face plate. Several Messages were available only they had not caused it to play it's short alarm. Something from his sleep stirred. Pictures of computer video game mods mixed with his real life activities. While he looked through emails he saw 4 new posts on a thread he started.

Strange! They are all links, not comments. I think someone is trying to tell me something?

A moment later part of his dream sleep reoccurred to his memory. Mods he remembered looking through. One in particular he remembered from his dreaming. Haversham? Hm?

Typing he entered in the Google Search. Haversham.... Chris Haversham now has NOVAC work/sleep AI.

Oh! Yeah! That's cool. I always thought that station in NOVAC had a vendor running a shop from there. I never picked the scrap off the shelf, until I was sure, no one really owned it. Still... Taking it got bad Karma. About time someone did something about it. And that definitely was a good idea, putting Chris to work after being left behind by the ghouls who went off in those rocket ships.

The old man tipped off. Almost falling back to sleep.

Might as well get up and start the coffee machine.

As he dragged his body out of bed he grabbed a remote control. Pressed a button. What would you like today Sir!

Coffee.

Your usual sir?

Yes.

Very well, sir. Sir! You'll need to release the gate's lock for there is a delivery man with a package on his way.

How soon will the UPS driver arrive?

The trucks taken a turn, going west. Time of arrival can't be estimated.

Thanks.

The stairs seemed taller. It seemed like he was smaller and had to raise his leg up higher to get his foot on the first step.

That was a wonderland experience. Alice's drink that shrank her so she could follow the white rabbit down the rabbit hole kind of an experience.

The act broke the spell, even so he still rose up slower, more careful about it. All that martial training and never once had he failed to not fail and become a victim.

I need coffee.

His friend of old used to trick him like the guy in Pink Panther movies. Half asleep his mind played back the events of one morning.

1. Attack from Above; the man jumps down from the steps above. Hoping to knock him off his feet and get the kill. Climbing the next step was easier.

The memories being so easy to see while half asleep in dreamland, as he struggled to climb the stairs.

2. Three times tolls the bell. Swipes of real bullets being shot at him came to his attention as he took the next step. He twisted and turned. They didn't even touch his flapping pajama shirt sleeves or sides. Could have ruined my new pajama suit! The steps passed faster until he reached the bend in the stair case. It seemed like the steps passed faster.

Wake up! WAKE UP!

Dragging along the left foot to the next step it was followed by the right foot as his old left knee sagged.

3. Whack the Chimps; solid objects falling from above sailed passing him as he shot the targets off the buildings. The stairs never felt him press down beyond his toes as he leapt up to the top floor.

Dragging his left foot up, his right knee sagging almost to touch the edge of the next step.

Dreaming! I gotta get some coffee.

4.The Big Bang! As the 60 mm ripped past he felt the gentle breeze following the round pulling at his pajama top. Gotcha!

Not!.

The right foot seemed heavier making him lean further so his left knee did press against the edge of the step.

No more. I am getting too old to even fantasize! The shout should have awaken him, but then he thought, maybe I am dreaming I am awake while I am dreaming?

Strong coffee, yes. I need it.

5. The Ghost Door. The sharp edge of the sliding glass door slipped down behind him. Missed me! What?!

I don't remember there being a flap on the back of my pajamas bottoms. MOM!

Wait! Still drifting in dreamland. That's it.

6. The coffee machine. Finally! Pulled the silver hand holding the tray so the cup would not move.

Where's the cup?! That thing! A what?! A Demitasse?

Still, carefully, with his big mitt of a hand he pinched the handle with his thumb and first finger, raising the cup with careful precision. Sipping.

Ah! Wakee, wakee.

Never thought I would be sipping coffee out of a cup no bigger than the little ones in a set Mom gave my little sister. I need a man's cup.

• 2 weeks later...

While the 14 day Home Quarantine was in practice I found other ways to heal other problems I had.

The Covid-19 Vaccine has relieved me of one more worry. To make this post short. I no longer feel Spaced Out or Looney, like; a radio announcer going nuts because of the horrors his family, friends, and business associates are suffering from in reality.

