SMAA text looks terrible?

brockman404

Everybody raves about how great SMAA is, but whenever I try to use it, Skyrim's text gets really crummy looking and distorted. I have tried taking a screenshot, but I can't get the same look as it's a post-processing effect. I am using SweetFX.

Nobody else out there seems to have this problem as I have searched for it extensively. What am I doing wrong with the settings? I have tried playing with the SweetFX settings and changed the preset from LOW to HIGH to ULTRA and it sometimes gets somewhat better, but not much.

This is driving me nuts!

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna necro this thread just so people who get here from the search "SMAA skyrim text" as the first link get an answer to this question. (Its how I got here looking for a slightly better solution)

Use Inject SMAA for "Slightly" better results on ULTRA. SweetFX doesn't quite have the same preset settings for ultra leading to text getting blurred more. Also, ALL, and I mean ALL injector style AA solutions will do that to text as they are used almost like an overlay that processes the image after everything has been rendered while more standard methods such as MSAA or Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing is done before the UI and various text items are added to the frame.

• 6 months later...