Why does everyone here seem and/or say they kill Loghain every time?

SpellAndShield

Spared him a couple of times. I think there is an option whereby you get to keep both of them but you need to have a particular conversation with Alastair on the subject of the Goldanna quest after the meeting between them in Denerim

I recommend executing Loghain yourself. Justice for the slain Grey Wardens. Loghain was always going to wipe them out and you as well. Justice for the deaths of the Couslands. Loghain was the master planner behind that or at least complicit in it by letting it happen. Justice for the Howes at Redcliffe, and last but not least after accepting Loghain's surrender, loyalty to Alastair as a comrade in arms and the acceptance of his judgement. Though Riordan's suggestion makes political and logical sense I let Alastair's opinion overrule it. For Alastair it gives closureand delivers justice for the death of all his brothers in arms and Duncan who I never really knew. An added bonus is to make Alastair King. He is such a putz at being a grey warden and Morrigan is right he is a dimwit. Will make an ideal King and a favourite of the Chantry with his thing about mages and blood magic

Edited by Cobwebmaster

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time I just had Loghain in my party, I think he is so much more awesome than Alistair :). Though the dialogue options you have with him are totally weird (but there is an age gap between myself and Loghain); maybe I am the only one who would feel embarrassed to tell Loghain that he needs to have sex so that no Grey Wardens die >.>. You like can't tell someone that age to have sex like that o_O.

• 5 months later...
I considered sparring him once, but he has just done so much to the Warden personally. I mean if you played as the human noble, he was allied with the guy that slaughtered your family, not to mention he is the reason Howe was in the position to do so. Another thing that always bothered me was that he seemed suprised the beacon was lit, and had previously claimed he had people already stationed there prior to Callin sending the warden to the tower implying that it was not neccissary...he's just plain shifty, even ignoring the amount of times he's tried to kill the warden or just led people to their deaths.

Let's see . . . Loghain deserted his king with the knowledge that in all probability that Cailen, his troops, and the Gray Wardens with them would be slaughtered (desertion, treason, and murder by proxy), set bounties on the Wardens and then hired the Crows to assassinate the Wardens (murder again), was apparently going to seize the throne from his daughter (treason again), and was selling Fereldan citizens into slavery to fund his efforts.

Let him live? Not a chance . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i cant bring myself to let him live. alistair is too important to me, even if i dont use him hes such a good guy and a great friend. he's the ruler fereldan needs. plus my favorite part is when u lop off his head and his blood sprays all over his daughter. i love that.

I only spared Loghain once; for the achievement and to see what would happen.

Every other playthrough, Loghain dies. If Anora doublecrosses me at the Landsmeet, I let Alistair do it.

It was obvious to me that Loghain's smouldering hatred for anything Orlesian has addled his senses. When Cailan is willing to to allow Orlesian Wardens enter into Ferelden to help defeat the Blight -and won't back down- it sends Loghain over the proverbial precipice in the dark abyss of rapidly evolving madness.

Evidently, Loghain and Cailan had been bickering about the Orlesian participation for quite a while, as Loghain initiated Eamon's poisoning before the massacre at Ostagar. Also Loghain had closed off the Tower of Ishal after they had discovered some lower chambers. It's my guess Loghain had these tunnels investigated and understood that these could provide an Achilles heel to Ishal's security. He probably counted on the Darkspawn finding their way into the tower and make sure the signal would never be sent.

If Cailan insists that the two Wardens light the fire, he can only suspect that these Wardens will die, trying to reach the top of the tower.

He never counted on Flemeth's intervention.

When he sees the fire lit, the look of surprise -astonishment would be better- on his face says it all. Especially coupled with the way he says "Sound... the retreat."

At the Landsmeet itself Arl Wulff asks whether Loghain would let the Darkspawn take Ferelden for fear of Orlais. Both Cailan and Loghain never seemed convinced (at Ostagar) that a true Blight was upon the land.

As a Cousland Loghain tells me he heard of Cailan's promise to bring Howe to justice, so he knows what Howe's done -maybe even helped Howe orchestrate to take down the most powerful and well-liked Noble House Cousland; during the Cousland Origin story it quickly becomes evident that some people would have preferred the Couslands to be king of Ferelden. I think Dairren says that it is probably an expression as to how well liked -and thus very likely quite influential- your Father is. When Loghain barks his "Whatever Howe may have done, he should have been brought before the Seneschal", the git is denying that he has been aware of what crime Howe committed even before your arrival to Ostagar. Simply trying to disconnect himself from the public embarassment Howe has become after hiss untimely demise and trying to turn it into his own favor. That in itself is enough for my Cousland character to see Loghain die. And no, his death won't undo anything that has already come to pass, but at least he is made to pay for his crimes. Making him a Warden is something he does not deserve. Loghain's actions throught the story, merit this punishment.

True Alistair is a spineless whining sort a fool. And he always is second guessing my decisions -decisions he doesn't want to have to make. He pawns all responsibility onto my character and then has the gall to tell me I didn't do what he would've done, had he been in charge. So while I usually let him live, I tend to make him miserable throughout the entire journey -whenever I play an elf who hates humans with a vengeance for all the past strife between elves and humans. Especially when my Dalish Elf is cast out, she swears Duncan will pay for his actions. Since he dies quite early in the game I take out my wrath on the one who reveres him: Alistair. (I only wish I could've had a bit of dialogue with the Keeper when she acknowledges Duncan's invocation of the Rite of Conscription; slapping her ring out of her hand -"Keep your damn trinket. From this day forth I am no longer Dalish!")

Doesn't really matter what race I play, what Origin story I started out with. As the game progresses, I can only feel a sense of vengeance or justice, or both, when the reckoning finally comes. I only regret that if/when Anora stabs me in the back, I can't send her after her daddy forthwith.

As an aside I would've liked some cinematics that would've shown what would have happened to Ferelden, when your character and the entire party dies. Especially at some critical crossroads in the game; when gaining a consensus against Loghain in the landsmeet fails, battle ensues and all Loghain defeats us all. Nice battle sequence of Loghain's forces being decimated and when he finally manages to slay the Archdemon, his total disbelief when the dragon is reborn. Followed by shots of Ferelden laid to waste. Then how the Orlesian Wardens defeat the Blight and decades later can reclaim a slowly recovering Ferelden as their new province. Of course that would be too extensive to be implemented.

Anyway, Loghain dies. If he's willing to risk losing his beloved Ferelden to the Blight so the Orlesians won't get it, he's really gone round the bend. Bye bye -and Exit Loghain.