Abbreviations! AAARRRGGGHH!

Deseoso

I have to assume that an awful lot of the people that use the Nexus are Americans. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Americans, I grew up in Texas. What is winding me up extremely is the constant overuse of abbreviations when describing how to use or install mods. Especially when there doesn't seem to be anywhere to get a clarification.

I wanted to try out Project ENB but I am really put off now. I downloaded the files but there is a folder inside called Performance Options. Inside that there are another bunch of folders each with a different enbseries.ini files but of course nowhere has the mod author put an explanation of what the different options are.

Each folder is named according to whether or not the ini file includes SSAO, SSIL or DOF. Great, wonderful, super. What the hell are SSAO, SSIL or DOF?

I would like to know but I'm finding this all over the nexus. I have skipped over at least 50 mods that I would have downloaded if they had not also required something that is abbreviated but in which there is no explanation of what the hell the abbreviation stands for. Luckily I have a full head of hair because I'm pulling it out going through the installation descriptions on some of these mods. Please mod authors, just because you spend hundreds of hours creating these mods, don't assume we all have the same gamer vocabulary as you. Clarify things when you give instructions!!

GOOGLE is your friend.

The definination of these and other abbreviations can be found using the abbreviation as the search phrase. It took me less time to find the answer than it did to read your post, or type this reply.

Also, SSAO, SSIL and DOF are not restricted to the gamer community.

Edited by M48A5

Okay, so my frustration caused me to forget Google. However, I only found SSAO and DOF. What is SSIL? I'm assuming that the creator of Project ENB does not require me to have my Step Sister In Law next to me to use his software.

Agree, sometimes people do go overboard with abreviations and assume that everybody knows something obscure.

This may help - I made it a few years ago and really haven't kept it up.

Bben's Geek to English dictionary. http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/3396037/1/?x=0#post281385

• 8 months later...