Agh, What Is Up With Pickpocketing!?

segasoulja

This has probably been one of the most frustrating experiences I've had with morrowind: the second Theives Guild quest. Sure, there are alternate ways to beat it, which I've used, but why is it that pickpocking never works, even on a quest meant to introduce new characters to the skill? My level three or so theif was only able to successfully pickpocket Ondres Nerano after twenty or so tries with 120% chemeleon! At this point I'm thinking "well, it's because my security skill isn't high enough, yeah!" So I try it with my level 20+ archer with Caius' ring and shirt casted, plus other items, all which bumped me up to 100%+ chameleon and sneak and security skills of 80+ points, and still NO LUCK!

Is there some sort of trick I'm missing here? It doesn't matter how invisible I am or how high my sneak/security skill is, nearly every time I'm in stealth mode (with the icon displaying, the entire time), I press the A button (Xbox player), take the item, press B to get out of the victim's inventory, and BAM! He's running after me ready to kill.

At first I thought this was just a buggy and broken system, but I've seen threads on other forums of people having great success with picking every character they see. Seriously, what's going on here, can someone help me with this?

IIRC, I think that the only things that affect the ability to pick pockets are sneak and luck. Security is certainly irrelevant and while chameleon will affect whether you can be seen it does not affect your skill at picking pockets. Luck does have an effect however.

IIRC, I think that the only things that affect the ability to pick pockets are sneak and luck. Security is certainly irrelevant and while chameleon will affect whether you can be seen it does not affect your skill at picking pockets. Luck does have an effect however.

Alright, I think I'll try this with 100% chameleon and some fortify luck and sneak items.

What I have found is that you have to keep the L3 button pressed the entire time your trying to pickpocket the person. and only get the item your wanting. Then it should work about 50% of the time. I even have trouble with my Super Prostitute charactor her stats are huge and still I get cought.

I agree.

@Pb...

My character is specialized thief......pickpocketing is all about first sneak, than luck. But there's catch, you must have high sneak stat and it must be earned (not fortified). And you can build high stats pretty fast whey spot an enemy try sneking your way around him (her, it) if you succed that will rise you sneka stats pretty fast. For example instead fighting my way through, in old mournhold (Tribunal, Goblin quest) I sneaked....I finished the quest with minimal casualties...and minimal drain of my resorces.

In short: Less direct attacking, more sneakin and you should be able to pick pocket with like 80-90% chance for success

one way to make your pickpocket easy:

1. go to the tes construction set

2. open the morrowind masterfile

3. go to the gameplay tab and click settings

4. go to the gameplay tab in settings and set ipickmaxchance and ipicminchance to 100

5. save the plugin

6. enjoy your sneaking!! :ph34r:

ps. this will let you pick anyone with any sneak skill.

Archived