Forbidden Lands - THE INTRODUCTION THREAD

fi5h1fishy

Just that it will probably take longer than one fourth of a year.

The speed at which i can work, im quite sure i could meet the deadline, but there is a chance i could go over.

But say if i do go over the deadline, that surely means i've added extra detail right! ;)

In answer to your questions;

1.Of course! Any mod that adds new landscapes, quests and dungeons is a winner in my book. And especially this mod, the ideas you've implemented sound very good.

2. I'll be one of the first for sure, keep me posted.

3. Yes

4. As long as you give it the proper amount of time

I Definitely will be keeping up to date on this, good luck modding.

I'm very glad that you're already eager to see it on completion!

As this is the introduction thread, i will be producing a new thread when i begin work on it, so the progress that i do in-fact make can be monitored.

Thank you, and i assure you it will be worth the wait! :wink:

Edited by fi5h1fishy

Looking forward to seeing this come through :smile:

Hope this comes out well; Also if you need help I can probably give some advice on landscaping the new land.

I'm glad that your looking forward to it!

I would love some advice on the landscaping, if its to suit your tastes then i will be right on it! :)

(NOTE: WILL BE BEGINNING THE MOD EITHER TONIGHT OR TOMORROW EVENING, SO A NEW THREAD WILL BE UP ONCE THE PROJECT HAS BEEN BEGUN. THIS THREADS PURPOSE WILL BE FOR THE COMMUNITY TO MONITOR THE CURRENT PROGRESS THAT I HAVE MADE ON THE MOD).

What is sounds like, honestly, is the kind of thing that never gets remotely close to finished. Setting your sights on creating "endless" anything is doomed to failure. If it's fun for you to create this way, great, go for it. Ultimately, modders need only answer to themselves. If you want to work on something that can realistically become a finished, polished work that can be shared with the community, you'll probably need to work out a few more concrete ideas and drastically reduce the scope.

What is sounds like, honestly, is the kind of thing that never gets remotely close to finished. Setting your sights on creating "endless" anything is doomed to failure. If it's fun for you to create this way, great, go for it. Ultimately, modders need only answer to themselves. If you want to work on something that can realistically become a finished, polished work that can be shared with the community, you'll probably need to work out a few more concrete ideas and drastically reduce the scope.

I do not really agree with this, I used to, then stupidly I started Discworld, which realistically should never have even seen the Alpha 1 test but is in fact a reality. The current project is approx 20-30 times the size and scope of anything I have ever done and the finished will probably surpass 100 times the size, yet I just said YOLO F IT and did it despite the naysayers, so more power to you man

I do not really agree with this, I used to, then stupidly I started Discworld, which realistically should never have even seen the Alpha 1 test but is in fact a reality. The current project is approx 20-30 times the size and scope of anything I have ever done and the finished will probably surpass 100 times the size, yet I just said YOLO F IT and did it despite the naysayers, so more power to you man

The only goal I see so far is the make the biggest, hugest land mod ever, with "endless" stuff in it (whatever that means) Maybe the OP has a lot more specifics in mind, but he or she has yet to reveal them. Even if your mod is very large, I would imagine you had some sense of what you wanted to include in it, and then set about trying to include all those things. Plus you'd made and released a couple of other, smaller mods first, so you had some sense of how much work would be involved.

Hey, I'm rooting for the would be author. I just like finished, released things, and this project has all the signs of a perpetually unfinished, unreleased thing.

Well, started off with some good feedback, but the rest is....well...helpful i guess.

I would like to inform all of you; even those leaving good feedback that i have a passion to mod. I have a passion to put myself to the test, and a passion to make you guys happy.

I will succeed. It will be detailed, and i assure you, it will be worth the wait.

I know its going to take time (Hense why im giving myself a matter of months). I know its going to be effort, and i know that detail needs to be put in every single aspect of it, as without this it would simply be terrible.

I assure you, this project is going to be time worth spent, and i hope that you appreciate the fact that i am willing to do this. :)

STARTING SOME WORK ON THE PROJECT NOW. WILL MAKE A NEW THREAD WHEN READY, AND THE PROGRESSION OF THE MOD WILL BE SHOWN ON THIS THREAD INSTEAD.

Feedback does not equal cheerleading. If that's all you want, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Pretend you're a writer, working on a novel. You go to two editors, and you give them the same pitch. "I want to write the longest book ever, at least 3,000 pages! It will have everything in it you've ever dreamed of: suspense, adventure, romance, philosophical introspection, fantasy and wonder, gritty drama and true crime. I will write this by myself, and I will do it in four months, and it will be legendary among all the novels that have ever been published!"

Editor #1 says "Awesome! Go for it! It sounds amazing, and you are amazing for doing it!"

Editor #2 says "Perhaps a 3,000 page novel will be unwieldy. Perhaps a novel should not be about all things at once? Maybe work out some characters, some core ideas, and start from there. Decide what you really want to say, and write a novel about that."

Which of those editors gave you actual feedback, and which one is cheerleading? Obviously, I'm not your editor, and we don't know each other, but (IMO) you won't be served very well if you only listen to those who encourage you and don't try to offer constructive suggestions.

Anyway, it's all good. Do your thing, man. I'll leave ya alone.

Edited by Corwin1971

Since the Skyrim mod scene is littered with unfinished, half-started mods (which is sad, seeing that if all the work of those half-finished efforts were combined, they would form into a complete mod) I'd say tempering your enthusiasm will pay dividends for you in the long run.

Having that "finished" mod feel (for a new lands/quest mod) is something I've only really seen in maybe wrysmooth and Helgen reborn, and I believe the amount of time, patience, and effort that goes into that process is pretty staggering. Often times I'll play a quest mod, and it's the little things that kill the package: a room that isn't properly cluttered, or a dungeon that felt rushed in development.

My recommendation?

Focus the mod around your particular modding strengths and try to simplify everything else. If you like making dungeons, but finding scripting a drag, have dungeon filled goodness with a more limited questing system (lots of notes that trigger quests, for instance).

Also, one thing I've noticed just looking at forums and such is a lot of modders have difficulty with the voice actors (and thus quest formation part) of their mod. I'm not sure if that's a totally astute observation, but just putting that out there.

I've always had an idea for a new lands mod that involved a new Island that you go to with on some kind of expidition. It would be mostly heavy on the dungeons and landscape and exploration would be an intergral part of advancing the storyline. The only NPCs would be those from the boat waiting on shore, and it would be simplifed down to a few people to trade with and a few characters who progress the story.

Edited by chacotaco91