Voiced Main Character

LordKinoda

I would imagine that the sheer cost involved in hiring a pro is why they (Bioware/EA) elected not to have the PC voiced.

It wouldn't of been nothing for them to hire 1 male, 1 female, but this is besides the point for now.

Surely the other parts can't be too difficult right ?

Don't know why people seem to gravitate on arguing over how hard voicing the mod is. That's obvious. Only focus on the other parts. Because I think that if they're completed, enough people would make the time to get the voices done.

Dude, I was originally going to revoice Bann Teagan and let me tell you, it is massive work....

As long as I have to (get to) play the voice in my own head, I can imagine that it's... exactly as I imagine it. It can therefore be "me". As soon as I hear it, it becomes "that" person's, not "mine".

I agree with you Thandal, bad enough we have to give them one of the voices we have. It really became apparent when I started playing as the kid; even an elven voice seems too low pitched.

Wow. Both of you have missed the entire point to this thread and the reason I created it. I want somebody to bang out the technical aspects of adding a voiced main character so that I can insert MY OWN voice for the character. The same could be done for anybody else. Just insert your own audio files. This way you WOULD be hearing yourself, just audibly and not in your own head. How is THAT not preferable to a silent protagonist ? Answer: It's not.

Wow. Both of you have missed the entire point to this thread and the reason I created it. I want somebody to bang out the technical aspects of adding a voiced main character so that I can insert MY OWN voice for the character...

Well, You are correct in that I, at least, missed your main point of the thread. (That's what I get for presuming based on the Title. :laugh:)

Now that I've gone back and re-read it, I do see what you're preposing, but still disagree with the conclusion. I'm NOT an actor. I could NEVER actually record myself (or, probably) anyone else voicing the lines in a manner that would please me. I can HEAR (in my head) what they sound like (to me) when I'm playing one character or another that I've created. Dwarves don't sound like elves. Men don't sound like women. Good Witches don't sound like Bad Witches. But I couldn't make any of them sound "right" anywhere but in my own mind, where I get to make ALL of them sound "right".

This way you WOULD be hearing yourself, just audibly and not in your own head. How is THAT not preferable to a silent protagonist ? Answer: It's not.

Answer: For me, and others who feel the way I do, it would be terrible. ANY "real" voice makes any OTHER voice "wrong". For us, a real voice removes far more than it adds.

On the other hand, chacun à son goût. You are welcome to request/work on this as a mod, and we shouldn't have hijacked your thread to rant about how we don't like the idea in the first place. It was just all the assertions early in your post that a voiced protagonist was categorically "better". Sorry! :sad:

I fiddled around a bit with the toolset, but it seems that the PC's conversation lines are a bit different from NPC ones, they do not permit adding cinematics/voice, someone more intelligent might be able to invent a workaround, but my only ispiration would be making new versions of all the conversations, manipulating the listener/speaker roles. But if someone figures out the method, at least I can put some time into re-working the conversations

Hm, my voice in the game would be a little weird. I think for me personally, the lines I would use are not those that your main character uses.

I would also probably have a lot of "um's" and "uh's" in my audio file lol. Especially when the NPCs want you to make a decision.

Dude, I was originally going to revoice Bann Teagan and let me tell you, it is massive work....

Work I'd be more than willing to put in. Buy a microphone, and maybe some type of audio manipulator software or something. Then record. Would probably take a few weeks to get really good takes for all the lines, but I could bang it out for the reward.

. I'm NOT an actor. I could NEVER actually record myself (or, probably) anyone else voicing the lines in a manner that would please me.

Can't say I'm an actor in the true sense of the word either, but I'm way more than confidant that I could do well enough that I'd love every minute of it. Others may or may not, but I would.

Dwarves don't sound like elves. Men don't sound like women. Good Witches don't sound like Bad Witches. But I couldn't make any of them sound "right" anywhere but in my own mind, where I get to make ALL of them sound "right".

And for that comes the beauty of this site. Others will do voices that you DO like. I think if this mod were created there would be plenty to choose from. You would eventually find one that you can at least live with. And if not, keep the mute of course.

It was just all the assertions early in your post that a voiced protagonist was categorically "better"

Well I am the one who created the thread afterall. Assume everything that comes out of my mouth (or text here) to be my opinion unless stated otherwise ;)

I don't always preface everything I say with "IMO" or "This is only me but..." but I thought it was sort of implied. Seems this has happened at least a few others times on this board and others. Maybe I don't explain myself and my ideas in the correct fashion for it to come across that way, heh. Ah well. I'll try my best to fix that. Until then :)

Hm, my voice in the game would be a little weird. I think for me personally, the lines I would use are not those that your main character uses.

I would also probably have a lot of "um's" and "uh's" in my audio file lol. Especially when the NPCs want you to make a decision.

Heh, not really much that can be done about that. Unless you rewrite the dialog that is used to mean the same thing with different words. I suppose that's possible. The meaning couldn't change though, for obvious reasons.

I fiddled around a bit with the toolset, but it seems that the PC's conversation lines are a bit different from NPC ones, they do not permit adding cinematics/voice, someone more intelligent might be able to invent a workaround, but my only ispiration would be making new versions of all the conversations, manipulating the listener/speaker roles. But if someone figures out the method, at least I can put some time into re-working the conversations

Go back to the beginning of this thread and take a gander at the video I linked. ALL of those are custom characters and lines using the Dragon Age toolset. It's entirely possible. If only the guys behind that machinima were willing to put together this mod. I've no doubt they could pull it off. There's a whole team of them.