• 2 weeks later...

What?! Do you think I am Sane?!

Then someone has tricked us all and Lewis Carrol is our only hope to regain a semblance of life in the sane world we struggle to keep from ruling us called REALITY!

As quotes were seen in other books I remember, so many have repeated quotes as if they were Alice them self.

Remember this one?!

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." -- Lewis Carroll.

I seem to know a truth, because as a boy I knew about another lad named Peter Pan. Amazing as Alice in Wonderland was, more girls wanted to be more like Peter Pan. And even in movies girls, like during ancient times when all were men in all of Shakespeare's plays, females played the part of the boy from Never-Never Land.

“have i gone mad?
I'm afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usually are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

A fair young man walked into a tavern. Fair hair, the color of Autumn; fair skin, pinkish white, dressed in full length trousers that the ends were stuffed in well worn boots. A shirt of pale almost white thin leather with long sleeves and a collar. Not customarily familiar to the people who wore sheep skin vests. The collar was folded back and was hidden by some of the long locks of hair running down his back.

He held up a bag to show the owner he was there for trade. After discussing his proposal the owner bid him welcome. After a moment the young man pulled out a small bulging purse. He loosened the straps. Poured out some of the contents onto the counter. Started counting them out for the owner to see. The round disks he separated into two piles. One for the owner, who smiled and brought the man a mug of beer and took his order for a meal.

The owner moved to the kitchen and called to the cook. Get a steak and eggs ready!

Everyone in the tavern spied the man and his trinkets. They looked at the little round orbs from their seats at various tables. A middle aged man in a booth who was sat with chair leaned back against the wall. He was snoozing at the moment the young man arrived. All the ruckus stirred him from his pursuit of happiness. He leaned forward and the chair tilted up. Whilst on all four legs he set his feet solidly on the ground.

Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes as he yawned to fully awake he could hear the mouths whispers that stirred him to his senses. One who was close by whispered to their nearest neighbor at their table. It's must be valuable!

The neighbor stared at the young man at the bar who was sitting there on a stool sipping beer from a large stein. I wonder if they are just dirty. Diamonds? Or maybe gold?

His friend at the table nodded his head with a look of chance in his grin. Seeing so many of the tiny orbs he suggested he and his friend might easily be able to swipe a couple. The man in the booth heard enough.

Wide awake, he turned his eagle eyes on the site where people were talking about money that could be got. Some of the shop owners thought loudly about their wares. Hoping their boisterous pride would get his attention. The young man quietly sipped some more from the stein.

The man in the booth got out of his slumber. Now awake, brave and bold, he walked over to and stepped up to the bar near the young man.

The young man saw a hand appear as words began to fill his ears.

What have we here?

The young man stopped the others roving hand and politely eyed his new friend. Whispering a little too quietly to be heard he turned his face toward the big fellow.

They are riches for those with good manners and intellect. Are you such a man of position and wisdom?

The big man knew enough to say, yes, even though his eyes exposed greed in his manner.

The young man searched for others who might have their ears perked up. Wisdom some times is like a breeze. Gentle and warm. Other times it fails us and does not even keep us cool on a hot day. These keep us from losing our control like a breeze can turn to a wind of force. Driving our thoughts out of our head as we struggle with the wind at our back and trying to keep our school of wisdom from leaving us in those times.

What magic is this?! A trick with words. Say plainly what you have got!

They are smart pills.

What?! Ha ha. Smart pills? What a lot of rot!

Seriously! One of these will start you on your way along the path to the house of scholars. Just to prove I am honest I will give you one. Eat it now! It will start having an effect soon after.

The big man took the round orb popped it into his mouth. Took a sip from his own stein and glared at the young man. We'll see!!!

The young man looked him in the eyes. I'll even make you a small wager. I will bet you ten of my coins against one of yours that you'll be smarter before I finish my breakfast.

The big man scoffed. It will be my pleasure to take your money.

