Help with a new wold space (Tamriel size)

mizubankai

Simple question. I plan on taking a lot of time to create my own world space and quests for it. I have a plan laid out on how I want it to look, the people, towns, castles and whatnot. I want to know in what order you advanced creators suggest to do it. Should I create the entire world space then add all the towns and people or go at it with individual regions?

I am no advanced modder, however. I would recommend that you build your world and landscape combined with your towns etc. piece by piece.

So go with individual regions, if you were to build the entire landscape first you would get tired, loose motivation and creativity.

It is best to take it at an improvised standard I would say, take one region. Build a town and form it along with the landscape, just to get some variety, at the end of finishing a region you could add the NPCs there. Because if you will separate landscaping, town building and adding people into each objective you will loose will and motivation as progressing with one thing over time tends to get boring :tongue:

Edited by MikkHep

I think Mikkel nailed it perfectly. If you want my advice generally what I do is split my work into 4 sections

1. Landscape/towns or anything exteriors

2. Interiors

3. quests/journals or anything to do with lore

4. Adding new meshes/textures

Doing about an hour or more per day of each category tends to keep me more focused and less bored

I have been working on a large DLC sized area for over a year now, and that's probably the best advice I can give

Other than that good luck! I'll be looking forward to seeing your mod once its complete

I really want to do a project like this! I started a land awhile back as an experiment but the complex steps to make it all work together was so difficult to get right. Like getting the LOD to work right. I would love to generate lots and lots of open spaces and towns, and just make it available for an open canvas for people to add to.

I don't think a Tamriel sized world space is even possible I recall some havok bug that happens over a certain cell count (64x64 cells?) where things start to clip and drop, and bob up and down through the ground and such.

I would start off with a much smaller island, then see how much work it is, then expand from there.

You may want to read this if you're creating a large worldspace -

http://tambomedia.com/Site_Pages/tutorials/L3DT.html

It can do a lot of the tedious work, and gives you great looking landscapes.

I've got several of these on my hard drive. If you want some, you're more tan welcome to use them.

**Also explains what the Havok bug is, and how to avoid it.

Edited by Tamb0

• 2 months later...

You may want to read this if you're creating a large worldspace -

http://tambomedia.com/Site_Pages/tutorials/L3DT.html

It can do a lot of the tedious work, and gives you great looking landscapes.

I've got several of these on my hard drive. If you want some, you're more tan welcome to use them.

**Also explains what the Havok bug is, and how to avoid it.

Has anyone had success with the above tutorial? I can't get it to work for me. The heightmap comes out too dark and it seems like he skips some of the settings he is using.

There are no steps or settings skipped in the tutorial.

The tutorial is written for a 4096 x 4096 (starting size) worldspace. If your worldspace is smaller then you have to change setting to the recommended settings and stick with those settings through the rest of the tutorial.

I'm guessing you have a smaller worldspace, but used the settings for the larger one.

What size did you try?

You mention that the heightmap looks too dark,

L3DT does not use colour to determine height. The lowest point will always be black and the highest point will always be white. The colours are for visuals only. Each pixel in the RAW file created has extra data associated to the pixel and that data is the exact height of the pixel.

When you use Tesannwyn, it's this height data that is read and converted to the height on the worldspace surface.

If you create a RAW heightmap in an image editor, then no height data exists and the greyscale is used.

Edited by Tamb0