Your pile of shame

XanAlderon

Some games, through loss of interest or simply a massive difficulty level, never get finished.

I'm the worst in this regard, somehow I've never managed to finish a single Zelda game and, unless any other game is really, really good I've never finished it.

So, what games have you never finished?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. Sad as I am to admit it, Oblivion. I never could reach all the quests, and I frankly suck at games. So I just used the CS to examine all the quests in detail. Also: Dawn of War 2, Age of Empires III, The original Spyro, because the sequels were out before I finished, I couldn't get past the Temple of the Winds in Link to the Past, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles got boring after the hundredth world..

I have a very tall pile of shame indeed.

Its because Im very competitive, I hate losing, am overconfident in my abilities and require very little provocation to dislike something.

The former top was Race Driver two, ancestor of Race Driver: Grid by codemasters, I got this as an early teen and lacked the driving skills to finish it, but several years, a driver's licence and several online "fastest time in the world on _____ circuit records" ;ater I finished it one satisfying weekend, and popped my indi car cherry at the same time.

As for games I really NEVER finished or got rid of without finishing.

Prey: it got boring, tedious gunplay with limp controls eventualy got too much to bear, and the storyline? what storyline?

Red Faction: guerrilla: dull gaemplay, ridiculously easy dificulty, aweful plot and setting, poor safehouse design (you cant save vehicles/weapons for example) and ps2 esque graphics meant I ditched this at the midway point.

and the worst of all? its gotta be this:

Just Cause 2: Absolute failure, a woeful console port to PC and a horrid price hike were just the beginings of its troubles. Even on a pc thats twice what the game needs, its framerate undergoes a freakish "pulse" of slow down and speed up, invisible on the ground, but in an aircraft its not hard to spot. The controls were the worst Ive seen in a very long time, even when adjusted they felt numb and unresponsive, the world was a fraction the size of JC1, and after you conquer a province, nothing in the province changes, no new travel routes, no vendor unlocks, no new vehicles/kit spawns, it stays the very same, and infact all enemy bases in that area stay full of endlessly respawning troops. Lastly the dificulty was hopelessly unbalanced, the Machine Gun was capable of killing anything, regardless of range, shredding even an armoured vehicle in a clip or two, but worse, the enemy was hopeless too, they went from unaware to full war mode instantly, with even small infractions such as hitting a police car in traffic causing MASSIVE military response, with attack helicopters and occasionaly APCs converging on you in seconds. But that was no problem because the only useful weapon, the machine gun, could kill an APC, helicopter or SWaT team member in about 3 hits.

and the worst of all? its gotta be this:

Just Cause 2: Absolute failure, a woeful console port to PC and a horrid price hike were just the beginings of its troubles. Even on a pc thats twice what the game needs, its framerate undergoes a freakish "pulse" of slow down and speed up, invisible on the ground, but in an aircraft its not hard to spot. The controls were the worst Ive seen in a very long time, even when adjusted they felt numb and unresponsive, the world was a fraction the size of JC1, and after you conquer a province, nothing in the province changes, no new travel routes, no vendor unlocks, no new vehicles/kit spawns, it stays the very same, and infact all enemy bases in that area stay full of endlessly respawning troops. Lastly the dificulty was hopelessly unbalanced, the Machine Gun was capable of killing anything, regardless of range, shredding even an armoured vehicle in a clip or two, but worse, the enemy was hopeless too, they went from unaware to full war mode instantly, with even small infractions such as hitting a police car in traffic causing MASSIVE military response, with attack helicopters and occasionaly APCs converging on you in seconds. But that was no problem because the only useful weapon, the machine gun, could kill an APC, helicopter or SWaT team member in about 3 hits.

Oh, that's completely different to what I've heard.

I heard that if you completely forsake any sort of grasp on the nature of physics or what its possible to do with a hook-shot, and treat the game like it is, simply a game; then it's quite fun to run around in.

Although I must admit, I've never played it and this was a review of the console version.

Australian pc/console gaming tv show GoodGame gave it a very high review, but that was the xbox 360 version.

The pc version has the very worst port of control I've ever seen, the movement controls are laughably unresponsive and heavy, the weapon controls seemingly select a random gun when scolled, and the button for dual wielding is a big stretch of finger for most. If, like me, you're 6 foot 6inches and have hands the size of grizzly bear paws, then its even worse, because my mighty mits got turned inside out with the horrific and mandatory typing game that comes up whenever you try and either steal a car, open any locked door, or finish 90% of mission objectives. But what also left me mightily cross was the fact the bastages were releasing microtransaction dlc within under a week of release,

Thats just offensive. Thats selling half a game full price, and then demanding player's buy the rest aswell. Im sure a lot of people willl claim a few dollars is not much to pay for some more content, but the point stands: why should we have to pay a de facto subscription fee for a truly terrible FPS that takes barely an hour to finish and has no replay value?

