Modding Skyrim with Wine (PlayOnLinux) in Linux Ubuntu

thekrimzonghost

Thanks for adding your experiences. :-)

A very helpful post. Thanks!

Has anyone been able to use ENBoost or Loot?

I haven't tried anything related to ENB; I figured that would be pushing wine a tad too hard.

As for Loot, I did try that a while back and it worked. But I prefer to set sort order manually, and then I run everything through TES5Edit. Not the best approach I guess, but I am a bit OCD when it comes to keeping things arranged in a way that makes sense to me. ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading through this, I managed to get Nexus Mod Manager 0.52.3 for Win XP and it's working fine, just don't try to login and download via NXM file. I used the installer .exe file in Playonlinux and made a shortcut to it.

So after a bit more testing, most mods work, but those that have very large single files fail and the lack of capitalization by so many packagers really sucks, so either I go through and rename MANY directories with a capital letter or install in a Windows VM. It should be a requirement to have a working shift key to package a mod. Looks like I need to do the install in a Windows VM and move the data directory over... Microsoft sure has enabled sloppy techniques, jack and Jack are different words people.

Why a VM? Run Windows Explorer from Wine/PlayOnLinux, and use that to copy.

Also, directory names don't need to all start with a capital, Windows doesn't care. But they must be consistant, that yes. So you can't have Textures and textures, for example, but you can have textures and Meshes.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Probably posted earlier but what of programs like Mod-Organizer or Skyrim Mod Combiner, how would we get these to work with Skyrim (on WINE)? Along with how can we get the DLCs to activate (and show) when booting the game - I bought them all but my WINE copy (either through steam or Skyrim standlaone don't show. Thirdly it may just be me but if I do get into Skyrim and try to use fire or healing in both hands (at the same time) there's either A: a delay or B: it doesn't do anything - if I shoot fire with only one mouse button down it works (same for healing) but I can't apprently use both at the same time.

Probably posted earlier but what of programs like Mod-Organizer or Skyrim Mod Combiner, how would we get these to work with Skyrim (on WINE)?

Personally, I can't get any mod manager to work reliably. MO crashes 2 out of 3 times, so I only use it to extract mods with optional components, such as ETaC or XPMSE. For the rest, I do mod installation manually.

Along with how can we get the DLCs to activate (and show) when booting the game - I bought them all but my WINE copy (either through steam or Skyrim standlaone don't show.

Hum, no idea what's wrong there. I have Legendary and it all works just fine.

Thirdly it may just be me but if I do get into Skyrim and try to use fire or healing in both hands (at the same time) there's either A: a delay or B: it doesn't do anything - if I shoot fire with only one mouse button down it works (same for healing) but I can't apprently use both at the same time.

Again, dunno what's wrong there. I am assuming you're using a purchased copy of the game... ?

Edited by Guest

Thanks for posting this! This is the closest I've seen (and I've been posting EVERYWHERE) to something on how to get FNIS to work for mods outside of Windows. However, I'm on a Mac. Does anyone know about these steps working on a Mac? I just downloaded VirtualBox and am downloading the Windows trial AND PlayOnMac (Mac version of PlayOnLinux).

I'm super out of my element and freeaaaaked out I'm gonna mess something up. I've been playing Skryim with mods through wineskin and Steam and working super well (with SKSE too), but there are a few mods I really want to try that require FNIS. Please help! And thanks for a great, informative post.

-Sad Mac user