Dazip files not appearing

Legionaryprime

@Stronglav; You have WHAT problem? MegaT had several, the basic one was not understanding mod packaging and filename extensions and how certain browsers (lookin' at you, Chrome and IE11) change the extension to what they think is the correct one.

I download winrar archives instead of dazip. :O

Most mods are packaged as compressed archives (e.g. ".zip", or ".7", or ".rar" files) even if they are single files and/or don't really need compression. These need to be EXTRACTED from the archive before being used in the game. That's not new, or unique to DAO mods. That's the way it's been since the beginning of using compressed file formats for file transfers. One needs the appropriate program to unpackage the files. The common ones can handle extracting files from all the common formats.

Certain mods for certain games can be employed directly from an archive, but not the majority. And further complicating things is the fact that some browsers (lookin' at YOU Chrome and IE11) think "they know better" and change the extension on a download to ".zip" based on markers in the file header even when that is a mistake.

Most mods are packaged as compressed archives (e.g. ".zip", or ".7", or ".rar" files) even if they are single files and/or don't really need compression. These need to be EXTRACTED from the archive before being used in the game. That's not new, or unique to DAO mods. That's the way it's been since the beginning of using compressed file formats for file transfers. One needs the appropriate program to unpackage the files. The common ones can handle extracting files from all the common formats.

Certain mods for certain games can be employed directly from an archive, but not the majority. And further complicating things is the fact that some browsers (lookin' at YOU Chrome and IE11) think "they know better" and change the extension on a download to ".zip" based on markers in the file header even when that is a mistake.

Thats my problem.Im supposed to download a dazip but instead I get zip archive. :((

if the file is supposed to be a dazip and a browser changes it to a different extension, just change the extension.

Be careful to confirm that it was SUPPOSED to be a dazip file. Because of the 'helpful' browsers that change the extension, I've started to upload .zip files that include the .dazip, release notes and whatever else I decide to put in there. If the file wasn't supposed to be a dazip, changing the file extension isn't going to make it work.

if the file is supposed to be a dazip and a browser changes it to a different extension, just change the extension.

Be careful to confirm that it was SUPPOSED to be a dazip file. Because of the 'helpful' browsers that change the extension, I've started to upload .zip files that include the .dazip, release notes and whatever else I decide to put in there. If the file wasn't supposed to be a dazip, changing the file extension isn't going to make it work.

How do I change the file extension?It doesnt show on Win7.

Also I have another problem:cutscene lag.I did some searching and the problem is directX11.

It doesnt have directX9 libraries.That includes PhysX and C++ old libraries.

So I need to find those.

Also I have another problem:cutscene lag.I did some searching and the problem is directX11.

So I need to find those.

Taking the above points in order:

Renaming Files

0. Displaying the file name extension is an option under "View" in the File Explorer... Just tick the box

1. While still in File Explorer, find the downloaded file

2. Right-click on the file name

3. Select "Rename" from the menu

4. Change the extension back to what it was supposed to be

Getting older programs to work correctly

How did you do your installation of DAO? (A fresh, clean install will include the appropriate PhysX and DX9 libraries. And you are running with an nVidia GPU, right?)

So I need to find those.

Taking the above points in order:

Renaming Files

0. Displaying the file name extension is an option under "View" in the File Explorer... Just tick the box

1. While still in File Explorer, find the downloaded file

2. Right-click on the file name

3. Select "Rename" from the menu

4. Change the extension back to what it was supposed to be

Getting older programs to work correctly

How did you do your installation of DAO? (A fresh, clean install will include the appropriate PhysX and DX9 libraries. And you are running with an nVidia GPU, right?)

I installed the game and the PhysX and directX said that newer stull already installed so dont need to install

Yes I run Nvidia Geforce video card.

Edited by Stronglav

I installed the game and the PhysX and directX said that newer stull already installed so dont need to install

Yes I run Nvidia Geforce video card.

What I'm asking is HOW you installed the game.

If from disc, the PhysX and DX files are on the disc itself.

\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

\software\PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware.exe

On Win 7 Home Premium, my DAO installs always require two additional steps to be able to run the game, else it errors out and crashes before the main menu:

installing this DirectX package;

adding the '-dx9' switch to my shortcuts (ex.; "D:\Program Files\Origin Games\Dragon Age\bin_ship\daorigins.exe" -dx9)