CTD on save!

DreadedKat

I played Skyrim all day today and then i wanted to remove a mod and add a new one so I did but when it loaded up and I tried to save it crashed it crashes when I quicksave and pause menu save! I read that going to an old save and killing yourself them going to your newer save will work but since my pause menu save will CTD too I can't

Drat, wish I had read this before you wiped everything. You probably just had to clean your saves.

Cleaning A Save FIle:

1) Save game script cleaner

2) SKYRIM Save Cleaner

When you install/uninstall mods while mid-game, they sometimes leave certain edits, scripts, and other leftovers inside your save file, which in turn can cause bloating, CTD, etc. So whenever you do anything mid-game, you need to at the very least clean the scripts from your save and if you want to be super thorough, you'll want to do a full cleaning.

I know some players will keep a test character just for trying out mods. Then, their main characters don't wind up with issues from installing a mod, trying it out, and then deciding you don't want to keep it. I tend to live dangerously and will install a mod to try it out with a character I'm currently playing. I will, however, offer another tip for the future.

Please indulge me in the following Great Wall of Text. :)

I've found that verifying your game cache through Steam will often fix all kinds of strangeness, and this is my go-to tip when people start talking about game issues. If you don't know how to do this, here's a step-by-step. Open Steam in online mode. Go to Library and hover over the game you want to fix. Right click and choose Properties. Then, choose the third tab from the left, which I think is Local Files. Go to the bottom button, which is "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" or something similar. Click and let run. It will take a while, so go make a sandwich or something. If you get an error, then all you need to do is close Steam and start your game from the game launcher. Do NOT start it with SKSE (if you use it), as the game needs to rebuild the Skyrim.ini file. Let it detect your video hardware, then you can close the launcher and launch as usual with SKSE. This process will not change your SkyrimPrefs.ini file, so all your ENB settings and so on are safe. If you've made changes to your Skyrim.ini file, then just keep a copy somewhere safe and paste it back in if you need it.

• 1 year later...

Quicksave CTD is only from Heavy loaded game,not from mods and then game dont save correctly.You need set uGrids to 5 (Skyrim.ini).

Example:

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
uGridsToLoad=5
uExterior Cell Buffer=36
bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0
iPreloadSizeLimit= 4194304000
bUseHardDriveCache=0
bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1
bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1
uStaticNeverFade=1
iPostProcessMillisecondsLoadingQueuedPriority=5
bForceFullLOD=1
Edited by ayhanayhan1

Quicksave CTD is only from Heavy loaded game,not from mods and then game dont save correctly.You need set uGrids to 5 (Skyrim.ini).

Example:

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
uGridsToLoad=5
uExterior Cell Buffer=36
bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0
iPreloadSizeLimit= 4194304000
bUseHardDriveCache=0
bUseBackgroundFileLoader=1
bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1
uStaticNeverFade=1
iPostProcessMillisecondsLoadingQueuedPriority=5