Creation Kit: Is it possible to create a new item by cloning an existing item and changing it's look?

IntentionalBlank

Yes, I'm using all the unofficial patches. They've fixed numerous issues for me (misc. quests immediately popped up in journal, I absorbed my first dragon soul in literally 20 dragon fights [thank heavens for player.modav dragonsouls!] etc.)

I'm thinking maybe I should make a new Keyword (ArmorFur) and apply it to all Fur Armor pieces (vanilla and my Circlet) and add that Keyword to the perk. Sound like a good idea? If it is..... how does one make a new Keyword?

I would only recommend that if you are certain that you are not using any other mods that alter the Matching Set perk. I believe the USKP makes it apply to other materials besides the defaults.

Another popular fix is to add the ArmorMaterialHide keyword to the fur set. I would suggest loading up the game and checking to see if 3 pieces of hide armor plus a piece of fur satisfies the perk conditions. If so, just add the keyword to your circlet as well.

You create a new keyword the same way you do any thing else. Go to the keyword section in the Object window, right-click and select New. You can also right-click in any keyword menu for any form and select a New. Don't worry about choosing a color.

By the way Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade has armor circlets, makes fur armor craftable, and has a Matching Set fix. I don't want to discourage you from learning to mod but you might want to check that one out and see if it already has all of the fixes you are looking for.

You were right!

I got a set of Hide Armor and wore the Fur Helmet (and vice-versa) and the set bonus worked. So I added ArmorMaterialHide to my Fur Circlet and now it grants the exact same armor bonuses that Fur Helmet does (to both Fur Armor and Hide Armor!) As far as I know, my Fur Circlet is now behaving exactly like a Fur Helmet, except not looking awful.

Big thanks to GreyFox77, SnippyChris, and Lofgren for your help!

PS: As for Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade, it looks great, but I already use Circlet Helms and Dragon Priest Circlets, Lost Art of the Blacksmith, and Legendary Smithing Upgrades. I've been using these for hundreds of real time hours in the game, and I have also crafted circlets, enchanted to my preference, and upgraded to legendary before resetting my skills for enchanting and smithing, so I can't currently replicate the circlets for my sets in the new mod until I retrain and reperk my skills... actually, I just remembered I simultaneously enchanted and improved the helmets at the same time just in case the circlets were unavailable for some reason while I was retraining. I'm a genius! I'd assume the smithing mods would conflict with this one, but I also see that A.) They're years out of date, and B.) They don't have nearly the same features. I want to switch over to this one, but before I do, do you have any recommendations to do it safely?

You were right!

I got a set of Hide Armor and wore the Fur Helmet (and vice-versa) and the set bonus worked. So I added ArmorMaterialHide to my Fur Circlet and now it grants the exact same armor bonuses that Fur Helmet does (to both Fur Armor and Hide Armor!) As far as I know, my Fur Circlet is now behaving exactly like a Fur Helmet, except not looking awful.

Big thanks to GreyFox77, SnippyChris, and Lofgren for your help!

PS: As for Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade, it looks great, but I already use Circlet Helms and Dragon Priest Circlets, Lost Art of the Blacksmith, and Legendary Smithing Upgrades. I've been using these for hundreds of real time hours in the game, and I have also crafted circlets, enchanted to my preference, and upgraded to legendary before resetting my skills for enchanting and smithing, so I can't currently replicate the circlets for my sets in the new mod until I retrain and reperk my skills... actually, I just remembered I simultaneously enchanted and improved the helmets at the same time just in case the circlets were unavailable for some reason while I was retraining. I'm a genius! I'd assume the smithing mods would conflict with this one, but I also see that A.) They're years out of date, and B.) They don't have nearly the same features. I want to switch over to this one, but before I do, do you have any recommendations to do it safely?

Glad to hear this is resolved!!! Glad we could help as well

I don't know enough about Lost Art of the Blacksmith to offer advice on how to uninstall it. At the very least you will lose access to any items added by the mods. Most likely you can just remove them and make a clean save and everything will be fine, but honestly unless CCO has a feature you can't live without you're probably best off just waiting until your next new character to make the switch.

Well, I was feeling reckless, so I backed up my saves, uninstalled those three mods, and installed CCO (and it's recommended mods.) As expected, I lost all my circlets, but as the other two mods were just about crafting and improving vanilla stuff, I didn't lose anything else. I went back to my HQ, and between all the ingots I've been hoarding and smelting down the mass of armor in my "merchant bin" that I hadn't sold yet, I had plenty of materials to get back to 100 smithing (though I had to Legendary my Archery skill to get the perks for it.) The mass results of my crafting, plus all those petty, lesser, and common soul gems I've been filling and hoarding, should easily get me to 100 enchanting soon.

TL:DR I've replaced my outdated smithing mods with your suggested mod, and everything seems to be running smoothly... although I've lost my custom Fur Circlet I've spent the last 4 days developing. :dry: Oh well, the lessons in using the Creation Kit were more valuable anyways. :laugh:

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the appearance of circlets? I want to make a gold diamond circlet with the two smaller gems on the side being sapphire or ruby. I have tried going through the textures to see if i could change it that way and i could not find a texture for it. can anyone help???

If all you want to do is change the texture then it's not difficult to make your own. Just use an existing circlet texture as a template and then muck about in any photo-editing software, like GIMP or Photoshop. It sounds like you want the same texture but different colors, in which case it's very easy. (You didn't need to revive a 2+ year old thread for this.)