Anyone ever complete Skyrim on PC?

Fatumetfatis

So... I am about to just give up on this game entirely.. which sucks because it's been one of my favorites despite the fact I have never been able to finish it in any sense. I get through a main story line or two and then things start screwing up... game ctd's constantly, as in with each step, even loading back to an older file doesn't seem to stop this after I reach a point. Some quests/lines are unplayable because they are so buggy....

I have tried at least 10 times over the years and the furthest I had gotten was maybe 50% of the way? Hard to say really... but had done the TG (never Nightingale because I always would ctd in the dwemmer ruins no matter what) and DB and half of the companions before quest bug prevented further progress. I have yet to even get around to the Dragonborn content after years of having it....

I think it's pretty terrible they put out this game in this state, and yes I know I'm bitching about a game that's what... 5 years old now? Still... I didn't play it all that much till recently. Now I work less hours (and higher pay) I have time for this kind of stuff... and this is what I get :sad:

Yes I do use mods, but not always. My first few attempts were without any mods, I had not even known about them till I re-started my Skyrim addiction just recently. I have also uninstalled it, deleted all the folders, saves etc... started from new and all that crap, still get the same results over and over. I have even played on two computers to the same result!

I would just like to finish the game, or at least the main story lines for once.... How does Bethesda get off with a half assed game? I mean.... any other industry they would be in some serious trouble... but nope, no quality control for gamers, we are a lesser race I guess.

Edited by Fatumetfatis

I finished the game without any mods and zero crashes. Then I finished the game with a couple of mods and occasional crashes. Then I finished the game with a lot of mods and a lot of crashes. Then I got a lot of experience from that and now I hardly ever crash, currently I'm on my third mostly crashless playthrough.

If the vanilla game is crashing on you that much, it's most likely a problem on your end.

Edited by Valkasha

Pretty much what Valkasha said. I suggest more careful research so you can understand what's giving you grief and find a solution for it.

If there was any data system in place that would tell me why it was crashing I'd fix it myself. Sadly I am not psycic now a computer programmer. I have no way of finding out wth is going on with the game....what am I supposed to do, go down to a computer shop and play till it starts crashing?

Here is some general advice based on my 600+ hours in the game (and yes, I have finished the game on PC) and fighting through lots of issues and crashes and wonkiness. I studied like crazy and have spent 100's of hours reading and researching how to configure, modify, and improve my game experience. I recently started a fresh game and have 85+ mods installed and everything is running perfectly for me with 0 crashes or issues in over 25 hours of play. This is due to a lot of reading and studying on my part.

1] Make sure to install all of the appropriate Unofficial Patch files based on the DLC you have installed- they fix so much broken stuff.

2] Be aware that the internet is full of bad information regarding modifying your .ini files. Even "official" looking guides on respectable website have bad information on them that can cause instability over time.

3] If you are modding your game, make sure to use LOOT to get your load order setup properly.

4] When you start a new game, start it with all mods disabled (except for the unofficial patches) and don't enable them until you get outside of the caves and are on your own.

5] Always read the full description of every mod you install, and read some of the posts about the mod as well. There are unfortunately hundreds of mods out there that will break your game. The best way to see if an unfamliar mod is worth your time is to read the posts on the mod page. When you see that every other post is someone complaining about crashes after installing the mod, then you might want to steer clear of it - or do a ton of research to figure out what is going on.

6] Always be aware of incompatablities between mods. Some mods just won't work well with others. For example, on my most recent playthrough I tried to use Open Cities. My game kept crashing to desktop repeatedly until I uninstalled it. It just wasn't playing nicely with some of my other mods and I had to make a choice about what to keep.

7] Don't install too many mods (especially texture replacers) unless you know how to properly address Skyrim memory issues.

8] Make sure your SKSE is up to date.

9] NEVER disable VSync

10] Use LOOT to not only order your ESPs properly, but also read the comments and errors that it gives you about your installed mods. You can learn a lot by reading the LOOT Details page.

Running Skyrim with mods is a tricky buisness and ultimately it is your own responsibility to make sure that you aren't making bad choices. If you need help with specific issues, ask people in these forums. Do research. Never believe the first thing you read about any issue - always read multiple opinions on the matter.

Edited by mcgtron

Well i have 4300+ hrs so i can say i have most definitely completed it many times,if you have the unofficial patches installed updated PC drivers,virus free PC and good enough spec to run it,it is more than stable enough to complete.Yes you may have the odd crash but nothing that will or should stop you from completing the game.As somebody said it is usually user error and a lack of PC knowledge that is the problem,people buy a PC and think its like a console or tablet and it is NOTHING like,PC's have so many combinations of parts that you DO NEED to learn more than press a button and it starts.

Back on topic though yes the game is most definitely completable,so i would do a clean install of Skyrim update all your drivers make sure your spec is up to the job install the unofficial patches and play it.

Completed Skyrim several times, vanilla and modded. The way I do it is mostly in my sig. The STEP website has good advice on modding Skyrim.

It can be a challenge to get a lot of mods working together, but a vanilla game + DLC + Unofficial Patches + SSME should be relatively trouble-free and run on modest hardware.

If you have problems, come here, or go to STEP, and ask; a lot of people are willing to help and, admittedly, some issues with Skyrim are not obvious.