Half Plate Armours

Mooseborn

I came to Skyrim as an avid D&D player, and one of the many things I thought would fit into the lore of Skyrim was Half plate armour which comprises:

• Chainmaille Hauberk (shirt)
  • Chainmaille Hose (leggings)
  • Breast plate
  • Epaulettes
  • Elbow guards
  • Gauntlets
  • Tassets (Plates around the bottom of the breast plate)
  • Greaves (Shin plates)

I've seen many nice chainmaille armours, and many nice plate armours, yet nothing in the realms of half plate (Orcish is the nearest vanilla half plate). Would this interest anyone as a project?

As a former D&D’er myself, I like your idea of half-plate armor, and agree that there are some great Skyrim mods here on the Nexus for chainmail and great mods for plate armor, but nothing really for transitional/ half-plate armor. In a Medieval fantasy setting, you'd think think that half-plate armor would be fairly common, since different armor pieces could be mixed and matched, with full plate armor being rather expensive and hard to get (something only knights of renown, nobles, and big bad bosses would wear). With the way the Skyrim armor system appears to work, with the different armor pieces taking up "slots", I suppose a modder would have to implement the pieces (torso, gauntlets, & boots) of half-plate armor as it's own armor type, rather than a set of chainmail with a plates on top.

One mod that emulates a padded or chain hauberk is the Armor Padding Kits mod by crazyjoe2k. The craftable cloth padding or chainmail tunics can be worn by the player character under armor and it counts toward their armor rating. Unfortunately, the author was not able to make the under-tunic visible beneath the top armor, so it is invisible. Another drawback is that follower NPCs ignore the under-tunic if you try to equip them with it – they apparently do not recognize it as clothing or armor.

Edited by ScottC12