The young man smiled. You should be feeling the rise of your minds attention to that one you just ate.

The big man's face got a look of surprise on it. Odd.

Feeling better?

What?! I am.

The first sign. The young man tipped his stein to make a toast. To wisdom; may we all know more and be wizened on how to use it.

The big man looked hard on the rest of those little round orbs. How much do you want for them?

First! About our wager.

The big man gave him ten of his coins. Now how much?

One of the same for each. I'll even give you few extra if you buy more than twenty. Which would be enough to keep you getting wiser if you take them over the length of time between two full moons.

The big man frowned. How much for twenty and how many more?

Oh! Two.

Not enough.

After a few minutes of haggling. They agreed that ten more for no extra charge.

The young man sat back and watched as he placed the money on the bar. He counted out thirty of the little orbs. The owner arrived with a plate with the steak and eggs. He pointed out that the cook had added some biscuits. Winked, with smile. Picked up the coins to pay from the pile that appeared on the counter. The big man took his orbs and walked back to his booth.

While the young man ate he occasioned to look around the room. Eyes around blinked and turned away instead of braving a look to seek an invitation.

He heard a grumble from the booth where the big man sat. At first glance he could see the man was toying with the orbs. Sturdy balls full with gifts to make a man wise. A warm breeze swept into the room raising dust up off the floor. The young man peered out through the winged doors. He could see the Sun was risen more. He began to eat a little faster.

He swallowed and turned to look around the tavern before he turned back to his plate of food.

The big man was eyeing one of the orbs. Studying it.

I see you are becoming curious. A sure sign of wisdom at your door.

The big man grunted. Then he smiled. He popped the orb into his mouth. Ah! I see!

The young man took another bite of the steak and chewed a little faster.

The air was growing warmer. He swallowed again. Peered around the room. Picked up his stein turned to the big man in the booth. A toast to wisdom!

The big man picked up his stein. Picked up the round orbs he had and ate them all. Raised his stein after he tossed them into his mouth one by one. A toast to wisdom! Drinking enough to wash them all down.

The young man smiled and returned to his plate. He cut another piece, held it on the fork up to one egg and pushed the meat into the yoke and twisted it covering it in the nectar of egg. Chewing slowly and enjoying the flavors. The air in the room grew warmer as the morning sun braised the chill off everything outside.

As he finished his meal he took the bag up put all the little orbs left into it with the rest. He started to take a stand. He felt the gentle breeze at his back stopped. He turned and there was the big man. He had walked up behind him.

The young man saw no fists or weapons.

How much do you want for the rest of those magic pills.

Pills?! Wisdom surely is upon you faster. He bared a smile, near enough.

How much?! There's at least a hundred in the back, but I should warn you...

How much!!!

So many! All for two hundred.

No! Deal twenty and ten as we agreed.

Surely I agree! Now that you've gained wisdom you know their worth.

Twenty five with five free.

If you insist I wish only the best for us both.

Deal?! A grin on his face has a shade of anger.

Yes! Deal! May I have the money. Please!

A yes! My good man! Here, for your graces I feel more like a man. Here! Take the whole paper.

Twice as much? Why thank you good sir!

The two stood each staring at their trade and good fortune for a moment.

The young man spirited by the warm feeling and the heat of the day entering on the breeze swiftly took steps to the winged door.

The big man holding the tight drawn string watched as the young man stepped away. As the young man stepped out the winged doors creaked at his pressure. The big man continued with the opened purse and took a closer look.

Hundreds not one hundred. He smiled at his good fortune. A grin so wide he began to feel great. He took a deep breath. At the doors the young man waved just a step outside.

As the young man disappeared into the crowd the big man shouted at him. Even with all the noise the big man could hear that young man laughing. The big man spit and coughed. Hey! These pills! They smell like rabbit droppings.

Somewhere out of the crowd the young man could be heard. You see! You're smarter already!

Curses!

Foiled again!

