[WIP] Skyrim: Race Matters

griefmyst

You need to add some challenges to being a Nord. For instance, Khajit merchants won't deal with you.

I have to say, this doesn't make much sense. "We're coming to Skyrim to peddle our wares! But we refuse to trade with the majority of its population!"

Non-Nord merchants charging Nords more has the same issue. If we decide that Skyrim is indeed quite a chauvinist place, it would make sense that any non-Nord who would try to discriminate against the majority ethnicity would be identified and punished quite quickly (although I can see the Grey Quarter Dunmer doing this, since they already form a separate community anyway, but not people like Nurelion/Quintius or Bothela). Not to mention that most non-blacksmith merchants are not Nords, so this proposal would make the effect of making Nord players feel discriminated in their own land.

You need to add some challenges to being a Nord. For instance, Khajit merchants won't deal with you.

I have to say, this doesn't make much sense. "We're coming to Skyrim to peddle our wares! But we refuse to trade with the majority of its population!"

Non-Nord merchants charging Nords more has the same issue. If we decide that Skyrim is indeed quite a chauvinist place, it would make sense that any non-Nord who would try to discriminate against the majority ethnicity would be identified and punished quite quickly (although I can see the Grey Quarter Dunmer doing this, since they already form a separate community anyway, but not people like Nurelion/Quintius or Bothela). Not to mention that most non-blacksmith merchants are not Nords, so this proposal would make the effect of making Nord players feel discriminated in their own land.

I have no idea where you are getting this idea from.

• Nord cities and merchants provide better discounts, freebie items

Maybe you're misunderstanding something.

Edited by griefmyst

I think you raise some reasonable points. The overall feeling is playing a nord shouldn't be easier because you are a Nord because the other races are going to do things that give themselves an advantage. All in-groups do this. Many Gangs in America formed principally in order to defend themselves as a vulnerable minority. Some advantages should exist for "outsiders" interacting and doing business with other outsiders.

Maybe there is a hidden stash of items they only trade with people they trust or a race they feel comfortable with, acknowledging that Nord disrespect would likely lead to Nords outright robbing a Khajit if they know the goods these outsiders carry were really really good. Khajits are in a great position to access unique and important items because they have connections beyond Skyrim and are mobile, giving them the most access to a large variety of goods (for Khajit Merchants anyway). I'm thinking off the top of my head, but the general idea is what I would like to communicate.

Edited by RuubixObsidian

I wasn't referring to your ideas, but to the suggestion that Khajiit merchants refuse to trade with Nords and other non-Nord vendors charge higher prices from them.

This goes back to your initial objection, that refusing trade in a country that already doesnt want you there defeats the purpose of them doing business with anybody. Deny access to certain special, high value, or unique items would be a more immersive compromise.

Another thought is that some of the merchants could be more involved in the black market and given both race and "trade" (thief, magician, warrior) could also provide more hidden benefits outside of speech skills.

Yep yep :) I've got that covered... it's not too in depth at this point, but basically it would open up the ability for certain members of your own race/faction to "hold on" to certain items for you, provide some free items randomly, or items that are more relevant to helping you get by. They would also be a source of helping disguise you as you make your way around areas that you're supposed to be barred/banned from.

Another thought is that some of the merchants could be more involved in the black market and given both race and "trade" (thief, magician, warrior) could also provide more hidden benefits outside of speech skills.

Yep yep :smile: I've got that covered... it's not too in depth at this point, but basically it would open up the ability for certain members of your own race/faction to "hold on" to certain items for you, provide some free items randomly, or items that are more relevant to helping you get by. They would also be a source of helping disguise you as you make your way around areas that you're supposed to be barred/banned from.

Count me in for Alpha testing this sounds awesome.