Age of Empires 2

Thedragonemperor

It has been a LONG time since I played but I remember favoring the Janissary for their rifles and some healers. I would typically have a small tank-like force that had a lot of health sit in front of my riflemen...as one of them was about to die, I would move them off to the back of the line. Once I had most of my tank-like characters damaged, I used the healers (I think I used two per attack force).

I also used fast-moving units like the horses to maneuver behind the enemy to take out their long-range units and artillery. I also micromanaged them so that any that was about to die would run back to safety to get healed.

If playing against the computer, I used walls to funnel their army into a long winding death trap. That was a trick that always worked with these kinds of games.

I also remember making strong use of group assignments so I don't have to box-select anyone during a fight.

LHammonds

Step one: Get Russia. Step 2: ZERG RUSH! The Russians were in AoE2, right? Wait, I played Hessians. A fun tactic was also to take 5 trebuchets, and spread them far apart around their base. Make all 5 start bombing them, then when their forces are either lured out at one or split up to fight all 5, drive all your forces through their gates. Then pull out your fores as they head back. Replace your one lost trebuchet at most, and then repeat the process.

I often favor the Byzantines for their defensive status. I build a strong defense and while I defend my area, I attack with my forces, especially ones made of Calvary. Having a force that can move quickly is helpful when you either need to get away or get to a place where more forces are needed. Bombard cannons make a great defense when you have enough of them right next to your fortified walls. I normally don't use monks all that often, since I value speed and numbers. Does online play even work anymore? I know it uses an old system.

I used to play as Goths and get the technology allowing Huskarls to be built at your barracks. So, I'd just get a few barracks and mass them.

I remember spending a lot of time making custom maps and missions though. I think I made a 6 stage campaign with a ton of scripts and triggers... with some dialogue and 'unique' characters. Wasn't related to the history of the world at all though.

I love the Aztecs in this game just because of how they build their buildings, one of the reasons why I fell in love with this game-architecture, that and because it's a great histroy lesson while at the same time being fun. In fact this game is what got me and histroy to stick, now it's one of my core intrests, funny thing is, it took a trip from America to Portugal to find it; turns out that heritage wasn't the only thing I learned there.

When I play it now, I really like the fact that they included their own mini histories for many of the civilizations. They are informative and,to my knowledge, accurate for what was known at the time. It adds a backstory to the civilizations and gives the player some immersion that they wouldn't have otherwise.

When I play it now, I really like the fact that they included their own mini histories for many of the civilizations. They are informative and,to my knowledge, accurate for what was known at the time. It adds a backstory to the civilizations and gives the player some immersion that they wouldn't have otherwise.

I agree with you there, its a very educational game, one of the best of its kind; too bad AOE 3 didn't really expand on this, they just focused too much on industrialization of the new world and what not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2aBk86UKY

I love AoE and AoE2. AoE3 didn't got up to as high as the other 2 in my opinion.

Edit: I play only three civilizations, Persia, Celts and Japan. It was a long time ago but I had different strategies for each of them and I don't remember exactly what I had done. I miss the good old days