how did you learn to mod?

menagra

I admire the brilliant work a lot of those who stuck around to keep making fall out better. I would be lying if I didn't say I wished I knew how to mod myself. I am curious how the mod developers here learned their skills, and if they had any advice for someone starting out who wishes to learn and understand how to model, mod, etc.

Depends what you wanna do.
Like, if you type into Youtube "GECK tutorials" (GECK is main game editor), you'll get a lot of videos that explain various aspects of it and how to do it.
Or write "Nifskope tutorials" (Nifskope is program for editing FONV meshes) into google and you should find various explained things.

Google and youtube is your friend. :)

Though the GECK Wiki is woefully incomplete, and sometimes wrong.

Your best bet? Start out with something simple, like creating a copy of some armour and changing the stats on it. Then maybe give it a recolour. Then perhaps try putting a simple script on it.

Each time you achieve a simple task, you can then work on making it a little more complex. Before you know it, you will have timers running, variables being stored, game effects being applied and messages popping up. You may even get to the point where you can create your own weapon or companion from scratch.

Anytime you run into an obstacle or don't know what to do, post on the forums with a specific question and you will be much more likely to get specific answers.

That's how I've learned to mod, and possibly others.

Maybe you would. I look up things all the time, even on subjects I'm fairly experienced with, usally just to find some small detail or to look up information for someone else.

In any case, if you spot something inaccurate, I think you should at least make a note about it somewhere or delete it. Your change will be listed in the page's history, so it can always be reverted. This helps everyone. :thumbsup:

I don't. If it's something I've done before, I look at how I did it before. If it's something someone else has done before, I look at how they did it before. The GECK wiki is actually my last port of call for information if all else fails. That includes posting on these forums.

If I edited everything that I knew to be incorrect or inaccurate on the wiki, I'd be there all day. I'd rather spend that time modding :D And shouldn't the accuracy of the wiki be the responsibility of the people who made it?