Oblivion crashing on startup.

shaklee1

Sorry if this has already been mentioned before, but Oblivion keeps crashing on startup. It starts to show the Bethesda logo but then crashes to the desktop saying that Oblivion has stopped working. At first I thought it had something to do with the mods I had installed, so I resorted the data files to default and ran the game, but yet the crashing persists. All I have enabled is Oblivion.esm, Knights.esp and DLCShiveringIsles.esp. If it helps, I had recently re-installed Oblivion to clean out the data folder before re-downloading the mods I wanted to keep, and this was the first time since then that I tried to play it.

experimentally delete the oblivion.ini in your game saves area

Isn't that required for Oblivion to run? Or will it automatically generate one when Oblivion is ran if there isn't an .ini file already?

Isn't that required for Oblivion to run? Or will it automatically generate one when Oblivion is ran if there isn't an .ini file already?

yes

and

yes

yes

and

yes

It worked like a charm. Thank you so much! ^_^ This has happened before but it's usually been mods that caused it and I've been able to resolve the issue.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned before, but Oblivion keeps crashing on startup. It starts to show the Bethesda logo but then crashes to the desktop saying that Oblivion has stopped working. At first I thought it had something to do with the mods I had installed, so I resorted the data files to default and ran the game, but yet the crashing persists. All I have enabled is Oblivion.esm, Knights.esp and DLCShiveringIsles.esp. If it helps, I had recently re-installed Oblivion to clean out the data folder before re-downloading the mods I wanted to keep, and this was the first time since then that I tried to play it.

Happy to see that the problem is solved ;p

However, do keep in mind that re-installing Oblivion doesn't reset your data folder unless you delete it.

Happy to see that the problem is solved ;p

However, do keep in mind that re-installing Oblivion doesn't reset your data folder unless you delete it.

I'm aware of that, thank you. :) Forgot to do it the first time and had to reinstall the game a second time after deleting the data folder, lol.

• 1 year later...