:laugh: Curtains :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like the pill I have just got that has vitamins or minerals, or both in it, is just another pill to replace another kind of food that used to be served at meal time. A kind of food we can't get anymore; like chicken.

It used to be that there was so many chickens that we had chicken everything. Chicken fried steaks, deep fried chicken, chicken nuggets, chicken ala king, chicken noodle soup, spiced chicken chow main, roast chicken, chicken drums, chicken wings, and even buffalo hot wings chicken.

I sense the tiny tablet doesn't really do anything at all. But it's what I got! I get ten more with it that are different shapes and sizes. All to replace food we used to eat at meal times. I can barely remember food. I only dream about food occasionally, now.

I remember when the family sat at the dining room table for every feast. Oh what a splendid feature; for Mom's cooking was always about sharing the ideas she got from the Cooking Classes from the Young Women's Christian Association. Meals that other Moms made for their families on holidays. A feast made to remind us there were other people with different tastes all around the world.

Pills! What will they think of next? Maybe pills to do all our thinking for us?

Posted; Friday; July 16, 2021 at 10:38 AM MST during Daylight Savings Time which is 11:38 AM MDT.

After leaving my friends and getting into the passenger's side of the car the journey began from where I was. The past faded in the side mirror of the right side of the car.

The road through the big city was empty of other vehicles. On the way to the edge of the city only one sign appeared. A directions sign. It had two words on it, "To Learn" and an arrow pointing to the road to turn on.

After the car's driver traveled a mile or two another sign appeared, "To Learn" with it's arrow pointing the way. Rolling hills dressed in green grass up to sandy nolle's appeared as the car glided along. A fork in the road appeared. Ahead to the left there was some water several miles below. To the right a sign appeared. Different somehow with the words that sent the message that it was the way to learn.

I peered at the rolling plains to the left that would have gone down toward the water we could see. A river? I returned my gaze to the movement of the vehicle. It seemed as though the driver was going to go that way until my sense of adventure caused the vehicle to stop. Back up a bit. I could see clearly what the sign said. I realized that their was a little difference in the two words.

The two words were written in lower case letters. No capital "T" or capital "L". It was clear that sign was written by someone who didn't care for those little things we are familiar with. The car turned to the road with the sign pointing to "to learn". As soon as the vehicle reached a part of the road high enough to see the surrounding land, it became clear, the water we saw was a river. It traveled along to the left of the road I could see.

I said to someone I couldn't see. It appears this is an island and goes no further. I felt that feeling of being somewhere. Somewhere where learn might be a town. I looked around at the grass covered lands surrounded by the water flowing around it.

Someone said, There is nothing here!

I recall looking at the ground, the grass growing on it, and saw shapes formed by way the soil the grasses were growing on was uneven. The river flowed along just beyond the island's edges. The water's wake splashed and sputtered as it continued on going far out of our sight. The water pushed around corners left and right. Water could be seen pressing and pulling on the shore along it's passage. I could hear a gentle breeze whisper through the grass over the land. I could hear the flowing water.

I said, I am sorry to hear, you don't hear or see anything, and think there is nothing here, nothing to Learn.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I was so happy to have a new Internet Service with no caps of Gigabytes again. I say, was; because I found a couple of mods I hadn't been able to download the day the Cantenna I had back when, for the Internet Service, broke down. When I saw the first mod it reminded me why I got so excited about learning to mod. And yesterday I saw it, and another mod too, that gave me just as much creative thinking juice to restore my desire.

What an exciting moment!

It fizzled out like a good moment of excitement does though. A part of my disabled body is restored. :dance: I fizzled out normally; instead of flying off high up into the sky and gliding up there for days flying around until I tired. :teehee: Love is another kind of uplifting experience. :wub: It lasts, and lasts, until the honeymoon is over.

Now that I have, I realized I have regained part of my physical property. The power to rise up, energized, only for a good while, and then return to Earth. After a moment or two I recovered and I don't desire to mod. Thanks to Nexusmods :thumbsup: for keeping that bundle of nerve exciting mods. Now I can go softly off into rl and live again.