No quests from Feran Sadri

Kultag

Skyrim wikis say that the Ring of the Beast should be at a radiant location, and Feran Sadri should give me the quest to gather them, called Rings of Blood Magic. However when Serana and I finished Harkon, the ring was right in the chest next to the door of the Chapel. Now the inventory says it's a quest item, even though I did not start Rings of Blood Magic at Feran Sadri. In fact, I can't start it at the first place, as the only option when talking to him is barter. The other inhabitants of the castle tell me to head for Sadri if I want to help, that quest leading to Sadri activates, but no quest at Sadri's. I have the Unofficial Patches (SR+DG+DB). So, was this ring being in that chest without even starting the quest a bug? Is this the reason why Sadri won't initiate any quests? How to solve this? My searches here and elsewhere suggested others had similar bugs too, but no solution was shown. Any ideas?

Solved, if with a workaround. I used the console command setstage to move the quest at various points.

Setting it to 0 didn't work: still no quest from Sadri, and I still had the ring.

Setting it to 10 (start) put the Beast ring in a lair, when I gathered it, I still had 1 of this ring in my inventory. I got the other ring, but the "return to Sadri" stage didn't come up, I had to use setstage again (both rings gathered). At this point, I had the Ring of the Beast still uncompleted (even if i entered setstage for that!), and the other ring's subquest was accomplished. When I got back to Sadri, the quest completed, and I could ask for new ones.

That was messy...

• 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...