Need some help here please,Random crashes

CLouDxL

Yeah, I was only pointing out that the OP is indeed above BW's mins, although they do recommend 3GB for Vista/Win7. (And I did endorse DarkeWolf's suggestion to get more... :turned: )

I can't speak directly to the difference that 2, vs. 3, vs. 4-or-more GB of RAM makes, since I'm running with 8GB on a [email protected], but I was getting the every-few-minutes CtDs as soon as I installed 1.03. Rolling back to 1.02 cleared them.

But since I had pre-ordered DA:A (remember how 1.03 came out just a few weeks before the release date?) I kept looking for a way to play it. Found the Fallout3 "Large Memory Area Flag Fix", which modifies the .exe's header to turn the appropriate bit from Off (0), to On (1). Neat hack, and seems to have done the trick for my system. Have had almost zero since then. Used that fix about two months ago now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:happy:

Thandal what does that "large memory area flag fix" actually do?Is it gonna help people like me with lower end systems?

Probably not. There is only some indication (the references to editing the .ini file for 32-bit O/S) that it might help on systems with 2-3GB.

What it does is set a flag in the header of the .exe (in this case, "daorigins,exe" to "Large Memory Area Available = True". "Large" being in excess of 3GB. And remember, 3GB is the max amount that a 32-bit Windows system can use. Some people with a 32-bit O/S do have/use 4GB. Mostly laptops where if the video sub-system is set-up to use system RAM, the extra 1GB can be put to work, (but it's still not available for programs.)

So for your rig, another GB would help a lot! It might be all you need. If not, rolling back to patch ver. 1.02 would probably stop the CtDs, but then you'd be stuck with the other bugs that 1.03 did fix, (but won't have the new ones it introduced! :ohmy: )and you won't be able to play DA:A at all.

Oh, and you'll have to google to find a site with the 1.02 patch. The "Official" site only has the most recent for d/l, although they describe all previous ones. (grrrrr... >:( )

Hi,

because of the memory usage, i have 6GB and during a DAO session the available memory is down to 1.5GB. I don't know how much of it is used be DA, but i think it is a lot. Windows is consuming about 1.5 to 1.8GB.

• 4 months later...
That crashing is not limited to older systems. I run Vista Ultimate 32 bit, have 4GB of DDR3 1333 RAM, a quad core Phenom II Black edition running @ 3.4ghz per core before overclocking and I get crashes due to the infernal memory leak. I finally just accept that I need to play for a while, exit out of the game, wait for a couple of minutes, check the Nexus forums or something, then restart the game again. This has cut down on my crashes considerably. I am even getting adept at noticing when things aren't going smooth which means a crash is coming. Crashes are just part of the deal with Dragon Age....wait until you have close to 100 mods installed like me lol.....then tweaking DA is almost a full time job. :tongue:

Um mm ,sorry to interrupt but I have played DAO ,many times with 1GB of memory, Medium graphics-texture no crash . Cloud 1st uninstall...reinstall set graphics to medium... and last but not least, like Thandal said, check your drivers. BTW i'm using XP (i thing its the best windows OS so far , so if u can, try making an alternate boot with XP .I think games like it more.Darn ,drunk a bit 2day ,sorry if i made any mistakes...and don't tell my mom she'll kill me.... o_O

Darn ,drunk a bit 2day ,sorry if i made any mistakes...and don't tell my mom she'll kill me.... o_O

For the drinking, or for the mistakes (in typing, if not in English!) :tongue:

I think your command of the language is at least as goodd as many natives'.

(And my typing would be a LOT worse without the Backspace key. :laugh: