Heavy Traffic ×

CTD When Entering Helgen Keep

psionikubi

Hello people!

I'd like to pick your guys' brains about a recent problem I've encountered:

During the intro sequence of the game, upon reaching the door to Helgen Keep, my game shows the loading screen then promptly crashes to the desktop.

I've tried to load different saves that were in other areas of Skyrim and it would also CTD after trying to load.

I've never run into this problem before, and naturally, I assumed it was a mod issue. I've tried to be smart with conflicting situations caused by mods so I've learned how to clean up dirty edits with TES5Edit and have been using BOSS and LOOT when I want to make sure my load order is in good shape.

I started experiencing this problem after I installed the mods "CharGenExtension", "Enhanced Character Edit" & "RaceMenu". I had recently read that RaceMenu now includes CharGen so, after installing CharGen through NMM, uninstalling it, and then deleting it from NMM, I then installed RaceMenu. ( All the while still having ECE enabled.) There are only a few compatibility issues that RaceMenu describes when running with ECE, but none of it sounded game breaking, just non-working sliders.

I am using the most recent version of SKSE and NMM.

Here are my Specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHz

8.00GB RAM

64-bit

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Card

(Let me know if there's more you need.)

My Mods are:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
ApachiiHairMales.esm
SPIKE.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
TERAArmors.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
SexLab.esm
Devious Devices - Assets.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
daymoyl.esm
Devious Devices - Integration.esm
AdditionalMusicProject.esp
barenziahquestmarkers.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
The Dance of Death.esp
CharacterMakingExtender.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
Character Creation Overhaul.esp
CCO - Oblivion Carry Weights.esp
CCO - Dynamic Skill Progression.esp
CCO - Diverse Races And Genders.esp
TakeNotes.esp
lighterdbs.esp
NusbieVoices.esp
RaceMenu.esp
xce.esp
Differently Ebony.esp
enhanced soundtrack 01.esp
Headtracking.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
followerwander2.esp
AdditionalMusicProjectReplacer.esp
HelmetToggle2.02b.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Cold.esp
Non-HDT Female Hairstyles.esp
lush grass and trees.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
Dread Huntress Armor.esp
Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Dragonborn-EBT Patch.esp
ISCompendium Enhanced Blood Patch.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
lightweight potions and poisons.esp
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp
ISCompendium SkyRe Patch.esp
sanguinesDebauchery.esp
EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp
SexLabMatchMaker.esp
SkyUI.esp
chfshPlayerVoicesets.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
SoS - Civilization.esp
Dwemer Goggles & Scouter.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
WATER DB Waves.esp
townsandcitiesenhanced.esp
markarth_plus.esp
Cloaks.esp
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
Sven.esp
Devious Deviants.esp
islandhouse.esp
Populated Forts Towers Places.esp
smithing&clothings_variety_mod.esp
AMB Glass Variants Lore.esp
Populated Lands Roads Paths.esp
Populated Cities Towns Villages.esp
Auveren.esp
dragonsoulstoperks.esp
tavewindhelm.esp
Lost Art of the Blacksmith.esp
CCO - Permanent Birthsigns.esp
tanningsmeltingexp.esp
tavesolitude.esp
unreadbooksglow.esp
WATER.esp
whiteruninenhanced.esp
SkyRe_Races.esp
quest_sorcery.esp
riverwoodenhancedplugin.esp
whiterunexenhanced.esp
taveriften.esp
archery overhaul.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
SOS - Shop.esp
armored-horses.esp
hg.esp
WATER Plants.esp
tavefalkreath.esp
theRoadstrokersRogueSorceress.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
[mpx] npc gender race heights v2.esp
ReProccer.esp

Thanks for taking them time to look this over and I hope to get some feedback about it soon!

Any mod that includes scripting can cause problems during the Helgen sequence - The entire sequence is intended as a tutorial and intro to the game - you are NOT actually playing the game during this sequence. You cannot do anything outside of what the pre programmed sequence allows. What were you planning on dong with those mods? Kill Alduin? Kill the guards and escape some other way? Trying to do anything ( that requires a script) outside of the pre scripted sequence WILL cause a crash.

