Dragon Age constant 100% CPU usage!

dawg15

Hey!

Ive seen a lot of threads about this, but i did not happen to find any solution.

The CPU usage is always 100% while playing Dragon Age except when the game is loading.

Even when i alt-tab the game to check something else the CPU Temp is 55°C - 60°C (137°F- 150°F). My normal Temp is ~ 45°C (112°F)

I have:

*AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ @ 2400 Mhz with stock cooling

*ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256 MB

*Asus M2N-E SLI

*3 GB RAM (DDR2 - 800 Mhz)

*Windows XP Professional SP3 ...

I tried turning all options ON/OFF, using Patch 1.0 - 1.2 - 1.3, and i also reinstalled it. Tried that CPU affinity trick, but that was useless.

I think this is unnecessarily too much work and surely harmful for the CPU especially during the summer. So i dont believe people actually play like that. :huh:

Other games rarely use 100% and dont strain the PC that much.

I'm curios if you guys have the same issue, please tell me if that happens with you too, or if you ignore it.

*And it looks like that:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4377/picsez.th.jpg

*Apps running:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5783/appst.th.jpg

Any help is appreciated very much!

You can have the best CPU currently available and it will still use 100%. It is just the way this game is. Stock cooling is never good though; I would suggest adding a few extra case fans at a minimum. If you are using a computer from one of the manufacturers that use a piece of plastic and a fan in back of the case to cool the cpu, keep the fan, scrap the plastic and get a real CPU fan and heatsink. A cheaper method is to pop the side cover and use a small table fan to blow air into the case. If you have Air Conditioning, turn it on :wink:

Er, I have to agree with the high CPU usage. For me, I'm typing this as Dragon Age is minimized, and it's using 100% too.

But as for temperatures? If this game is making your computer hit 55 to 60C, you might want to look at your computer's fans.

Because there's a heating issue here.

I could be wrong.

Also, it's a bit surprising that the game uses 100% and yet you can still use Firefox. :)

I fully agree with that. Yes, but several things can cause 100% CPU usage. Not just Dragon Age: Origins.

The main thing is a rise in temperature. And yes, having 100% CPU running for awhile can cause problems.

I didn't mean to say this problem wasn't happening, I assure you. I know it's a big deal, but I also don't know what to do about it.

It needs to be fixed badly.

Mine runs about 50%, but I also have a lot of things turned off, and I built my own computer that also does not have a lot of extra programs running. I would like to know two things about your system. First, from the pictue I see the task manager, but what applications are running? Also, how much RAM do you have, and how much RAM does your graphics card have? My computer is using a nvidia GEFORCE GTX 260M with 1gb mem plus 6gb RAM for the system. Intel duel core at 3.2 ghtz.

Mine runs about 50%, but I also have a lot of things turned off, and I built my own computer that also does not have a lot of extra programs running. I would like to know two things about your system. First, from the pictue I see the task manager, but what applications are running? Also, how much RAM do you have, and how much RAM does your graphics card have? My computer is using a nvidia GEFORCE GTX 260M with 1gb mem plus 6gb RAM for the system. Intel duel core at 3.2 ghtz.

There, i fixed it.

I have :

Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz (Presler)

Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT 1GB Graphic card (DDR2)

3GB Ram (DDR2)

And i cant play game without 15 seconds of delay,its like hell i just click and it appears minimum 10 seconds later,like online game lag... lol

I need damn fix for it!

CPU use : %100

Computer's Safes' Left cover is open,so theres no need for another fan..

Hi,

i have 60% / 80% / 90% / 60% (attachment, from everest sidebar). My settings are at maximum. So i think DA is consuming a lot of power and if you have "only" two cores it will be at 100%. I don't think it will cause problems if you have a load of 100% for a few hours. The main problem is the temperature, but if there is a problem with overheating the CPU should lower the clock or turning itself off.

There, i fixed it.

Ok, I see process "A rendszer uresja" running at 99% of the cpu. What is that process that is running? Most of the others are Windows programs except SmartDoctor which looks like a program for the motherboard. 3 gb of RAM and the game requires 1 gb, so you are ok there. However, that one process running at 99%, not sure what that is. Does it run all of the time? The toolbar at the bottom does not look like it's DA, but not knowing the language I cannot tell for sure.