The BSA Project

dharh

I am not a fan of compilations either, really. The maintenance is always a question. I guess you already know about the possible cause of trouble when multiple versions of a file are packed in BSAs...

Er. Do you mean multiple version of a file packed in a single BSA? Or the same file (and I assume path) strewn over multiple BSAs?

In case of compilations I like them only when they make sense. The one I made has esps that all need the same resources or build up on one another. Grouping them together into the package lets me know (and keep a readme) that this is the case. I also don't have to second guess whether i've got one version of a resource or another version of a resource, I can just look at the readme to know what build order I used to make it. I also use wrye bash so I can also see conflicts very easily if im about to add a new mod.

I agree though that just putting a bunch of stuff together to make a compilation, just for compilations sake, is pretty much a waste.

The only other kind of compilation id like to see are storefronts and auto loot tables. I get tired of finding a cool armor or weapon and not being able to just drop it in and have it appear in a shop or as a possible loot.

I am not a fan of compilations either, really. The maintenance is always a question. I guess you already know about the possible cause of trouble when multiple versions of a file are packed in BSAs...

Er. Do you mean multiple version of a file packed in a single BSA? Or the same file (and I assume path) strewn over multiple BSAs?

In case of compilations I like them only when they make sense. The one I made has esps that all need the same resources or build up on one another. Grouping them together into the package lets me know (and keep a readme) that this is the case. I also don't have to second guess whether i've got one version of a resource or another version of a resource, I can just look at the readme to know what build order I used to make it. I also use wrye bash so I can also see conflicts very easily if im about to add a new mod.

I agree though that just putting a bunch of stuff together to make a compilation, just for compilations sake, is pretty much a waste.

The only other kind of compilation id like to see are storefronts and auto loot tables. I get tired of finding a cool armor or weapon and not being able to just drop it in and have it appear in a shop or as a possible loot.

the same file (with same filepath) in multiple BSAs can cause issues for Oblivion

Single mod compilations are fine. I meant packing mods together. Have you tried Item Interchange? It kind of does what you mentioned at the end there.

Edit: Item Interchange - http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=17557 <-- Require Wrye Bash and COBL

the same file (with same filepath) in multiple BSAs can cause issues for Oblivion

Single mod compilations are fine. I meant packing mods together. Have you tried Item Interchange? It kind of does what you mentioned at the end there.

Thanks for the heads up on Item Interchange. Looks good, ill have to play around with it.

Not quite sure what single mod compilations are if not just a single mod?

I think packing 2+ mods together when they essentially cover the same thing. Especially if you have a race mod and its high res replacer (the textures are the high res versions not the default that comes with the mod) into a single archive.

Thanks for the feedback btw. I'm learning quite a bit even with most of this failed experimentation.

Thanks for the heads up on Item Interchange. Looks good, ill have to play around with it.

Not quite sure what single mod compilations are if not just a single mod?

I think packing 2+ mods together when they essentially cover the same thing. Especially if you have a race mod and its high res replacer (the textures are the high res versions not the default that comes with the mod) into a single archive.

Thanks for the feedback btw. I'm learning quite a bit even with most of this failed experimentation.

I am talking about publicly releasing a compilation pack such as UOP, Ren's Beauty Pack, a starter pack of sorts. On your own computer, pack together whatever you want. If you mean you appreciate it when modders do things such as release body replacers along with the stock armor and clothing replacers and nice skin textures, then I appreciate that too. I do not care if they are released as a single archive, but there are probably plenty of people that combine them after downloading.

I am talking about publicly releasing a compilation pack such as UOP, Ren's Beauty Pack, a starter pack of sorts. On your own computer, pack together whatever you want. If you mean you appreciate it when modders do things such as release body replacers along with the stock armor and clothing replacers and nice skin textures, then I appreciate that too. I do not care if they are released as a single archive, but there are probably plenty of people that combine them after downloading.

That makes sense. Actually, what id probably like to do is modularize stuff like Ren's hair mod and the x117 mod so you can much more easily pick the exact race or hair sets you want before actually going into the game. With my current setup, which still only uses about 10 mods i've got about ~30 races, like 50 eyes, and 50 hairs. As neato as that is, there are only a few races and extras I care about. Clicking to next race, or eye, or hair is quite slow which can make getting the race/eye/hair combo you want cumbersome.

That makes sense. Actually, what id probably like to do is modularize stuff like Ren's hair mod and the x117 mod so you can much more easily pick the exact race or hair sets you want before actually going into the game. With my current setup, which still only uses about 10 mods i've got about ~30 races, like 50 eyes, and 50 hairs. As neato as that is, there are only a few races and extras I care about. Clicking to next race, or eye, or hair is quite slow which can make getting the race/eye/hair combo you want cumbersome.

Use BAIN. That is the easiest way to manage aesthetic-enhancing mods. They have too much overlap for OBMM weak conflict detection. It is rarely useful (and sometimes problem-causing) to run more than two race mods together, unless you run an odd number of companion mods.

Use BAIN. That is the easiest way to manage aesthetic-enhancing mods. They have too much overlap for OBMM weak conflict detection. It is rarely useful (and sometimes problem-causing) to run more than two race mods together, unless you run an odd number of companion mods.

I am actually already using the installers tab in wrye bash. So far I haven't had to use BAIN yet to alter mods, I just couple mods together so they don't conflict resource wise. One thing I wish wrye had was a scripting system for install, that to me is the only strength OBMM has. Well that and the BSA creator/viewer/extractor.

So far i've not run into problems with MBP++, x117, argonoid, and neko.

I am actually already using the installers tab in wrye bash. So far I haven't had to use BAIN yet to alter mods, I just couple mods together so they don't conflict resource wise. One thing I wish wrye had was a scripting system for install, that to me is the only strength OBMM has. Well that and the BSA creator/viewer/extractor.

So far i've not run into problems with MBP++, x117, argonoid, and neko.

BAIN does have a wizard, and the team is really working hard (as usual) to bring it up to snuff. OBMM may not have that hold for long...except for shader editing support.

BAIN does have a wizard, and the team is really working hard (as usual) to bring it up to snuff. OBMM may not have that hold for long...except for shader editing support.

That'd be awesome. Main complaint ive heard is that OMODs don't have good conflict resolution but great scripting for modular by choice installs. Whereas BAIN has great conflict detection but no way for modular by choice.

Then I could really go to town on x117 and MBP.

Who in the world said BAIN is not modular? That does not make sense. That is the whole point of BAIN packages. It is way easier to modify a install configurations with BAIN. Instead of uninstalling and reinstalling the entire mod with a few changes, you can just anneal a package in BAIN and it will only modify the necessary files. ...talk about misinformation...

BAIN Mod Installation Projects - http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1084204-bain-mod-installation-projects/ <-- want to see BAIN modular?

Edit: What Psymon has done there is right up your alley, if my reading comprehension has not plummeted...