So, simple choice - play around with mods for hours trying to find the one mod that is causing your problem - only to find another problem - OR disable all mods until after you exit the cave. Cosmetic mods are usually not scripted and you can leave those in.

After exiting the cave make a permanent save before adding your mods. Then when you have tested to be sure the mods all work - make another permanent save with the mods. This is for later troubleshooting.

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I did what you suggested and disabled every mod except Skyrim.esm through NMM and was able to enter Helgen Keep, BUT NOW I'm encountering a whole new problem!

When I go to loot Gunjar's body and take his chest armor the game CTDs.

I went and used trusty Google to try and figure out what causes that, and people were suggesting that it occurs with SkyUI... but I don't understand why that would be if I've got everything disabled. My goodness!

Not really a fix, but some input on what you've done so far. You didn't need to uncheck the update.esm (you shouldn't actually), and you could have kept all of the unoffical patches. Also, why do you not have the Unnofical Dawnguard patch?

Not really a fix, but some input on what you've done so far. You didn't need to uncheck the update.esm (you shouldn't actually), and you could have kept all of the unoffical patches. Also, why do you not have the Unnofical Dawnguard patch?

I had been testing mods at the time and was wondering if it might have been that one making trouble. I have since then realized it's not the cause of any problems.

I went ahead and activated the Update.esm and all of the DLCs plus their corresponding unofficial patches just to check and see if it fixed it, it didn't, hehe. :(

What happens if you follow Hadvar ( the imperial) instead of Ralof? The part with Hadvar does not involve looting Gunjar. Did you wait until he cut your bonds before trying to loot the body?

I wouldn't run ECE and RaceMenu at the same time, period. They have a compatability patch - but some sliders still wont work. Personally, I find RaceMenu to be superior - but that's just my thoughts. As for the CTD's - try starting a barnd new game (as in, click new game at the main menu) with no mods installed (none at all) and see if you can make it to Riverwood without issue. Then (if you make it to Riverwood with no crashes) you can try installing a few mods at a time.

Rule of thumb for mods, if it ocnflicts even a little bit - don't use it. Also, read the ReadMes and the entire mod description. CTD's are pretty much always caused by conflicting mods (or heavily scripted mods). By the way, I would be very careful with the *site not allowed* mods. They require very specific installation and can be very buggy. Also, do you have a custom skeleton and FNIS? Those two things are required for those mods to work - as well as some other things depending on the mods.

XP32 Maximum Skeleton:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26800/?

FNIS (If you don't have this yet, be sure to follow the instructions very closely when istalling it):

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11811/?

Also, I suggest not using Enhanced Blood Textures and Effects, it's a cool mod - but it cotains a huge amount of scripts (or rather, they can build up in big fights) and therefore, can cause CTD's. I believe STEP actualy says not to use it, which I agree with. Speaking of STEP, if you're having problems with modding go check out STEP's Wiki. Plus, the videos by Gopher are brilliant - and should be helpful.

STEP Wiki:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Main_Page

Gopher Vids:

http://youtu.be/RxQ1JN_X-_Y?list=PLE7DlYarj-DdhDG41roBVJfNCqvO5MmKP

Edited by DaddyDirection

• 4 years later...

awsome im runing into the same problem once again sadly i got no clue what would cause it since i basicly just have some retext of 2 armor 1 weap and rest is body and cosmetic stuff for my char to be *not ugly* :huh:

*removed every mods still runing into the problem so far* i so much luv the start video huh! :ermm:

guess il reinstall the whole thing play the ahem vanilla then put back everything once i leave that cave...

-sadly i remember runing over 100 mods once doing this prologue and runing into no problem idk what is wrong with those update honestly!-

Edited by Dcybel

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I did what you suggested and disabled every mod except Skyrim.esm through NMM and was able to enter Helgen Keep, BUT NOW I'm encountering a whole new problem!

When I go to loot Gunjar's body and take his chest armor the game CTDs.

I went and used trusty Google to try and figure out what causes that, and people were suggesting that it occurs with SkyUI... but I don't understand why that would be if I've got everything disabled. My goodness!

--

its really simple cuz the mod mannager or nmm still have the mod installed into the scrip of skyrim in a way even if desable it still does an imcompatibility ugh i know ur pain!