Actually the Good Game review was the basis I made my post on, they portrayed it as a jolly old romp through a large tropical island with plenty to see and do.

Then again, open-world games are kind of hard to finish, since they're not so linear and you can get lost. They also usually have several times the content of linear games, so it takes a very long time to finish them.

And that wasn't half a game, compared to one I played recently.. Modern Warfare Reflex for the Wii: I thought when I saw it, "Yes, I can finally have an awesome game that doesn't involve kittens or cooking in any way!" I never finished it because the developers never finished it! Bloody 6 hour campaign, and no online play even though the Wii supports it..

Thats why I bought the little wretch

I buy on pc because pc has better controls for shooters, and my pc, a brawny gaming rig, has twice the power of my xbox, but all that potential was squandered. I had to run on low settings to avoid the wierd slow-slower-slowest-fast-faster-fasted-slow-slower, ect repeated waves of lag, and the controls, which are the worst I've ever seen

Sure, my hands are like a Space Marine's and my keyboard isnt little either, but you should really be able to do better than this.

As for the romp factor, JC1 WAS a romp. NFS: hot pursuit was a romp, saint's row was a romp. This is not a romp. All told the campaign which has to be completed to unlock equipment and savepoints is about 2 hours long. maybe 3. Its broken up by stages of grinding for cash for about 3 hours between each mission by finishing mandatory and tedious factional boar tusk collecting.

When the final mission crops up, which it does suddenly because you're barely past the tutorial when it does, you have to "choose your allies" this has no consequence on gameplay, this just chooses the voice over to play in the final cutscene. Despite it being presented as being the choice of who would sieze power. In JC1, finish the main story and you'd be rewarded with the entire province becoming lawless, meaning you could cause whatever mayhem you wanted, with no police response. Here, finishing the game changes nothing, it simply brands "mercenary mode, completion 33.52%" across the screen in gargantuan letters every time the game loads, changes cell, or if you do anything to effect the game world, such as destroying a red barrel or entering a vehicle you havent driven before.

The island is still absolutely teeming with overpowered or over-easy enemy grunts, if you so much as sneeze near one of them, all out war with airstrikes chopper and LAVs pouring in like snow until you can break LOS, which is unreliable as the grunts are seemingly powerful psychics. the romp factor is massively hindered further by the fact that every explosion you cause is permanent. The game is just too damn serious, blow up a fuel tank, and it will never respawn, only guards and vehicles respawn, so you've got to think twice before lighting anything off.

The island itself is a dull and unrealistic blob of stereotypes, its got a jungle island, a river delta, a desert island, a "secret island" that you cant escape except with a 3 hour swim, and a large unrealistic city. Overall its a dull place, I for one felt absolutely no wish to liberate its repulsive populace from torment and the romp/replay/rampage value is nonexistant. Unless ofcourse you like scouring an island for radio towers, shooting said towers, and then watching those towers slowly despawn without even toppling over or exploding.

Its also not a game for feminists or those offended by racial stereotypes. All the enemies are non-whites, all the allies are american. The native places are named in a midly offensive mix of balinese, burman and malaysian, the local populace are portrayed as technologicaly unsophisticated barbarians who thrive on selling off their natural heritage, the militaries simply being factions who disagree with the president on various things and see violence as the natural way to oppose him, with a theme of "just ignore the natives, aint there fault they're asian".

The women are even worse, represented by a large breasted nonpersona who only appears once, as your boss, then almost instantly replaced by an equaly stereotypical texan man, the only other female characters are a prostitute (a lot of the games humor is angel/girlfriend jokes) and she is by far the most charismatic, the other 3 are mindless flirts, seemignly existing only to provide buttocks and boobs to stare at. Say what you will about standards, this alone made me hate JC2. but all this together? pathetic.

As for you uberman, I sympathise. I never touched the wii or even considered buying one, but Im yet to see a game that grabbed my attention in all its time on the market. It itself looks horrible. but the thought of a COD game with no online multiplayer is essentialy water flavoured chocolate.

The only reason COD mw2 was anything more than a stinking lump of badly made code was its OK multiplayer, with that removed, the result would be truly abysmal.

I always have a saying, if i can't beat it, its not worth buying. Pretty much every game i own i have at least finished once. except for some of dlc. and downloadable content. I'm very dedicated sometimes. For instants r&c i platinumed that game and then some.

There is one or two games though that i have never finished, the Gran Turismo series for ps2 and Eternal Darkness for the GC o_O To spooky for me..

even though i did finish Silent hill 4 though

The only reason COD mw2 was anything more than a stinking lump of badly made code was its OK multiplayer, with that removed, the result would be truly abysmal.

Your arguments on the incredible faults of JC2 seem valid to me and I can understand why you would detest it so...except that I did thoroughly enjoy MW2 even though my Playstation has no access to the internet.

My mind is now filled with doubt, and I think that maybe we simply enjoy different sorts of games...