Heavy Traffic ×

Mavortius

In Smithing, you can use bars of metal to repeatedly upgrade weapons and armor. Can a mod be made to repeatedly upgrade the enchantments on items by consuming soul gems?

If I enchant my boots with Fortify Sneaking and it gives me a 5% bonus and I later want to upgrade those same boots instead of getting new boots, I want to consume a gem with a soul of similar or greater size to upgrade the enchantment.

If this can be done, I would also like to see it applied to unique enchantments that cannot be learned but are applied to special artifacts.

That can't really be done because of the internal limitations of the enchantment crafting system. Someone would have to rebuild the entire crafting menu system (for all types of crafting, since they're entangled with one another internally) to make something like that possible. And that is very unlikely.

Could you elaborate on what those limitations are? I figure that the function of the enchantment table does not allow for it, could a different device perform the upgrade function? Smithing works in this way already; forging items and upgrading items involve separate devices.

It seems to me that the process is simple yet useful enough to be worth developing. As for the object, it could be made from something that already exists - such as one those pedestals that hold weaponized soul gems. As for the script, I think the basic process would be something along the lines of:
-Select an enchanted weapon or piece of armor or jewelry.
-Select a soul gem containing a soul such that it would enhance the existing enchantment.

-Confirm the upgrade.

-The enchantment is reapplied according to the soul gem size and the player's enchantment level. This would enhance the magnitude and, in the case of weapons, the number of uses.

-The player earns enchantment experience for successfully upgrading the item.

I think that this mod would prove especially useful for enhancing unique items that cannot be forged by the player. I find it annoying how some unique weapons lose their charge rather quickly and applying a Grand soul gem would allow for many more uses before recharging.