Legion Aren't Hostile Despite 'Vilified' Reputation

aurum42

Hi everyone, I'm experiencing an unusual issue, and I'm having trouble pinpointing the cause or finding a solution.

I recently played through Nipton as part of the main quest, and killed Vulpes Inculta and his soldiers after speaking to him and selecting the 'Your crimes are unforgivable' dialogue option. My reputation naturally fell to 'Vilified' as a result, but all Legion troops I've since encountered on the way to Novac have been friendly and appear green on my compass, only turning hostile and attacking me if I attack them or nearby allies first. The only exception has been the one Legion hit squad I've encountered, which ran up to me, told me I was marked for death, and attacked me as they should.

I was crouched and hidden when I opened fire on Vulpes' group, but I don't think that should be the issue since they returned fire, and my reputation updated normally. I'm not wearing any faction armour, and haven't yet been to the New Vegas Strip to receive the Mark of Caesar.

After a Google search, it appears that others have experienced the same problem, though I haven't found any explanation or fix:

http://www.gamesas.com/vilified-with-the-legion-but-they-aren-hostile-t343681.html

http://www.gamesas.com/vilified-legion-zero-hostility-t68937.html

http://steamcommunity.com/app/22380/discussions/0/540734792275313560/

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Non-hostile_NCR_and_Caesar%27s_Legion_even_though_I%27m_vilified

Here is my load order:

[X] FalloutNV.esm
[X] DeadMoney.esm
[X] HonestHearts.esm
[X] OldWorldBlues.esm
[X] LonesomeRoad.esm
[X] GunRunnersArsenal.esm
[X] ClassicPack.esm
[X] MercenaryPack.esm
[X] TribalPack.esm
[X] CaravanPack.esm
[X] FreesideOpen.esm
[X] NPC Project.esm
[X] NVStripOpen.esm
[X] Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
[X] Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm
[X] SRDG.esm
[X] TWO BEARS HIGHFIVING.esp
[X] Wasteland Explorer.esp
[X] bald.esp
[X] FO3 Face Presets.esp
[X] LegendPresets (No Items).esp
[X] Hanlon the badass 4.esp
[X] NCR Dogs redone.esp
[X] ReElijahfied.esp
[X] Vulpes Inculta.esp
[X] Better Burned Man.esp
[X] Riot Gear Neck Cover.esp
[X] NCR Ranger Helmet Neck Cover.esp
[X] OWBFullHazmat.esp
[X] NeutralPowerArmor.esp
[X] FNV-BeardEyebrowFixV1_0.esp
[X] BrotherhoodArmorDistributionFix.esp
[X] Ranger Hat Plus Perception.esp
[X] uylssesbarksfix.esp
[X] lexx-hh-letter-english.esp
[X] The Gourmand Revived.esp
[X] Sierra Madre Martini Fix Tin Can & Whiskey bottle version.esp
[X] Followers Ready To Fight.esp
[X] TmT - Open Broken Doors1.01.esp
[X] FreesideOpenPatch.esp
[X] Bitter Springs Revisited.esp
[X] AWSW.esp
[X] brahmin-variant.esp
[X] GRARG.esp
[X] jsawyer.esp
[X] PMT - Slower Backward Movement.esp
[X] PMT - Destructible Ordnance.esp
[X] PMT - QuieterVats.esp
[X] PMT - Faint Heartbeat.esp
[X] PMT - Responsive Kill Reactions.esp
[X] PMT - OWB - Sonic Emitter Robot Damage Fix.esp
[X] BluesRadioNV.esp
[X] CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
[X] R.A.C.E. Station.esp
[X] athornysituation.esp
[X] outsidebets.esp
[X] outsidebets - MeyersFix.esp
[X] StripOpenMain.esp
[X] ManualReload.esp
[X] ManualReload-OldWorldBlues.esp
[X] RHKCompanionCure.esp
[X] dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
[X] dD-Smaller Wounds.esp
[X] dD-Reduced Ragdoll Force.esp
[X] dD-No Screen Blood.esp
[X] dD-Smaller Spatters Realistic.esp
[X] Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
[X] MusicRecovery.esp
[X] FSOmusic.esp
[X] NVDLC04 Allegiance w Duster.esp
[X] Fellout.esp
[X] Fellout-OWB.esp
[X] friendofnightforfellout.esp
[X] Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
[X] ILO - GS Shack (AuruM Edit).esp
[X] OWB-Path Lights.esp
[X] Merged 2.esp

Edited by aurum42

• 1 month later...

Bumping in the hope that someone will be able to help me out with this issue. I've invested a fair amount of time into this playthrough and have been enjoying it, but I imagine much of the game will be awfully anticlimactic if the Legion consistently ignore me until I shoot first.

A little more information: 'Vulpes Inculta.esp' is the mod 'Vulpes Inculta Redesigned' by Cakepen, which changes his facial appearance but doesn't appear to edit anything else - I've opened it in FNVEdit and checked what records it alters, and haven't seen anything unusual, though I could be missing something.

I've tried disabling all mods except 'LegendPresets (No Items).esp', 'FNV-BeardEyebrowFixV1_0.esp', and 'JSawyer.esp', but even after killing those at Nelson this doesn't seem to make other legionaries attack on sight as I imagine they should. If this is an issue caused by one of the many mods I disabled, doing so doesn't seem to have corrected it.

Edited by aurum42

I searched the web myself a bit, for a fix of some kind.. but alas there's still no such thing..
Same problem as a lot of people encounter; I'm vilified by legion, Im idolized by NCR, just finished the "Restore hope" quest
But no legionair seems to care that i killed all of there companions...

Isn't there a kind of behaviour fix? because i had a similar problem with the IWS mod, so i deleted that..

**EDIT**
Found some kind of solution, atleast for PC
I tried it with console commands, and now all the legion hates me again (yay)

filled these two to fix it.

Setenemy 0001b2a4 000ee68a 0 0 (This sets the players faction an enemy of Legion faction)
Setreputation 000f43dd 0 80 (This sets your reputation with Legion -80 wich makes you hated, did this instead of -100 because im not sure if it will be stable.)

So after typing these two in the console the game acted normal again (exept for the bramin killing nightkin in Novac, but not sure if this was the cause or just because i was in Novac at the moment, maybe not even related)

Edited by Misorian

The console commands fixed the problem for me, thanks! I haven't encountered the Novac nightkin yet, but I was in Novac when I entered the commands too, so I'll see whether he acts normally after this.