Your pile of shame

XanAlderon

Some more for me are: W.A.R.

Im a massive warhammer fanboy, a right and proper nob.

And this game put me into all out nerdrage mode the moment I picked it up. EA did the very worst wow knockoff I've ever seen in WAR. Ive only limited experience of warhammer fantasy setting's universe, but even then this had little to do with it. It just felt like EA wanted to have a shot at blizard and butchered warhammer to make that shot. It wasnt even a good clone, the graphics were abysmal, and while it had all the imagination and flare of warhammer, dodgy animations, a complete lack of community organisation, and graphics even worse than wow's made this an unmitigated disaster.

Also, Empire: total war. More like total lack of entertainment value. Ive been a fan of the older total war games for a good long time, and Im always willing to forgive new nerfs and changes, but this just pushed me too far. The technology system just. doesnt. work. The combat is mind shatteringly boring, as you just form a line and then watch for an hour as the little dude fire muskets at eachother, and miss, again, and again, for years. But worst of all is the online play. The learning curve here is truly monumental, even for a pro at all the previous total wars. And it makes a lot of the online matches I saw so tedious and so pathetic I simply got rid of the game after two weeks. Because I rarely went up against someone who even knew how to work the controls, its one thing to fight a newb, but sitting at a locked screen for half an hour while a retarded ten year old tries to figure out what the buttons do is just too much for me to take.

lastly, Halo: odst. another I didnt even bother keeping, ODST had the second shortest campaign I've ever seen, longer onlty than just cause 2, and well shorter than most dlc missions, It also ruined all the two things halo did right, had some of the worst characters Ive ever seen, and a storlyine that just made me laugh in disgust. I didnt even bother with the multiplayer, as its a frickin halo 3 multiplayer, and I wouldnt touch one of those with a hundred-metre stick.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, now I KNOW we have different tastes in games, I played total war heaps and for some reason never got tired of the little men and their repetitive firing. The only downside, for me is some occasionally very stupid A.I and occasional crashes.

I've never finished the campaign though, as much as I like the game it does get tedious after a while when the same country sends the same lot of troops to the same base for the umpteenth time. :dry:

I very rarely finish games, if I finish a game then it's either very short or one of those rare gems that grabs you and keeps you playing. A lot of the time repetition, poor balancing or some idiotic feature puts me off. Also I play games for fun, if I'm not having fun then I'm not interested, shame a lot of developers forget the fun part in their rush to "challenge" the player.

A word on Just Cause 2, I have it on the PC and it runs fine, maybe I'm lucky. The controls however are awful, I had to use a 360 pad to make it playable.

I typicaly finish everything.

If I dont finish it its typicaly because it couldnt hold even my interest, or I lost faith in the developer, or I simply didnt enjoy it enough to consider it worth finishing.

Another example is mass effect. People rave endlessly about its virtues, they say its a paradise. I played mass effect and I saw potential. but it felt rushed, my class was an unbalanced tacked on extra to apease the fans and the characters couldnt have been morer bland if they'd tried. Expressionless faces, extremely limited facial customisation, only 3 outfit skins, all of which were horrible and terrible, terrible numb emotionless voice acting.

It felt like all the imagination went into world design, which is done very well indeed, leaving nothing for classes and people. Unless you like bondage or latex, and I sure as hell dont, then the outfits will make you wince at best and be too ashamed to go out in public at worst, characters have deformed, inhuman faces that portray no emotion, their voice acting doesnt help either because everything said is said in a flat monotone, Even the dialogue is bland. I have no tolerancer for idiots and normaly play dark characters. I also like to be able to make rapid decisions, especialy if Im in command.

But mass effect didnt let me make snap decisions, what few choices I could make occured glacialy slowly and only had effect late campaign if at all. I judge RPGs very very harshly, I admit that freely, because its a very hardocre genre and you have to do it well. Mass Effect for all bioware's arrogance, for all its fans, for all its rave reviews and hype, didnt come up to par for me. The combat alone shatters its rating. I didnt finish it the first time round-I just got so sick of it, all of it and its one of very few games ever to have done that to me. Certainly the only big name on my pile.

Hmmm.....

Pretty sure I'm going to be burned at the stake for some of these, but here goes:

Morrowind

Baldurs Gate 2

Splinter Cell (Very first game in the series)

Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3

I know there are others, but I can't think of any of them at the moment.

There was a little japanese game that was released for the Playstation One called "Silent Bomber", and that game was as tough as nails. Main characters weapon of choice is an assortment of bombs and mines, and used on enemy mechs with varied sizes and attack styles. The big bosses don't post much of a threat and can be disposed of (after 3 to 20 retries hehe), except for two minibosses. These were the human sized mech suits, the red guys have cyber katanas and the blue ones have either an assault rifle or sniper rifle. Both of which can fly and dodge real quick, fires a bunch of missiles often at you and a barrier that disables any sticky mines you attach to them. Sounds bad right? Now imagine an entire stage with just them and each level increases their number, last platform, 3 pairs go at you with no remorse. I did that stage for two months and only got past it like 10 times with little health remaining. Then I fight their big mama with negative results. I just had to stop playing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I never finished Doom 3. I just couldn't get pass through those damned Hell Knights in Delta Labs 4. >:(

Really? A chain-gun clip apiece and they should fold up like a house of cards. What difficulty did you play on?

I played on veteran. ;D

Yup. One chain-gun mag in their baby-blues should have taken care of 'em. The plasma rifle works pretty well too.