I don't think my computer is able to handle ENBs with my heavily modded game, so I attempted to uninstall my ENB and the binary with ENB FXAA SweetFX Manager and Remover (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7804/?). Once I ran it and attempted to start Skyrim, I got a CTD during the initial loading screen of my savegame.

Before this, I tried to use Realvision ENB and adjusted my skyrimprefs.ini accordingly. It worked fine but was a little too FPS heavy with all the mods i have, so I installed ENBoost which significantly improved my performance but minimized the ENB's effects.

I found some other mods (notably Imaginator MCM and immersive saturation/contrast boost -http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32064/?) that could achieve the coloring/lighting features I wanted without being as taxing as an ENB. So I tried to uninstall Realvision with the ENB Manager and refresh the .ini files through the skyrim launcher. Unfortunately this results in a CTD in the initial loading screen (startup and main menu work fine).

What can I do to ensure that I can cleanly uninstall the ENB and refresh the ini files and then load a save that was once dependent on it?

The files you need to remove to stop the ENB working are the ENBhost.exe and the d3d9.dll both are found in the root Skyrim folder (do NOT delete the d3d9.dll in the System folder)

There are other files left behind but they shouldn't effect the game. If you want to delete those you'll have to do it manually (look in the ENB archive file and delete all the files listed there) some ENB's such as RealVision have a VBS uninstaller, run that if you're using it.

To fix the ini files delete them from MyDocuments\Games\Skyrim and run the game from the Steam launcher it'll re-detect your hardware and recreate the missing ini files. If you have custom tweaks you'll have add them again (before I try anything that makes changes to the ini files I make backups of them (put them in a zip archive) and unzip them when I want to roll back.)

Edited by soupdragon1234

The files you need to remove to stop the ENB working are the ENBhost.exe and the d3d9.dll both are found in the root Skyrim folder (do NOT delete the d3d9.dll in the System folder)

There are other files left behind but they shouldn't effect the game. If you want to delete those you'll have to do it manually (look in the ENB archive file and delete all the files listed there) some ENB's such as RealVision have a VBS uninstaller, run that if you're using it.

To fix the ini files delete them from MyDocuments\Games\Skyrim and run the game from the Steam launcher it'll re-detect your hardware and recreate the missing ini files. If you have custom tweaks you'll have add them again (before I try anything that makes changes to the ini files I make backups of them (put them in a zip archive) and unzip them when I want to roll back.)

Thanks for your help. It turns out that the ENB remover wasn't actually removing the ENBhost.exe. I've had issues with the VBS install before so I was hesitant to use it for the uninstall, but luckily it worked out this time.

However another issue has come up. Even though I have the same texture quality settings in the ini files, the quality of many textures went significantly down compared to when I had the ENB installed (this might be because Realvision includes texture and shader files of its own). I tried increasing the settings to ultra quality (I was using high before to keep my framerate intact) but there was little noticeable difference. Is there a setting in the skyrimprefs.ini that I could look at to fix this?