race bug workaround question

grigoriprime

Just to check before I try this:

Has anyone ever tried having a quest/trigger script force an NPC to change race as a way to work around the "head/face mismatch bug" ?

I thought maybe if they're set to "can be all races" and the game sets their race AFTER loading the .esp files it may work.

I'd really prefer not to flag as (or actually convert to) an .esm over 2 fairly minor characters but I also don't want them to have Caucasian arms and African American/Asian heads as the player will see a lot of them.

If anyone's tried this please let me know.

After constructing an elaborate scheme to have a quest reset the race and a hidden object cause savegames to reset the quest variables every time they load... it turns out that matchrace doesn't actually change it in game.

I even tried having it match a different race first in case setting it to the pre defined one was blocking it. No dice.

I'm probably going to release an .esm and an .esp version (i anticipate potential conflicts with default follower topics and an .esp at the bottom of the load order would fix most of them).

Maybe an unplayable skin tone bodysuit?

To use matchrace on an NPC, you have to place another NPC of the target race in the editor somewhere, with a persistent ref. Then you matchrace your original NPC to that of the target NPC. Make sure your target race doesn't have child or older races. To prevent face morphing, the taget race should be a copy of the original NPC's race with whatever changes you make to it (usually meshes/textures/hair).

I use matchrace with my Wendy mod to change hairstyles in-game.

I don't think changing the race will help you head body mismatch anyway. It's always been either esm the plugin or sometimes 'can be all races' works.

The head race mismatch bug is most elusive bug in the game as it doesn't happen with default vanilla assets /esm only with mods. It has been suggested there is a ini setting that alleviates or fixes the issue. I'll be back in moment with the setting.

And no, you cant fix it any other way but this way. You need to add your mod / esp file to ini settings.

bLoadFaceGENHeadEGTFiles=1

This line doesn't affect vanilla stuff for some weird reason vanilla assets work but your mods don't unless you have that line in there. To be honest. I have tried it and it did not work. But I think it was because I messed up on my race random template thing. But I remember doing it one time right and I think it does help.

What it does it tells the engine to fix skins/faces and match heads with skin/body/race. Etc .

Apparently is the ONLY way to fix it.

edit:

One more thing. Some of the race related commands need to happen on a delay. I don't know exactly why but if you call for example match race and sexchange in one script one right after the other the match race may not trigger at all. You need to be like match race, wait a few ticks then sex change then wait a few ticks then it will work . The game chooses to skip certain functions that are time consuming and not that important and matchrace is one of those functions is has a success/fail rate hahaha. In my mod I have a script taht runs every time the user load and re-matches the face because I kept seeing the faces never matched doing it once so I'm doing it every single time. Take that geck!

Another command is the race menu. If you call race menu then sex menu in one block of code crash!!! wait 0.5 sec call race.wait 0.5 sec call sex menu wait 0.5 sec rest of code.

Edited by africaisstarving