No idea what to do, Mods not working at all with legendary edition.

EpsilionPrime

Been vacant a while, Installed Legendary Edition to get the required DLC I was missing. And upon reinstalling the mods I had been using I noticed very very few of them worked, some of them don't completely work.

I was wondering if there was any special process I should be going through to get mods to work. I have one version running on Steaem that I've all but given up on, and another version running without steam, installed to its own directory in Bethesda. Running the non steam version allows more of the mods to work but it seems to break the game. None of the body sets I use work at all, I use CBBE and better males, with the mature skin texture to make it less Fanciful. Mining modifiers like MIMx100 and any animation replacer I use refuses to work even after running FNIS. There are quite a few more, at last count 125+ mods so Im not going through the entire list.

Im concerned there is something I missed in my absence about getting mods to work on the latest patch. Or do I have to take a few steps back?

What are you using to install mods (eg. NMM)? And could you elaborate on how you separate the two games? For example, are they on different drives, and are you positive that the correct mods are in each of their data folders?

If I were you, then the first thing I would do would be to delete the Steam version and/or activate the legendary version on Steam. Having two versions simultaneously installed would just create needless confusion and may be asking for trouble imo.

When you say you reinstalled the mods, did you just copy them over from an old installation folder? I wouldn't do that. I'd start afresh and redownload your favourite mods, and find some good new ones. That's what I did after I returned from a 2 year hiatus. It was a lot of work but it was worth it. Many mods require the 1.9 version, and various other big mods, including SKSE, have been updated over the months.

So everytime you install a mod you copy it into both Data folders to see if it works on each? Or you separately install using NMM for each installation? What's your process? I'm finding it hard to understand how you're juggling these two versions. Either way, I'm not sure why you keep both versions installed, especially as there's a chance they're getting muddled together. Clearing up that would definitely be my starting point.

How many Skyrim folders can you find inside C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local? If only one, then that's probably part of your problem. Skyrim stores its load order in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim, and if both versions of the game are trying to use the same folder, then you'd probably get the problem you're getting. If so, do yourself a favour and ditch the non-legendary installation. You may be able to activate the legendary installation on Steam if you want the cloud saves and automatic updates (that's another question: is your legendary version up to date with version 1.9.xx? )

99% of the users have no problem using the steam version. ALL of our support is for the Steam version ONLY. If you can't get the legitimate version to work - why would you expect one that was modified by some unknown hacker to work? :wallbash:

Using the steam version - try the verify steam cache before doing ant other troubleshooting.

Move your Steam client out of the MS paranoia protected folder ( program files folder) Steam even tells you how to do this without having to reinstall anything: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231

Be sure steam is already running when you start the game .

Start it using the steam launcher the first time (With NO mods at all) as it needs that to make certain settings to the ini files

Throwing in mods before the game and ini is set up and working properly can cause problems. :rolleyes:

After that first time, you can use the NMM launcher ( or another launcher that works with steam)

Well I only installed the Non-steam version in its own folder to run seperately without needing steam, the same way I installed Oblivion and Fallout back in the day. It runs normally without needing steam to work. And when I did use the steam version none of the mods worked, it was almost like steam was playing middle man and rerouting all the mods I was using and disabling them.

I have a hard copy of the legendary edition I bought from Gamestop and a copy I bought off steam, The steam copy didn't run the mods I was using so I purchased the hard copy and installed it myself in the classic fashion. Neither copy has been hacked, unless possibly the steam version, I have a creeping suspicion steam is playing big brother on any of the games I was using.

I fail to see what the confusion is, I stated I had installed skyrim to the Programfilesx86/ Bethesda directory like it used to be when I had my fresh release of the game when it came out. And I redirected NMM to the appropriate data folder.

Speaking of the games not running off steam, I have KSP and Terraria that I have copied from the steamapps folder to a flash drive to run on seperate computers without steam. In much the same way I can install to a custom directory such as my bethesda folder in the manner it used to be done and run the game normally. I originally bought an updated copy of skrim and any available DLC off steam, when the mods didn;t work I bought a hard copy from gamestop. I hate repeating myself over and over.

This is'nt proving useful at all, I have even redownloaded the steam version and again, modified the NMM pathing to the steamapps folder. The mods are installed properly, I have checked, they are just not working. All I seem to be getting in response are accusations and circular logic. I have an older copy of skyrim I bought when the game first came out, modded it successfully and had it running great. After the DLC's came out and updates, it stopped running so smoothly. I took a break for a while, had a kid, and now that I have more free time Im trying to get back into skyrim, being that I never did complete the game. So it's not like I have no experience with NMM and modding games, I modded morrowind and oblivion thuroughly before, delt with file conflicts and load order issues, Im now having difficulties with even the most basic of mods working at all.

Edited by EpsilionPrime

Also having trouble following the install routine, and logic...

I Bought the Game...11/11/11 (release Day, Collectors edition), the install i am still Using is that version...it requires steam. Steam has kept this version updated. when the DLC's were released i added them to my install. The Game is up to Date, and has ALL DLC's including the 3 HR texture packs. IT always required Steam. Bypassing Steam is not helping here. Oblivion never required Steam, ..I also have that, along with ..Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind , and have played them all. Skyrim is the first and only to require Steam.

Let Steam Update your Game. Most mods, and SKSE require you to have the latest Update to the Game. The 2 versions can be conflicting in the Registry and the APP data folder.

I Now have 252 mods running on a 3 year old install of Skyrim.

I had to purchase the game again on steam because it wouldn't let me purchase the dlc's without owning a copy of the game, and adding my non steam first copy of the game to my library didn't seem to count as owning the game. And I installed it in a seperate directory afterwards because I thought that perhaps steam was the cause of my mods not working anymore. Bringing up the registry problems does make me cringe a bit, I dealt with those early on, but since then I haven't noticed an issue with multiple installs.

And I have re-downloaded the steam files for skyrim and reinstalled the mods and it still doesn't work. I am actually lost as to why nothing works anymore.

I just wanted to know if there was a specific conflict with 1.9 that I need to adress to get my old mods working again.