Pipboy Has Blank Screen . . . Is This Some Kind of Glitch?

Morgwynn

I went to Steam and tried verifying my game files and it said that I was missing 2 files and that they would be reacquired so a ran the scan again and it said that 1 file was missing and that it would be reacquired but I ran the scan 3 more times and it still said that 1 file is missing and that it would reacquire the missing file but it never does. So I'm thinking that the game file that is missing is what's causing my Pipboy and computer terminals, character creation machine thingy to stop working. Anyway I was wondering how I can find out what file is missing and fix it manually somehow. http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac330/Morgwynn/FalloutNV2014-09-1504-48-13-82_zps794462f3.png

Ok I got the pipboy working I just had to allow applications to make changes to my video card and that solved the blank pipboy screen and the blank computer terminals but the character creation menu doesn't show up it is still blank. I memorized the selection order Male is the first selection and female is the second selection, but the race menu, hair, hair color and facial hair selections are a complete mystery. Don't get me wrong making a mystery character can be fun some times but not every time.

• 8 months later...

I just had to allow applications to make changes to my video card

Where is the option for this?

Is it somewhere in the control pannel or is it a matter of running a program (steam/NMM) in admin mode?

Currently running win 7 HP (Because my 7 ult SSD died)

***EDIT***

I found the issue is infact with the file "inventory_menu.xml" for the missing pipboy menu, the file (for me) was completely blank and after copying the file from a working backup I was able to fix the pipboy menu issue, if you don't have a working file you can use mine here:

*URL DEAD, SEE LAST URL*

You can check the code in note pad or any other word processor by right clicking and pressing edit (which you should always do when downloading files)

the file to replace can be found in "[steam Library directory]\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Menus\main"

as for the terminal issue I'm not sure what is causing that, could be a similar issue with the file that handles terminal output, I would sugest purging the menus folder in data and validating it again, if not, a fresh install should fix the issue, that or delete all data files and revalidate

***EDIT_2***

forgot the URL was set to request permission, try the following

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8SwTzzwBI8rb0l3MVA2WTVMNDQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

Edited by nalal

• 6 years later...