how did you learn to mod?

menagra

If I knew what to correct it to, I wouldn't be looking on the Wiki, would I? :smile:

So I don't get how you could say that about the wiky.

In my opinion is a great source of infos, it's where I started and my first choice whenever I need an info. Definetely better than tutorials which use 00s on the IDs... then of course I'm not surprised when I see people which continue to post scripts with the same problems over and over.

And the wiky it's still updated, I invite you to check the latest articles about nvse 4+

Maybe you would. I look up things all the time, even on subjects I'm fairly experienced with, usally just to find some small detail or to look up information for someone else.

This. I've been modding for years and have always relied on the wiki for basic "how-to" information. I'm currently building a complex mod and have been using it intensively over the last few months to help me do that. There a handful functions that don't do what they claim to do, but other than that I can't think of anything I've found that is absolutely wrong. The wiki is, imo, a reliable source of basic information.

@menagra - I'd add the following tut to Ladez recommendation of the wiki which I would have given you if he hadn't.

Geck scripting language beginning tut

Maybe you would. I look up things all the time, even on subjects I'm fairly experienced with, usally just to find some small detail or to look up information for someone else.

This. I've been modding for years and have always relied on the wiki for basic "how-to" information. I'm currently building a complex mod and have been using it intensively over the last few months to help me do that. There a handful functions that don't do what they claim to do, but other than that I can't think of anything I've found that is absolutely wrong. The wiki is, imo, a reliable source of basic information.

Can't wait to see it.I still can't thank you enough for Willow.I'm having so much fun with her.

I suppose it could depend on what sort of modding you are doing. Seems that the vast majority of my modding is scripting, and I have found the wiki to be almost entirely useless when trying to find out what a specific condition or effect does, and how to use it correctly. The few things that are noted are often unhelpful or have no description at all. I would estimate that about 60% of the things I look up on the wiki are just blank pages, with no information whatsoever.

But this isn't really what the OP was about. Some people like the wiki, some people don't. It's usefulness in learning how to mod seems to be an individual preference.

Well, the whole point of a wiki is to put the responsibility in the hands of the users. A wiki is fully dependent on its userbase to make it up to date and accurate, users who may or may not be professionals. They state this in the disclaimer. Sometimes people mess up, it's bound to happen. But contrary to popular opinion, most people actually want to help and share information the best they can. I agree that it's incomplete in some areas, but really the only way for it to get better is for someone to come along and update it, so I think we'll leave it at that. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...