Need some help here please,Random crashes

CLouDxL

Just like i told,Dragon age is Crashing randomly,i started playing it last night and i found out that the game is crashing at random times,once in the wilds,once in the tower of magi, and once before i found morgana

I am not running any other programs when playing dragon age(except avast of course)

My system specs are:Graphics card:Nvidia Geforce 9500 Gt

CPU:intel core duo E7300 2.66gz

ram:2gb

sound card:on board

Been running the game on vista 32bit

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heyas Cloud.

I'm really sorry to have to tell you this, but it's most likely because you've got about 2 gigs of RAM. This particular game is a RAM sucking pig, and will just keep eatting down ram until it starves itself and crashes. Same with the Dragon Age toolset. Its got a well-known memory leak issue, which so far they've made no known attempts at addressing.

Now granted, it also depends on a lot of other factors involved, but some folks even on a 6 gig Ram box have crashing issues.

Only real advice that I can give, other than upgrading your hardware and hoping that that helps, is to SAVE OFTEN.

You can also try trimming down your bootup programs list, to help conserve RAM from programs that you dont really know about, that are starting up at the computer boot.

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=214077&hl=msconfig&st=0

Just like i told,Dragon age is Crashing randomly,i started playing it last night and i found out that the game is crashing at random times,once in the wilds,once in the tower of magi, and once before i found morgana

I am not running any other programs when playing dragon age(except avast of course)

My system specs are:Graphics card:Nvidia Geforce 9500 Gt

CPU:intel core duo E7300 2.66gz

ram:2gb

sound card:on board

Been running the game on vista 32bit

Little more info please.

a) Is this your first time playing the game, or have you played successfully before and this is new behavior?

b) Which patch level are you using, none, 1.01b, 1.02a, or 1.03? DA:Awakenings (and Steam) automagically take you to 1.03.

c) Are you using the retail disc, or Steam version?

d) If you're at patch 1.03, (and not from Steam!) here are two things you can try:

1. Update your sound card driver. From the (very tiny) hints the Bioware developers have dropped about the upcoming fixes, it seems that the CtD issues may be linked to the code that gets executed when certain sound effects are triggered (including many AoE spells and the area transition auto-saves.)

2. Roll-back to 1.02. Yes, this takes a full un-install/re-install, and yes, you have to re-download and install any DLC (but at least you don't have to buy it again!) and yes, this means you can't play DA:A, but 1.03 seems to be the source of many (maybe most?) of the CtDs.

Hope this helps!

This is the first time i am playing the game,the strange thing is that i may play 2 hours without a crash and then play for 10 mins and then crash,i have installed awakening and i am using retail disc(the game says it needs 1.5 gb of ram on vista) :( (anything i could do about the memory leak?a plugin for it or anything?) Right now i havent got any money for new ram :P

This is the first time i am playing the game,the strange thing is that i may play 2 hours without a crash and then play for 10 mins and then crash,i have installed awakening and i am using retail disc(the game says it needs 1.5 gb of ram on vista) :(

Well, with 2GB RAM total in your system, you should be g2g. But with RAM, as with money (and as DarkeWolf said), more is better. Plus, adding some will make everything else you do on your system a little smoother too.

BTW: You didn't say what patch level, but DA:A takes you to 1.03. Try rolling back to 1.02 as described above.

if itt was a ram issue,shouldnt mass effect 2 be crashing too?i finished that game without crashing even once

Different coders, different code (especially on the patch teams!) DA:O wasn't particularly known for any CtD problems until 1.03.

if itt was a ram issue,shouldnt mass effect 2 be crashing too?i finished that game without crashing even once

One would think so. However, They run off two comepletely different game engines.

ME2 runs a modified version of the tried and true Unreal game engine. Which has been around for many years, and is popular because its a good core. DAO however, has a completely brand new engine which Bioware themselves developed (and burn me, but I cant remember what it's called!) but all said, it doesnt play well with lower end PC systems.

Unfortunately no, as I said before, they are not openly addressing the RAM Leak issue. Whether they are, or really aren't, they ain't saying. But getting them (the staff) to even talk about it on their forums is.... difficult.

Thandal, with all due respect, I respectfully disagree. 2g of ram isnt enough for this game for many people. With that (counting myself among them) folks suffer from lag that ranges from quirky to downright insufferable. (Ask Stardusk, combat for him is frustrating, in terms of lag) and repeated CtD once they progress further along into the game. I can usually play for about an hour and a half before mine starts lagging out, and giving video issues, then starts to CtD after about 2.25 hours. At which point I have to reboot the computer to keep playing or just let it keep crashing.

And this was prior to patch 1.03 as well as after :wink: Actually, on mine, 1.03 just made it worse.

Thandal, with all due respect, I respectfully disagree. 2g of ram isnt enough for this game for many people. With that (counting myself among them) folks suffer from lag that ranges from quirky to downright insufferable. (Ask Stardusk, combat for him is frustrating, in terms of lag) and repeated CtD once they progress further along into the game. I can usually play for about an hour and a half before mine starts lagging out, and giving video issues, then starts to CtD after about 2.25 hours. At which point I have to reboot the computer to keep playing or just let it keep crashing.

And this was prior to patch 1.03 as well as after :wink: Actually, on mine, 1.03 just made it worse.

same thing on my end but with out the CTD issue ,just terrible lag after 4 to 5 hours of gaming especially in witherfang quest inside cave that's 1.03 btw but i do get crashes once or twice in a week...... funny tho bioware keeps telling that it is my driver's/sound card that are not updated which in my case isn't so. and i still don't see any update from their previous post regarding new patches and update on memory leaks and how they are going to fix this.my rig info