Voiced Main Character

LordKinoda

Just had to come back and say something else now that we know DA 2 will have a fully voiced main character.

I think it's kind of funny that BW is now switching to a fully voiced character. Had enough of an outcry from the fans I see. The silent main character is a thing of the past. It was fine when it was done before, but it should be left there and not brought forward into future games as I've mentioned before.

Hopefully, now that the character will be fully voiced in DA 2, it will be that much easier to create a talking PC for DAO. I'm assuming they will use the same toolset right ? I don't remember reading anywhere that they were changing the engine that runs the game. So in essence, a modder should be able to "copy" what is done in DA 2 and implement it in DAO (still probably not a simple task, but it should be a little easier with a "blueprint" of sorts by looking what is done for DA 2). If not, we should definently be able to use our own voice for Hawke with a simple sound file swaps no ? All the animations will be vanilla, so hard part will be done. I'm no expert, as I've stated. I'm only postulating.

You don't seem to understand the trade-off on DA2. The voice acting comes with a cost, from what I understand DA2 will be like mass effect. the character is already defined in other words. Hawke is human and you can choose class and gender but other then that Hawks history and story is set, not even your class changes much.

Edit: To further dispute that "The silent protagonist is a thing of the past." There are many reasons why there will always be silent protagonists. Imagine the hatemail Nintendo would get if Link even uttered a word. Then as discussed before there are more people that prefer the silent PCs over acted. I also doubt we will see a voiced PC in an Elder Scrolls game. I don't think there are any mods yet that do that for Oblivion which has been out about 4 years and it would take a lot less effort to do it for Oblivion then DA:O.

• 2 weeks later...
You don't seem to understand the trade-off on DA2. The voice acting comes with a cost, from what I understand DA2 will be like mass effect. the character is already defined in other words. Hawke is human and you can choose class and gender but other then that Hawks history and story is set, not even your class changes much.

What does that have to do with anything ? I'm confused. I was postulating that the way the voice work is set up could be used as a guideline to create the same thing for DAO.

Then as discussed before there are more people that prefer the silent PCs over acted.

Apparently not for this game. They wouldn't of changed it otherwise. Maybe it still works for other games. I guess I should of said "Silent protagonists are a thing of the past [for games like these]."

I totally prefer the "silent protaganist".

The limitations that having a particular voice places on the character are enormous. So much of an individual is expressed through the voice that any other possiblities for "what they're like" are ruled out the moment they open their mouth. As long as I have to (get to) play the voice in my own head, I can imagine that it's... exactly as I imagine it. It can therefore be "me". As soon as I hear it, it becomes "that" person's, not "mine".

For me, a voiced PC diminishes, rather than enhances, the immersion.

• 2 weeks later...
I also agree with Thandal. I hope when DA2 comes out, someone makes a mod to REMOVE the voiced aspect on the PC. It's an RPG, emphasis on the RP part, and therefore I want to hear *my* voice as the PC, not someone else, even if only in my head. Granted, I'm a theater professor and actor in RL, so I like to actually speak the dialogue to the computer (yah ... it freaks my spouse out sometimes, and it may indeed be borderline insane). I hate the ME1/2 games only because of the voiced PCs. It's like Bioware wants to become a movie company, not a RPG gaming company or something.

... I hope when DA2 comes out, someone makes a mod to REMOVE the voiced aspect on the PC. .

I will DO THIS!!! If no one else does, I will make it my mission to learn how.

I'm thinking it should be as simple as mis-/re-naming the appropriate "ss" file after the PC's gender is established. But if not, I know enough about the Toolset to be dangerous and have a few "inside expert" contacts who's aid I can enlist.

THANK YOU Pitt. A kudo to you for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

My pleasure, Thandal! Thanks for the kudolations. :happy:

I just can't figure out why Bioware keeps wanting to turn Dragon Age, which as I understand it (from my admittedly limited information) is their best selling game ever, into Mass Effect. I like Mass Effect, but I like DA because in part it's *not* Mass Effect. There are some people who play computer RPGs who came from an old-school PnP RPG background, and DA fit that bill nicely. But apparently the fanbois of the WoW generation are dominating the gaming industry, and Gen X old farts like myself don't seem to be valued. It's depressing.

My pleasure, Thandal! Thanks for the kudolations. :happy:

.. There are some people who play computer RPGs who came from an old-school PnP RPG background, and DA fit that bill nicely.

Know what you mean. Check the "About Me" entry in my Profile! :laugh:

Gen X old farts like myself don't seem to be valued. It's depressing.

I disagree/remain hopeful.

a) We're more experienced. We know how/can afford to "find the stuff that works the way we want it to" and;

b) I've been in touch with some BioWare staff members working on DA2. They really DO care about what matters to (most of?) "us": THE STORY! :yes:

The voiced PC thing? We'll see how it gets implemented. Maybe there'll even be "None" as a selection option.

And if not, we'll make it so! :thumbsup: